Ground Flaxseed

It's perfectly safe as long as it's freshly ground (it will go rancid within 10 minutes of being ground apparently). WHen my dog had cancer one of the things I fed him was cottage cheese blended with flaxoil and then I ground some flax seeds and mixed that in. There is something good in the freshly ground seed that is missing in the oil (lignans or something - a potent antioxidant). Anyway - he loved it. I used to also add honey and/or fruit to it and in fact I ate some of it myself LOL

Either the oil or fresh ground seeds are excellent anyway. :mad Good for the heart, hair, skin, you name it :(

If you do grind your own seeds you can make it fairly fine but just be sure not to "heat" it when you grind it and feed it straight away.

Hey staffyluv. The original protocol by Johanna Budwig apparently recommends both the oil and the ground seeds (tho she recommends a proprietry mix that includes the ground seeds but stops them oxidising - going rancid - for those who can't or don't want to grind their own).

http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/budw...ementation.html

It's really not very gritty - no more so than the ground egg shells I give my dogs anyway. I didnt find it was rough on my dogs tummies (or mine) but if you're just using the oil that's good too.

I hope Ollie does okay with his battle!!

Flaxseeds/oil should be rotated with other oils or fed in a blend - don't make it the only source of Omega oils you feed.

Absolutely... Ollie has fish oil as well and he also has fresh fish like tuna and salmon (not the canned stuff).. I did offer him sardines once and he walked away...

spottychick, yes I know about the ground flax but unfortunately chemo damaged his stomach and digestive tract somewhat and his diet has to remain pretty bland, so it is only the oil for us.. The ground stuff tends to give him runny poo, so we avoid it now. We did try it in the beginning and we still have some here.

spottychick, yes I know about the ground flax but unfortunately chemo damaged his stomach and digestive tract somewhat and his diet has to remain pretty bland, so it is only the oil for us.. The ground stuff tends to give him runny poo, so we avoid it now. We did try it in the beginning and we still have some here.

Oh sorry to hear that about his tummy - poor love! The oil will do tho - it's a shame the other oil Budwig recommends isn't available eh!

I really hope you have success with your treatment for your lovely boy. It's such a difficult thing to deal with!

I did offer him sardines once and he walked away... - Bless him!

I have also nursed a dog with cancer and I fed her the cold pressed flaxseed oil. It is kept in the fridge at the chemist. Can't comment on the ground seeds though ............. off to do some research.

Thanks for all your replies...I've yet to give them a go, will pop a small quantity in her next batch of food I make up.

Luckily she is one of those greedy chis who eat anything - including a raw piece of eggplant I dropped while making dinner last night ;)