Increase Fertility In Female Dogs

Icemist

Hi,

I am currently looking for any tips on increasing the fertility in one of my bitches. She has had 2 previous litters, one of 6 and one of 3.

I am looking at using frozen semen on her this time and would hopefully like to make her as fertile as possible before the insemination takes place.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can use?

We found that giving a low dose of thyroid meds for about two months prior to her coming into season and whilst she was being bred, increased the number of whelps considerably. Works great to up the sperm count on males as well.

It's for UNDER active thyroid that many have been using. I had great success with males, one male in particular that had about 2 sperm under a scope during a test, went to very viable to freeze in less than three months on this method. Friend of mine had a Dane bitch that had many misses and two pups and when she put her on the meds, had a litter of six without issue and no misses prior to the litter and when the meds were started. This bitch came from a long line of big producers, so going from many misses and two pups to 6 is an amazing jump in my opinion...since then, my friend puts all her bitches on thyroid meds and has had a much better success rate of breeding than she had for almost 5 years of misses and low pup numbers.

As something simple I have always found Kelp powder added to food to be beneficial. It contains numerous trace minerals and nutrients which can boost repro health (as well as normal health!). For example, lack of copper will cause problems with conception, lack of iodine will cuase problems with conception and retention of female embryos.

Hi,

Thanks for the tips.

My bitch hasn't hung around to come into season, and I have the semen ready to come up to NSW at anytime, I will start up a new tread, but cane any one in NSW recomend some that has a good stike rate at frozen semen implants.

Aloe Vera juice for both male and female.Every amino acid and stacks of vitamins and minerals.

Angelson if adding thyroid drugs does this - do you think this is an indication that the thyroid is under active or that there is a lack of iodine in the diet? What drug specifically do you use?

Thyroid testing showed normal levels, but that is in fact what we had thought at first....in truth, we can't figure out why it works, it just does.

There are quite a few 'brand names' of thyroid meds out there (in Canada) and not everyone was found to use the same, so I'm thinking it doesn't matter the actual brand name, so much as the dog is getting an additional dosage over what the normal levels are indicated.

There aren't 'official' studies done on this sort of thing, just a bunch of frustrated breeders and stud dog owners, giving something a go and hoping it works....in almost every case of males, noticable increase in semen production and in most, substantial increase....in females, at least 25% increase in whelps.

• 2 weeks later...

Angelsun, do you know (or anyone else) know where "Conceptabitch" can be purchased from? I know it is from Solid Gold but i am having trouble sourcing it here and overseas. I read somewhere that is has been discontinued? I there a similar product?

Go to the Frozen Puppies site and they have a formula called Boostyabitches not sure how they spell it. But it is on their site.

Thanks Oakway, they are currently out of stock. Ive emailed Solid Gold to see where i can get Conceptabitch from, here in Australia.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a naturally sourced thyroxine replacement? Not sure how I feel about using it otherwise...Is there side effects, Im sure my vet woldnt go with something like this, I like to have my info all set before I try & put my point across :thumbsup:

Is there a naturally sourced thyroxine replacement?

Sea Kelp is surposed to enhance thyroid function and metabolism. You can can it with all the other vitamins in supermarkets and chemists.

A lot of breeders seem to use this pre season in an attempt to improve litter outcomes.

• 5 weeks later...