Peta Planning To Open An Office In Australia

gundoglover

From the ABC rural news:

Animal rights group sets up shop in Australia

Friday, 29/01/2010

Animal rights group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, will set up an office in Australia this year.

The organisation is currently looking for campaign and media staff, to brief celebrities and manage Australian animal rights campaigns.

On its target list is live exports, caged eggs, fur, sow stalls, and more campaigns against mulesing.

PETA's Jason Baker says the organisation will pressure Australian industry and companies, but doesn't rule out targeting individual farmers.

"When we write to a company, they know if they don't listen to PETA they're probably in for bigger troubles," he says.

"That's why most companies do sit down with us and do talk to us."

"They see we have all our facts organised about the animals and welfare side of things."

A spokesman for the National Farmers Federation says it has no interest in fuelling PETA's campaign, and says PETA can do what ever it likes.

The NFF declined the offer of an interview.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the language in that interview says it all. "Do what we want or we will come round and and beat you up/wreck your business.....". Isn't that what common street thugs say and do? :grouphug:

I think these are enough...

Ingrid Newkirk Quotes

“There is no hidden agenda. If anybody wonders about -- what’s this with all these reforms -- you can hear us clearly. Our goal is total animal liberation. [emphasis added]”

— “Animal Rights 2002” convention, Jun 2002

“The bottom line is that people don't have the right to manipulate or to breed dogs and cats... If people want toys, they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship, they should seek it with their own kind.”

— Animals, May 1993

“Even if animal tests produced a cure for AIDS, we’d be against it.”

— PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk, in the September 1989 issue of Vogue, Sep 1989

“There’s no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They’re all animals.”

— Washingtonian magazine, Aug 1986

“We’re looking for good lawsuits that will establish the interests of animals as a legitimate area of concern in law.”

— Insight on the News, Jul 2000

“I am not a morose person, but I would rather not be here. I don’t have any reverence for life, only for the entities themselves. I would rather see a blank space where I am. This will sound like fruitcake stuff again but at least I wouldn’t be harming anything.”

— The Washington Post, Nov 1983

“We are complete press sluts.”

— Ingrid Newkirk, in The New Yorker, Apr 2003

“I wish we all would get up and go into the labs and take the animals out or burn them down.”

— "National Animal Rights Convention", Jun 1997

“I openly hope that it [hoof-and-mouth disease] comes here. It will bring economic harm only for those who profit from giving people heart attacks and giving animals a concentration camp-like existence. It would be good for animals, good for human health and good for the environment.”

— ABC News interview, Apr 2001

“Six million people died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughterhouses. [emphasis added]”

— The Washington Post, Nov 1983

“Probably everything we do is a publicity stunt ... we are not here to gather members, to please, to placate, to make friends. We're here to hold the radical line.”

— USA Today, Sep 1991

“In the end, I think it would be lovely if we stopped this whole notion of pets altogether.”

— Newsday, Feb 1988

“One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild ... they would have full lives, not wasting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit there and watch TV.”

— The Chicago Daily Herald, Mar 1990

“Would I rather the research lab that tests animals is reduced to a bunch of cinders? Yes.”

— New York Daily News, Dec 1997

“More power to SHAC if they can get someone’s attention.”

— People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals president & co-founder Ingrid Newkirk, in The Boston Herald, August 25, 2002

“I will be the last person to condemn ALF [the Animal Liberation Front].”

— The New York Daily News, Dec 1997

“I don’t use the word 'pet.' I think it’s speciesist language. I prefer 'companion animal.' For one thing, we would no longer allow breeding. People could not create different breeds. There would be no pet shops. If people had companion animals in their homes, those animals would have to be refugees from the animal shelters and the streets. You would have a protective relationship with them just as you would with an orphaned child. But as the surplus of cats and dogs (artificially engineered by centuries of forced breeding) declined, eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship – enjoyment at a distance.”

— The Harper's Forum Book, Jack Hitt, ed., 1989, p.223

“I plan to send my liver somewhere in France, to protest foie gras (liver pate) ... I plan to have handbags made from my skin ... and an umbrella stand made from my seat.”

— PETA President Ingrid Newkirk speaking to onMilwaukee.com, Feb 2005

“Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.”

— Harper's, Aug 1988

“Perhaps the mere idea of receiving a nasty missive will allow animal researchers to empathize with their victims for the first time in their lousy careers. I find it small wonder that the laboratories aren’t all burning to the ground. If I had more guts, I’d light a match.”

