Review Of The Rspca's Role In Prosecuting Animal Welfare Cases.

Steve

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01...?site=riverland

The South Australian Environment and Conservation Minister, Jay Weatherill, has asked for a review of the RSPCA's role in prosecuting animal welfare cases.

Five prominent south-east graziers had about 100 counts of animal cruelty against them dropped last week, after it was revealed the RSPCA was unable to tender any evidence to the courts because of an error made by a staff member.

Mr Weatherill says he has ordered a report on the RSPCA's handling of the prosecution case.

He says the RSPCA generally has a long history of successfully prosecuting cases of animal cruelty, but says a review is still needed.

Some SA independent legislative councillors and the Greens have called for the RSPCA's powers to be handed over to the police.

I don't know that a review wil really will cut it, Mr Weatherill. I know, I am hardened cynic.

But, it is about time all politicians in all states took a long hard look at why a charity is allowed to be a policeman; that aspect alone should be enough to keep a parliamentary committee busy for a few months. The matters of potential conflict of interests, coercion and corruption are in there somewhere methinks.

Then there is the matter of being advisors to government to get laws based on extremists agendas, laws that they will be enforcing and obtaining revenue from, and yet laws that are made with key stakeholders locked out until it is a done deal in parliament.

Not to mention the $90 per dog per day boarding fees for dogs that are seized, when commercial boarding kennels charge less than one third of that.

Smelly concrete and wire is not the Rydges of doggy accommodation.

Souff