33 Dogs Killed In Frenzy

PuggaWuggles

Neighbour kills 33 dogs in 'bloody frenzy. http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...327-952,00.html

A KIWI man has sought the ultimate revenge on his neighbour by shooting 33 of his dogs dead in a "bloody, rifle-killing frenzy".

Bad blood had been brewing between Russell Mendoza and Rowan Hargreaves since Monday when Mr Mendoza found his fox terrier mauled to death.

He was sure one of Mr Hargreaves' 39 dogs was to blame and sought retribution the next day by heading next door to the quarry property armed with a .22 rifle and a 12-gauge shotgun.

Mr Mendoza asked Mr Hargreaves, a mechanic who lives in a broken-down truck surrounded by car wrecks, to sign a note agreeing to the mass shooting.

What ensued was what police in the small North Island town of Wellsford described as a "bloody, rifle-killing frenzy".

The owner, who said he'd felt "under enormous pressure" to sign the note, stood behind a shack to shield himself from the "bloodbath".

He said the sound of his canine companions being shot was unlike anything he'd ever heard before.

"They were screaming, making sounds dogs just don't make," he told The New Zealand Herald.

"When one was gone, the others knew they'd be next but they had nowhere to go."

Dozens of dogs were found dead in a corner where they had been cowering to avoid gunfire.

Others were shot in their cages, hit either by ricocheting bullets or at point-blank range.

"There was a pile of puppies right alongside the campervan the dog owner lived in," Senior Constable Barry Rose said.

The youngest were three weeks old.

Four pups hiding under their dead mother in the van and two other dogs survived.

Sen Const Rose said it wasn't a straightforward case of a neighbourhood dispute.

"They got along quite well as neighbours before," the officer said.

"There was no dispute, no nothing, not until the little fox terrier was found dead."

On top of that, it seemed Mr Hargreaves was more aggrieved by the manner in which his animals had been killed rather than the fact they had died.

"But whether it had been under duress or not he had given permission for the dogs to be shot but not in that manner," Sen Const Rose said.

The Society Protection of Animals will investigate whether the killings were carried out humanely.

Edited by PuggaWuggles

Dozens of dogs were found dead in a corner where they had been cowering to avoid gunfire.

"There was a pile of puppies right alongside the campervan the dog owner lived in," Senior Constable Barry Rose said.

Four pups hiding under their dead mother in the van and two other dogs survived.

These words just break my heart. :rofl::rofl:

I should know better than to read these things at work by now. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I hope both men are punished extensively for this!

OMG - why did he have 40 dogs to begin with?

I can understand the grief of losing an animal in an attack - and I'm sure it's a thought a lot of people would have had, but to actually go and shoot all those dogs? What a maniac...geez, hope he rots.

I just saw this on The Australian - shocked beyond words :rofl: Poor puppies. Why would the owner sign the note!? Call the damn police! Its all very odd
... armed with a .22 rifle and a 12-gauge shotgun.

If I had an angry neighbour with two guns standing in front of me I might just do what ever he wants.

Not condoning anything. Just saying.

Just read this online. What a terrible, horrific and awful thing to have happened! Those poor dogs/pups! What a horrible, horrible man! What sort of owner would sign such a thing? Why didn't he call the police??

:rofl:

Maybe the note signing was under duress? The guy was armed with a .22 and a shotgun after all...

Just read this online. What a terrible, horrific and awful thing to have happened! Those poor dogs/pups! What a horrible, horrible man! What sort of owner would sign such a thing? Why didn't he call the police??

:rofl:

Maybe the note signing was under duress? The guy was armed with a .22 and a shotgun after all...

Fair enough. (Must have missed that bit.)

:thumbsup: poor dogs, RIP

I'm thinking that there may have been something wrong with the man and he may not have understood what he was signing, just a thought from reading that he lived in a broken down bus and has so many dogs.

Huh??? Why did he have so many dogs? This is a shocking story! Those poor terrified animals.... Both of these blokes should be locked up.

Locked up for a long time and 'fixed' for the guy with the gun. I think the other bloke deserves a lot of sympathy even if he may not be my type.

These words just break my heart. :):thumbsup:

Ditto. :laugh:

OMG - why did he have 40 dogs to begin with?

I can understand the grief of losing an animal in an attack - and I'm sure it's a thought a lot of people would have had, but to actually go and shoot all those dogs? What a maniac...geez, hope he rots.

To grieve for a dog means you are an animal lover. No animal lover could massacre cowering dogs. I don't think he was grieving, I think he was angry and completely off his trolley.

The thing is, he had to know that the 3 week old puppies were not involved in the killing of his fox terrier, and yet he targeted them along with all the others. He just wanted to kill them ALL, regardless of which dogs were involved, if it even was any of them. I agree, what a maniac, and I too hope he rots.

R.I.P. poor dogs and hope the survivors aren't traumatised for life.

The whole situation is getting weirder and weirder...the man who killed the poor dogs says his conscience is clear!!!

I have included a link to The NZ Herald paper, there are also photos of the tiny puppies, perhaps don't go to the last photos, I wish I didn't (I can't believe I looked, now I can't stop seeing those poor poor dead dogs), this is just terrible.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....jectid=10623297