Stafford Kills Tiger Snake In Bannockburn

becandcharch

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/...6-1225824325869

more here - http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/articl...41431_news.html

ZENA the staffordshire terrier is being hailed a hero after saving her three young owners from a lethal tiger snake.

Staffordshire terrier Zena defended her owners, the Schultz children, Brendan, 7, Jared, 6, and Sarah, 3 - when the snake tried to slide through an open screen door into the playroom where the youngsters were eating their dinner about 6.30pm on Tuesday, The Geelong Advertiser reported.

Zena stopped the snake but was then vulnerable to its deadly bite. However as the siblings cried for help to save their dog she snapped the snake's spine, preventing it from striking.

"It was terrifying," mother Patricia said.

"I walked into the rumpus room to ask the kids if they wanted anything else to eat and this snake was making its way along the screen door towards the opening.

"The children saw it at the same time.

"I screamed, the kids screamed and Zena came from nowhere.

"She was amazing.

"She gave it one quick snap and then continued to struggle with it."

When husband Steven realised his wife was screaming in terror he rushed from inside the house in Bannockburn, 93km south-west of Melbourne, to save his dog from the snake.

"Zena wouldn't stop when I was yelling at her but she did when Steven told her to get away," Mrs Schultz said.

"It was barely moving after Zena had let go, so he was able to finish it off with the rake."

Some of the comments on those articles are simply beyond comprehension. Suggesting the dog should be put down as a menace and comparing what she did to killing a koala!!!????? Did people suddenly become stupid or have only just noticed it?

ETA: I just watched the vid - I'm a little disturbed by the fact that the dog is running around with the snake with the head of the snake still attached. My understanding is that snakes teeth remain venomous and dangerous AFTER they have died. I would never let a dog do that. Pepper actually grabbed a snakes head at a local park the other day and I immediately got her to drop it for that reason. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Edited by spottychick

Some of the comments on those articles are simply beyond comprehension. Suggesting the dog should be put down as a menace and comparing what she did to killing a koala!!!????? Did people suddenly become stupid or have only just noticed it?

ETA: I just watched the vid - I'm a little disturbed by the fact that the dog is running around with the snake with the head of the snake still attached. My understanding is that snakes teeth remain venomous and dangerous AFTER they have died. I would never let a dog do that. Pepper actually grabbed a snakes head at a local park the other day and I immediately got her to drop it for that reason. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I can't confirm with any authority but I was also horrified to read that the dog was running around with the dead snake as I thought the same thing.

I thought it was totally RIDICULOUS that she was being encouraged to play with the snake (in the news footage I saw). They were holding it up for her and razzing her up to catch it. Absolute IDIOTS! Yep, teach your dog to play with snakes. SMART!!

Great dog for killing snake and protecting the children but dumb owner for teasing her and allowing her to play with dead snake should of disposed of it, lets hope dog doesn't think it's a great game now to go hunting for snakes, obviously a bloke thing! teasing dog with dead snake, I used to have a neighbor who would tease her kelpie and say snake where's the snake and dog would dive under bushes, told her one day dog was gonna get bitten and unfortunately I was right.