Four Year Old Saves Brother From Dog Attack

Nic oh lah

THis is awful, poor child.

I'd like to ad that I think many are a bit too ready to think a 'new' dog of the same breed will be just like their other one and that a dog that is 'good with kids' (cats, whatever), may not be that way with ALL of the said above. These issues need very careful preparation and ongoing supervision.

I too do not think (according to info) that this dog was a 'dangerous' dog. He surely could have torn the little girl to bits. A toy held up near a child's face and waved around is a disaster. Such a shame for everyone concerned. :laugh:

But not the time rub the family's face in it either.

Maybe not, but there is no other time - the headline message the family is happy to spread of 'don't adopt adult dogs' will last. The real causes won't be examined.

I don't blame the family in most dog attack circumstances that get posted on here - a lot of behaviour by dogs that others excuse I find totally unacceptable. But that the family can come out and say what they did after their own actions in this just astounds me really.

If a 4 year old girl was able to get the dog away by kicking and punching it, and the dog didn't turn on her, then the dog was probably not intending to attack anyone and doesn't sound all that vicious. Note there sounds like only one injury to the kids face which doesn't suggest it "continued to bite and maul". It doesn't say anything about whether the dog was growling etc or just biting to get the toy and got the kid instead. Anyone, let alone a small child, holding a toy up for a newly adopted dog to leap at is obviously a disaster about to happen.

This is disgusting. That mother should never have left a child/children that young alone with ANY dog, no matter how long they'd known it. Stupid Stupid! And now the dog has had it all because people don't take the time to think about how to introduce a dog into the home.

These people should never be allowed to have a dog - hopefully they won't get another one because of this.

:laugh:

Firstly poor child, he didn't understand the dogs intentions and silly mother, who now will hate and tarnish the name of staffies.

Agree sooo much, the amount of times my boxers and staffy have caught me whilst playing when i was a child, with absolutely no malice but unfortunately their sharp teeth can hurt, even just turning their head with their mouth open.

I totally agree with everyone elses response too, 'mauling' i think not, an adult would have trouble pulling off any dog that meant business.

The new owners should've know how scarey being in a new home is for a dog, now the poor dog is dead, and for what? just chasing a toy that was he was being told to chase.

I know have 2 bull breeds, one 6 months, one 3years, i also have a 3month old baby girl and can't emphasise how much supervision is required. i'm sure the issues will be more prevelant when she can walk and open doors!!

I also do not play rough with either of them, or encourage any jumping, just incase they decide its is fine with little people.

It would be a bigger win if the recommendation was to keep a close eye on a new dog with kids. That didn't happen. Not good. But not the time rub the family's face in it either.

It's not the family's face that needs rubbing in it.....it's their brains, in setting up this situation, that need some remediation.

The woman's account of the situation, quoted in the article, shows she's learned little from it.

It's no greater rocket science not to leave young children alone in a car, than it is not to leave the same young children alone with a strange dog. Both are foolish & neglectful. One brings the law....the other brings a self-serving account in a newspaper.

Classic case of it's everyone else's fault.....including the dog's... except mine.

I'd sit the parents of the young children down, to complete this exercise:

"It's my responsibility, when bringing a new dog into the family, to (1)...................., (2)...................(3)................. (4)..................... & (5)................."

If they can't do it, go out & find some answers. If they won't, then don't get a dog. But if they still do.....& something bad happens....they couldn't complain about being labelled neglectful.

Edited by mita

Their 4yo went in kicking and hitting the 'attacking' dog off her older brother?!?! They are lucky it wasn't BOTH of their children hurt :laugh:

Silly, silly people! Hopefully they've learnt a valuable lesson. They are very lucky the situation wasn't any worse :laugh: .

since none of us were there its a case of nver know.

although i would NEVER leave anyone near the gentlest girl i own if they had food in their hand. she just opens her mouth and chomp!

lost a finger nail n she didnt even notice.

somehow i suspect the toy was the total focus of the dog and the rest was a bit like my fingernail.

in the wrong place at the wrong time.

people dont seem able to realise they are not really 'fur kids"

they dont know a digit or nose or whatever body part too close to a toy, food whatever needs to be avoided when excited and not paying full attention.

yes some are savage by intent but more injouries occur during play than any other time and just jumping up to grab a toy and send a child flying if it is a young child.

sooooooooo few people seem to have been around animals enough to remember this and never leave young children alone with their pet.

as for what a child can do? well someone mentioned the pencil down the ear.

i know a hysterical parent found their young pup dead its mouth and throat full of food, stuffed their by their child who assured them he was "just feeding it and it went to sleep and wouldnt wake up"

its not just the child in danger.

