Frozen Vs Chilled Insemination...

Missymoo

ok from the last thread I still have time to decide so I thought Id pick brains again..

This is a difficult to breed bitch, semen is coming from inerstate....

What would be better....chilled or frozen?

Frozen Puppies are being used, can someone give me an idea of what cost I am looking at for collection and shippment too please, needing a ball park to get oney together!

(uggh sorry for spelling, keyboard is playing up and keeps missing letters!)

Edited by Missymoo

It would probably be best to ask Frozen Puppies these questions. They are the ones with the experience so should be able to give you stats on success rates and approx costs.

It also depends on how the fresh chilled is to be inseminated. If it is surgically then there is probably not much difference to frozen unless the semen doesn't thaw well. How old is the dog? Many dogs don't freeze well after about 6 or 7 years of age, so that could be a decider.

If the idea with the fresh chilled is to use it without going in surgically, then I would guess that the success rate would probably not be as high. As I understand it, the most accurate way with either is to do a surgical implant into the fallopian tubes.

We use Frozen Puppies in QLD out at Laidley. They are very good either way and have very high success rates for both. If I was bringing in from interstate I would always go chilled and just do a normal AI, the semen is so much more viable and frozen puppies can split it and do 2 AI's over 2 days. I would only use frozen with a surgical if there was no other way (dead dog or overseas dog) Price wise, frozen with a surgical will cost you double what chilled will.

Also depends on where the semen is coming from. If its capital city to capital city - no problems for chilled, but if there are going to be multiple transfers from an intrastate location, you could be cutting it fine and better off with frozen.

fifi

We use Frozen Puppies in QLD out at Laidley. They are very good either way and have very high success rates for both. If I was bringing in from interstate I would always go chilled and just do a normal AI, the semen is so much more viable and frozen puppies can split it and do 2 AI's over 2 days. I would only use frozen with a surgical if there was no other way (dead dog or overseas dog) Price wise, frozen with a surgical will cost you double what chilled will.

ditto this, except in my experience it's three to four times more expensive to do surgical, harder on the bitch, and a lot more hastle . . . more prog testing required . . . the timing of insertion is highly critical so you end out having to hover for days waiting for just the right time.

On the other hand, if you get access to some highly desirable frozen semen, it's wonderful to have it in storage as backup for situations where, say, the planned chilled semen donor gets ill or the parcel gets lost in transit. Because the ideal day for chilled vaginal insertion is a couple days before that of surgical insemenation, having something in the freezer may save you having to skip a season when the chilled stuff doesn't come on time.

Edited by sandgrubber