Minced Chicken Carcasses As Food For Dogs

Lollydog

I have recently been roundly told off by our trainer for feeding our dogs 'too much carbohydrate' - Hills Science Diet, rice and carrots, with the odd egg and occasional sardines. I think she had a point, so have been making a lamb stew (lamb, mixed veg) and serving it with just a little Science Diet.

In the interest of economy, I today bought some minced chicken carcasses. Apart from smelling like part of the human anatomy that probably shouldn't be mentioned here, it seems to have crushed bone in it. (Well, duh! - it's a carcass!) But, are the bone bits safe for the dogs to eat?

I use minced chicken carcasses/frames as part of a meat and vege mix ... but some minced chicken can contain a lot of skin and fat.

My boys also love the chicken frames/carcasses whole to munch on :D

Edited by Tilly

The bone pieces in the mince are fine for the dog to eat, but it shouldn't be cooked.

I prefer to give them whole carcasses because it's good for their teeth too.

Couldn't agree with you more. Dogs need to chew, and my two miniature schnauzers have all their bones as a whole and have absolutely no problem. In fact, you can see the delight on their faces when they crunch up those bones lol.

I have given mine both. I have noticed that some minced chicken frame smells worse than others. I used to get some awfully foul stuff from the Fyshwick markets when I lived in Canberra but the stuff I buy here doesnt smell like that. I dont know why some have that smell, maybe they've gone off or something. I was wary of it and stopped buying it anyway.

I have been feeding the minced chicken frames from Leonards to my shelties for over 12 months now with no issues. I like the stuff from Leonards because it is fresh. Went in one day and they would not sell me what they had as it was from the day before was told to come back in 10 or 15 minutes and they would do me a fresh batch. Great price too at only a $1 per kilo and they split it into 1 kilo bags for me so I can freeze without having to rebag.

Mine also get chicken frames, wings or lamb necks 1 or 2 times a week.

TB

I have been feeding the minced chicken frames from Leonards to my shelties for over 12 months now with no issues. I like the stuff from Leonards because it is fresh. Went in one day and they would not sell me what they had as it was from the day before was told to come back in 10 or 15 minutes and they would do me a fresh batch. Great price too at only a $1 per kilo and they split it into 1 kilo bags for me so I can freeze without having to rebag.

Mine also get chicken frames, wings or lamb necks 1 or 2 times a week.

TB

Wow! You get a bargain. I pay $1.90 a kilo here and you're right it's always very fresh and doesn't smell at all.

I sometimes give mine whole frames too but they don't last very long, about 2 minutes if I'm lucky !

I purchased some this morning from the Deli section in Richies. $1.75 per kg. It smells as well. I thought that was odd as I have purchased from elsewhere before - although in that case it has always come frozen, so I thought that might have made the difference. But it didn't smell like this lot does after I thawed it out. Or perhaps that the smelly stuff contains 'more' of the chicken that just its frame ???

Mine have always had minced chicken carcus as part of there diet and chicken frames. they have shiney coats and are healthy and fit.

they also have minced beef, diced lamb, sardines or makrel and meaty bones for variety.

Caesar is a pig so he also get mashed pumkin to fill him up and help get extra weight of him.

I have recently been roundly told off by our trainer for feeding our dogs 'too much carbohydrate' - Hills Science Diet, rice and carrots, with the odd egg and occasional sardines. I think she had a point, so have been making a lamb stew (lamb, mixed veg) and serving it with just a little Science Diet.

In the interest of economy, I today bought some minced chicken carcasses. Apart from smelling like part of the human anatomy that probably shouldn't be mentioned here, it seems to have crushed bone in it. (Well, duh! - it's a carcass!) But, are the bone bits safe for the dogs to eat?

Feeding your dog meat without any bone is going to cause an imbalance in the diet. The 'bony bits' are what makes the diet complete.

I'd continue what you are feeding but ditch the rice and the stew. Adding a bit of meat to the dry food won't hurt, adding minced carcusses or RMB's is even better, but if you want to feed a home made natural diet it needs to be RAW and balanced.

Search the health forum here and you will find HEAPS of info on raw feeding :thumbsup:

Hills Science diet is probably not the best dry food out there either..

I also use the minced carcasses from Lenards, it never smells like the pet mince does. Just gone up from $1 a kilo to $1.50 but can't complain, its cheap enough.

I mix in eggs from my chickens & a little grated cheese sometimes for the cats & some pasta & vegetables too for the dogs.

They have this 3 or 4 days a week. Raw wings & some ox heart or beef, sometimes liver, on the other days + a mix of science diet & other dry for a small pick in the evening.

Poodles don't have shiny coats but my cats have a lovely shiny sheen on them. Mine all do fine on it.

There is no exact right thing to feed, its how well they do on what suits them.

Some dogs look great on a tin of Pal & cheap dry. Don't know how but they do.

Its great for dogs and puppies but please DON"T COOK IT!!!! Grains are also not a natural food for dogs and you will find most bickies are loaded up with rice and/or wheat. You can also buy BARF (biological appropriate raw food) patties from most pet and produce shops and some vets.

Yep - minced frames area good start!

Even better would be the whole frames, so your dog can chomp them up herself :thanks:

You can save yourself the effort of cooking for your dog- They do not need cooked food ...do better on raw. Cooked bone is NOT a good thing at all for dogs :)

We have been feeding the minced chicken frames for 12 years now and the girls have lived well past their original life expectancy so cant complain at all.

The vet said that they are well and healthy

Originally we were adding rice and veggied but we got lazier as they got older and now just straight mince with a piece of frame or chicken necks or something wing tips if the butcher has them.

I used to feed the minced frames from leonards,but we dont have one here.I like the fat/bone content in it and my dogs always looked well.They also get roo tails,flaps,whole frames,veggies,fish and eggs mixed with their raw mince.

But i would not cook it,esp if it has bone content.