How Do I Teach Max To Drop The Ball?

slk

He loves to play fetch. He loves his tennis ball. But how do I get him to drop it when he brings it back.

ATM he races after it, races back to us and then stands just out of reach and we can't grab him OR the ball, and we only get it when he accidently drops and it and we scramble for it.

Tips???

Swap the ball for a treat, he will soon learn that giving up the ball is a good thing as he gets something tasty and gets to chase the ball again. then slowly reduce the frequency of treats.

other more knowledgeable folk may have better suggestions.

If he won't swap for a treat, use a second tennis ball. Only throw it when he has dropped the first ball, you might need to make it "come alive" first, just don't throw it until he has dropped the first ball. Then you pick up the first ball and repeat.

Another tip: toss the ball behind you so that he is always running through in a line. This way you will automatically get him coming in closer and not stopping out in front of you.

More tips here (article on tugging, but same principles apply): http://www.clickertraining.com/node/727

Doh. Clever clogs you lot are! Never occurred to me to use a treat. He is VERY motivated by food (show me a puggie who isn't) so yep, that'll probably work. Off I go - back with an updated :laugh:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
If he won't swap for a treat, use a second tennis ball. Only throw it when he has dropped the first ball, you might need to make it "come alive" first, just don't throw it until he has dropped the first ball. Then you pick up the first ball and repeat.

Another tip: toss the ball behind you so that he is always running through in a line. This way you will automatically get him coming in closer and not stopping out in front of you.

More tips here (article on tugging, but same principles apply): http://www.clickertraining.com/node/727

Swapping for a treat or a toy (even a ball too) will make him release the original ball. As soon as he dies this, reward and praise. Your dog will learn that releasing is a good thing. Consistency is important when training so do it as often as you can :D

Good luck!!!

• 5 months later...

I did this with my GSD when she wouldn't give the ball back. As soon as she saw the other ball in my hand she raced back and dropped the first ball, ready to chase the second one. I am using this technique again to build more drive for the ball - we're having a great time, it's definately a favourite game :clap:

Edited by gsdog2