Dog Washed Out To Sea - Rescued

poochmad

WARSAW (Reuters) - A dog had a lucky escape when a Polish boat rescued him from an ice floe that had carried him more than 100 miles up a river and out onto the icy waters of the Baltic Sea.

"My crew saw... a shape moving on the water and we immediately decided to get closer to check if it was a dog or maybe a seal relaxing on the ice," Jan Joachim, senior officer aboard the Baltica, told Reuters Television.

"As we got closer to the ice floe we saw that it was a dog struggling not to fall into the water."

Ship engineer Adam Buczynski managed to scoop the dog off the floe onto an inflatable dinghy and wrapped him in a blanket.

"He didn't even squeal. There was just fear in his big eyes," said Buczynski.

The dog was first seen on the ice floe some 100 km (70 miles) inland to the south on the Vistula river but firemen were unable to rescue him. When the Baltica crew found him, he had already drifted some 24 km (18 miles) out to sea.

"We were in the right place at the right time," said Joachim, noting that they rescued him shortly before night fall.

The crew are now trying to locate the dog's owner.

Poland is in the grip of bitterly cold weather, with night temperatures in some areas falling as low as -34 Celsius (-31 Fahrenheit).

News Story - Dog Rescued From Sea

:hug: Poor dog must have been so frightened during the drift...all alone and not knowing what is happening. There is a fairy dog mother there helping the crew spot this poor little thing...Ohh I am just so happy he is rescued.

God I'm pathetic - that nearly made me cry.

Then I'm pathetic too. :thumbsup: Serious lump in the throat material. Poor baby must have been terrified. Hope he makes it and ends up with a loving home, be it his original owners or a new one.

OT - The journo needs a smack on the back of the head NCIS style though...drifted UP river and out to sea?

hortfurball -

Aww I know what a beautiful story - Love your NCIS comment hahaha I can just see Tony smacking Mcgee right now LOL

Funny, 'cos I pictured Gibbs smacking Tony as I wrote it. :)

As ship's mascot, does he stay on the ship? I'd think the poor lad would be better off on terra firma.