Edited by asal

This made me very angry today because it may impact on rehoming perfectly fantastic dogs.

These people SHOULD NOT own dogs really if they are not prepared to constantly supervise.

I found it peculiar that a toddler was able to beat off a "savage" dog - what crap. Not possible if the dog really meant business and also, where did a child that age get the idea to hit and kick a dog? Really I have to wonder what sort of home this was.

I'm sorry the child was bitten and sorry that the dog died but it's like anything, you should not generalise and that's what is happening here. I just hope it doesn't impact on rehoming decent dogs.

We have no idea if the dog had ever bit before,,,,,or why the dog bit..

The DAD is as much to blame as the mum....stop blaming the mum...

My dogs got in a fight afew years ago,,,while trying to break them up my GSDX tried biting one son,,,,but not the other..

BOTH sons were trying to stop my GSDX she was the instigator...my pit just got stuck defending herself...

Noone can ever know how or why..

The son my GSDX tried to bite was her best mate,,,who saved her,,,,(my other son had nothing to do with her)

Dogs do bite,,,,for whatever reason,,,,we should NOT leave them alone with kids,,no matter how long you have had them....but it is hardly just the mums fault,,,,The DAD wasn't doing anything...he could have stayed and watched the kids with dog...

Short and long,,is they didn't know anything about dogs,,,,,that is 75% of the people out there....

Should be no flame throwing,,,should be working out how to get the message out////

Edited by Nannas

Kids left alone with a dog they've had for only one hour ;) another case of stupid parents. ;)

Four year old fights off adult dog, yeah right reminds me of another "story" of an old lady who the newspaper claims fought off a Rottie with a broom stick. :) :D what a load of crap. :(

These parents have the hide to tell others not to adopt adult dogs, what a bloody joke. These people should not be allowed to own a dog.

one would think this so called vicious savage dog attacking a small defenseless child would leave many bite wounds and not just a small one on the nose, poor child and poor dog. :)

The DAD is as much to blame as the mum....stop blaming the mum...

The mother said she blames herself. So she should and the father should as well.

Neither of them ended up getting bitten - their kid did. They didn't get PTS because of their mistake - the poor dog did. The stupid bloody newspaper should have run a story informing people about the dangers of leaving children unsupervised with dogs, not warning people against taking in adult dogs :D

Who in their right minds would leave small children alone with a dog especially one new to the household. :thumbsup: Perhaps the headlines should read "Stupid Parents Strike Again". All to often the dog gets the blame and often it is not that a dog is savage but a victim of circumstances. If the dog bowled over the child while he had the toy he probabaly put his hand up to his face while he was crying(still holding the toy) and the dog has tried to grab the toy and got the poor childs nose into the bargin. If the dog was indeed savage then I don't think a 4 year old would have stopped it. Poor dog no doubt has paid the price with a death sentence. :rofl:

WTF!! The child was holding a toy up NEAR ITS FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on people!!

I doubt this dog was being aggressive OR MAULING the child!

If it was mauling the child IT WOULDNT HAVE A FACE!

Once again the dog pays for stupidity with its life!!

The family had a staffy for 14 YEARS!! they should know that breed has a high prey drive and can push over a toddler!

People need to write into this paper and correct the story. this only creates fear in getting a older dog, which could do a lot of damage.

I'm glad the mother takes responsibility for her mistakes and I hope she has learned her lesson and others have also.

Don't leave children alone with dogs

Don't leave children alone with a strange dog

Find out the history before taking in a an adult dog if you have children (or even if you haven't got children).

I wish the article made the point clear though :rofl: it makes it look like another vicious Stafford attack on an innocent child.

exactly, and to me she is just as bad as if they had left both of the kids unsupervised with a power toll or by the side of a swimming pool. By the information in the article, the dog was just playing, and now has been killed, all because of the parents stupidity, and now they want to stop older dogs being rescued? They have only themselves to blame, they created this problem, and how many times do people need to here never to leave young kids alone with a dog (any dog for that matter), for it to sink in. Shame their own son had to suffer, and the poor staffy had to be PTS for them to learn this lesson

That poor child. I couldnt care less if the child was teasing the dog or not, the idiot parents[and thats what they are] shouldnt have left a dog they have known for less than a day with a child. Kid will be kids.

Poor dog probly thought he was on a good wicket in a new home and hes gone within a day.

Edited by chrisjc