Gps Tracking Microchip/collars

Kelly_Louise

I was reading something on the internet that led me to believe that GPS pet tracking is actually available?

A GPS microchip would be fabulous (my greatest fear is losing Sasha - but not Chloe cause she'd never leave our sides even if we tried!!). I saw that there are some collars (or collar attachments) available but run on batteries that need to be changed frequently.

Does anyone know of anything more effective that can be relied on to last more than a couple of days that could accurately track a pet or if GPS microchips are actually available?

Hi,

My brother uses these on his hunting dogs and loves them. He gets them from http://www.jsenthunting.com.au/ they are at goulburn but i know they post stuff out.

PowerMax Long Range CollarThe NEW PowerMax Collar with Highintensity Safety Lights, your choice of Red, Green, Orange or Blue.

Three super bright LED lights on the collar help your dog be seen at night, up to 3/4 mile away!

These bright lights can be turned on or off with the tap of a magnet so you can turn them off during a Hunt using the tracking only mode, or on again for night hunting using both.

Designed for the serious and demanding hunter, this hound collar runs for months of normal use on regular AA batteries. This means you can get your batteries anywhere and they don't cost $12 to $20 each!

Collars run in long-range tracking mode for 500 to 600hours on new set of batteries. Or, 7 to 14 nights of hunting with the lights turned on.

A small green LED flashes during normal use, switches to red when only 5 days life left.

Machined casing with tripled sealed waterproof construction for years of heavy use.

The magnetic switch does not need the magnet strapped to the collar but only requires a tap to turn on and a tap to turn off.

DOES YOUR COLLAR COME WITH THIS MANY FEATURES

* Longest distance single antenna collar on the market

* Bombproof case machined from aircraft aluminium

* Completely Waterproof

* 3 High-intensity inbuilt L.E.D.S Available in Blue, Green, Red and Orange

* Up to ½ mile visibility

* Turn L.E.DS on and of when needed

* Motion Sensor “Down Dog” And Treed indicator

* Lowest operating cost of any collar

* AA Batteries

* Low Battery indicator

* Tap on / Tap off magnetic switch

* Designed for the most extreme conditions

* 3 YR Warranty

Specifications

Frequency Range: One Fixed Frequency

selectable from the following ranges:

150.790 – 152.490 MHz (Version 151)

173.300 – 173.999 MHz (Version 173)

Emission Type: A1 (Unmodulated CW pulses)

Pulse Duration: 60 mS (Typical)

Pulse Period: 1.2 Seconds (Typical)

Power Output: 80 mW EIRP (Maximum)

Note: Radiated Power depends on antenna environmental conditions and may be reduced by proximity to conducting objects.

Bandwidth: Less than 30 Hz (.03 KHz)

Spectral Purity: Second Harmonic: -63 dB from fundamental

Third Harmonic: -70 dB from fundamental

Other Spurious Emissions: -60 dB or better from fundamental

All: Less than .08 uW EIRP

Frequency Drift: Less than 1 ppm (typically 450 Hz) between -30°C and +75°C

Less than .5 ppm (typically 225 Hz) aging per year

Battery: Two AA Alkaline

Battery Life: Typically 30 days

PowerMax Transmitter $300

Frequencies 173 or 150-152

You need a decent antenna to pick up the signals from the GPS satellites, similar to those in GPS enabled mobile phones and car navigation systems. An implanted microchip antenna woudn't have sufficient gain to get a reliable signal.

Have a look at GPS collar website.

I think some of the (pig) hunting dog gear suppliers in Australia stock GPS tracking collars nowadays.

I also found a collar attachment at www.pawtracker.com.au that seems okay - if your dog is lost you call a number, and it registers - tracks the attachment and sends a map of the location at any given moment.

Which is great, but the battery only lasts 2 days. Still, if you had an indication of where you dog is and could get there then hopefully 2 days would be plenty.

To charge it up every 2nd or 3rd day though for full time use would be time consuming and probably make it irrelevant - more so to only be used if you are actually going somewhere where there is a chance you might lose sight of your dog.

But for everyday use to track a lost dog, a GPS microchip would be awesome!! :)

• 8 years later...
3 hours ago, Animal House said:

This was a thread from 2010, why bring it up?   Ohh, another new user commenting on GPS tracking units.   Are you a friend of JakeJohnson by any chance?

Westboy and Jakeboy are besties, both are the managing directors of GPS trackers are Us (a newly developed GPS system where no batteries are needed you just plug them into mains power, dog can then easily be found at the end of the extension cord)

• Haha 10