Anyone Know About This?

Jyra has these scabby infections on her face. They first occurred around about the time we were going to the vet for her annual vaccinations (early December), so I showed him them, and he said that they looked like a fungal/yeast infection and he put Jyra on a course of antibiotics, and they did clear up. It was only on the left side of her face.

Now, today, I just noticed that she has this infection again, but only on the right side of her face. If I pick off the yellowy bits, it makes her bleed a little, but the yucky bits are gone then. I have taken some photos which I shall post below.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I don't think it is an allergy, as it is only localised, and she is not scratching at it. She has been eating a raw diet for 6 months, and this has only occurred now. If it had anything to do with her food, I would have thought it would have occurred earlier.

Should I pick off all the yellowy bits and let her form regular blood scabs, or should I just leave they yellowy bits there and not intervene?

Should I wait to see if they will get better by themselves, or should I take Jyra to the vet and get her put on antibiotics again?

The concern is that she has never had them before, but now she has it in early December, it cleared up, and now it has recurred. I don't want this to be an ongoing thing and have to continually be getting antibiotics all the time!!

Ok, here are the photos, if they are of any help. However, they are not the best quality pictures:

This is the spot where I picked at:

Rimg0712.jpg

This is below the lip, where I have not picked at:

Rimg0714.jpg

And again (sorry it's a bit blurry)

Rimg0715.jpg

This pic is a bit blurry again. The red spot above the lip is where I picked, and a bit below, you might be able to see a yellowish area:

Rimg0716.jpg

Lastly, this is a bit closer up than the previous photo. You can see the yellow bits better, but they sort of just look like the tan hair:

Rimg0717.jpg

(PS. Mum has had a look and she thinks it's different to what she had before, but I still think it is the same. I think it is the same thing but worse, bigger).

Edited to add: The yellowish bits could be dried up pus or something.

Edited by Purple Julie

malaseb is not safe for them to ingest (I don't think) - so you really can't use it around the mouth unless you are very careful to remove it all afterwards. I do agree that it's likely to be fungal - in which case antibiotics are unlikely to really help.

They look much like what my cocker gets - simply because he is always moist there. I would avoid antibiotics. Keep the area as dry as possible in between treatments of apple cider vinegar. Technically (according to my microcbiologist mum) vinegar shouldn't work but I've been using it on my guy for a while now and it does help - although I think it stings a bit as he avoids me putting it on him. I would apply it after every meal and put a little in the water bowl too. If that doesn't help after a week or two then definitely see the vet. Also, see the vet if it seems to be really bothering her (or you!) or if the area is increasing in size. definitely see the vet immediately if she starts to appear ill or if the area gets really hot or pussy. BTW - the yellow stuff doesn't look to be puss to me - I think it's dried lymph. (i.e. - weeping stuff.) Puss is less clear and thicker and doesn't tend to dry up like that. JMHO.

If antibiotics worked last time then it is most likely an infection.

It looks like it might be a hot spot which weather wise and breed wise would make sense.

It definitely could be a range of other things, but it looks infected to me, and if it is a hot spot they spread REALLY fast. You should take her back to the Vet.

We also have a lot of foxes and sarcoptic mange in the outer east- so either way you should take her back to get it looked at.

Mel.

That's really strange Purple Julie. Reminds me a bit of my girl at the moment who has two dry scabby patches on both her back legs. I have trimmed all the fur right back and clean off all the scabby bits and end up with small raw wounds. Have noticed also when I use the slicker brush around these areas, heaps of dry skin like dandruff comes loose.

I thought the apple cider vinegar might be the go to kill any possible infection but when I wiped a bit on she screamed blue murder and spent half an hour licking the area. I felt awful as I realised I was in fact putting acid onto an open wound. I think it's best to make sure she gets in her food or water every day instead, which she usually does. I guess you could try a very dilute mixture to see how she tolerates it.

We have just been to the vet for her vaccination and he looked at it and basically said he had no idea what it was or how to treat it. Said anitbiotics would be overkill (as it's not that bad) and if she was human I could try Vitamin E. Yep, helpful! He said to continue to pick off the dead scabby bits though.

I'm putting it down to hormones as she has just finished the world's longest season.

:champagne:

Edit to say I also think Malaseb would help. Give her a bath twice a week and use a soft brush with Malaseb on it to remove all the scabby bits and debris. It wont hurt to use it around her mouth. My breeder treats lip fold dermatitis by wiping around the mouth with Malaseb.

I reckon a nice natural remedy might also be to swim in the ocean and dry off in the sun (if you are near a beach), but definitely talk to your vet about possible treatments. Perhaps a swab could be taken to find out if she does have a treatable bug there.

Good luck with it.

Edited by Toohey

Antibiotics should not be used in the treatment of yeast and fungal infections. Antibiotics only kill bacteria (as the name suggests). Using antibiotics actually predisposes people and animals to fungal infections - lots of women get thrush when they use antibiotics. This is because antibiotics kill all bacteria - not just the bad ones. We have bacteria living on our skin and in our gut that are healthy - they all compete for space and nutrition and keep everything in balance. Kill off the bacteria and the yeasts grow out of control! Try topical applications first and avoid antibiotics if possible. Make sure your girl is getting plenty of acidophilus natural yoghurt in her diet to maintain a good balance in her gut. You can also use Yakult if you can afford it.

Hi..

A dog of ours had "poxy" bits on her neck...I scrubbed the area once a day with a betadine surgical scrub.Scrubbed from the inside out..RINSED WELL with bottled/boiled water,patted dry with paper towel. Luckily it cleared up fairly quickly.

Betadine will help for bacterial and/or fungal conditions,AFAIK,if the dog isn't allergic to it, of course..

If u can..try another vet.

although I think it stings a bit as he avoids me putting it on him.

You want to try putting vinegar on your own open wounds before you put it on the poor dog - it hurts a lot. that is very cruel and crueler to suggest someone else puts it on. You shuld be called atomic. Don't you like dogs?

purple julie buy some

STOP ITCH or

QUIT ITCH

from the petstore or produce. It is an iodine based treatment which is antiseptic, anti fungal and antibacterial and for open wounds If it is a fungal thing this will fix it, and unlike straight iodeine it wont make the hair fall out.

No vinegar, wonder atomic was not bit.

I'd go for Malaseb - its fine to use around the mouth, just make sure to rinse well because it tastes a bit foul :) It's generally well tolerated and doesn't seem to sting too much if at all, it's got a bit of an anti-pruritic effect too. Still yet to be convinced of the benefits of iodine as anything other than a surgical scrub.....much prefer working with chlorhexidine....

Purple Julie I can't make out the photo's very well.... my question to you is: do they look like coldsores?

Horses get herpes... the proper name for coldsores.

Maybe it is something similar and if so its a virus and antibiotics wont work. It could of been a coincedence that the sores went away with the antibiotics, as herpes (coldsores)appears and reappears whenever it likes..

I have used very good quality lavendar oil on hot spots and similar with very good results. It does not sting as I use it on any cuts or scapes I get. I have been bitten several times by feral cats and have never had any infections, due, I feel to the oil. My GSD's hot spots always cleared up quickly.