— The Chronicle of Higher Education, Nov 1999

“Humans have grown like a cancer. We're the biggest blight on the face of the earth.”

— Washingtonian magazine, Feb 1990

“Our nonviolent tactics are not as effective. We ask nicely for years and get nothing. Someone makes a threat, and it works.”

— Ingrid Newkirk, in the April 8, 2002 issue of US News & World Report , Apr 2002

“Eating meat is primitive, barbaric, and arrogant.”

— Washington City Paper, Dec 1985

well said Ravyk, I've heard so many weird things about these people that I am very negative about them arriving in australia. Hopefully they won't get funding/assistance and leave quickly.

Unfortuntly most people don't know enough about Peta to know what they are really like and therefore will just think "oh they are here to help animals lets support them"..

Once they set up here they will not leave in a hurry....

I'll actually be glad if they can hasten some changes to live exporting.

But I don't tend to hate PETA so much. I was vegan and supported them some 10 years ago. These days I wouldn't attatch myself to them in any way or form, but still reckon they do SOME good.

There's a general concensus in sociology that it takes radical as well as conservative activism to bring about changes, so I see this in a similar light.

(again, I stress, I don't mean to say I agree with PETA as a whole!!) I'm just hopeful that it will do some good.

One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild ... they would have full lives, not wasting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit there and watch TV.”

Well, I'm off to free Bonnie into the nearby National Park. I'm sure a timid 3.5kg Chihuahua will have a much better life fending for herself out "in the wild".

Ingrid Newkirk Quotes

“The bottom line is that people don't have the right to manipulate or to breed dogs and cats... If people want toys, they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship, they should seek it with their own kind.”

— Animals, May 1993

At the end of the same article:

"Contrary to myth, PETA does not want to confiscate animals who are well cared for and "set them free." What we want is for the population of dogs and cats to be reduced through spaying and neutering and for people to adopt animals (preferably two so that they can keep each other company when their human companions aren't home) from pounds or shelters—never from pet shops or breeders—thereby reducing suffering in the world. "

http://www.peta.org/campaigns/ar-petaonpets.asp

It's interesting what taking things out of context can create. Not that I agree with them here, but it gives you a bit more insight into their views.

Again - they may be radical, but they're coming from a good place, and do ocassionally get good results.

Edited by FD26

One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild ... they would have full lives, not wasting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit there and watch TV.”

Well, I'm off to free Bonnie into the nearby National Park. I'm sure a timid 3.5kg Chihuahua will have a much better life fending for herself out "in the wild".

:laugh:

I am pretty sure that Ingrid Newsplerk is on record as saying they will resort to destruction property etc to get their own way, shall have to look.

How about these, Cris?

Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are "acceptable crimes"

when used for the animals' cause.

-Alex Pacheco (PETA)

(_Charleston,_W._VA_Gazette-Mail_, Jan 15, 1989)

I believe that this decade will see the first acts of true violence. Some

may be accidental - like a bystander killed in a bomb blast; some will be

deliberate - like a vivesector shot in the street. The violence will

confuse and divide us, but it will be a temporary adjustment and then we

will learn to live with it.

-Victoria Miller, ARKI: Canadian Animal Rights Network, and former

President, Toronto Humane Society

(_Animals_Agenda_)

Nice folks Hey!

I am pretty sure that Ingrid Newsplerk is on record as saying they will resort to destruction property etc to get their own way, shall have to look.

How about these, Cris?

-Alex Pacheco (PETA)

(_Animals_Agenda_)

Edited by Crisovar

How about these, Cris?

-Alex Pacheco (PETA)

(_Animals_Agenda_)

WTF! How can they get away with statements like that

I can only think of one good place where I would like to put them sorry.

Ingrid Newkirk Quotes

— Animals, May 1993

At the end of the same article:

"Contrary to myth, PETA does not want to confiscate animals who are well cared for and "set them free." What we want is for the population of dogs and cats to be reduced through spaying and neutering and for people to adopt animals (preferably two so that they can keep each other company when their human companions aren't home) from pounds or shelters—never from pet shops or breeders—thereby reducing suffering in the world. "

http://www.peta.org/campaigns/ar-petaonpets.asp

It's interesting what taking things out of context can create. Not that I agree with them here, but it gives you a bit more insight into their views.

Again - they may be radical, but they're coming from a good place, and do ocassionally get good results.

FD26:

Whoever coined the phrase "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions" must have had PETA in mind when they did so. :laugh:

Fanatics are those who double their efforts having lost sight of their aim.. that's this mob.