Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

Lemonlime

Just a quick update.

Two PCV tests later and he is now down to 23. Fellow has AIHA which is a regenerative form, which is a lot rarer than the non regenerative form. This means his red blood cells are being destroyed at a rapid rate, and even though his body is producing lots of new cells, he is losing them just as quickly.

The vet said he is still responding to drugs and his PCV levels havent dropped dramatically yet. We are desperately trying to avoid a blood transfusion as they are worried his body will reject the new blood.

Edited by groupfive

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update.

Two PCV tests later and he is now down to 23. Fellow has AIHA which is a regenerative form, which is a lot rarer than the non regenerative form. This means his red blood cells are being destroyed at a rapid rate, and even though his body is producing lots of new cells, he is losing them just as quickly.

The vet said he is still responding to drugs and his PCV levels havent dropped dramatically yet. We are desperately trying to avoid a blood transfusion as they are worried his body will reject the new blood.

Not such good news - but it's good that he is still hanging in there. Take care of yourself at this worrying time.

Just a quick update.

This happened with our boy. I hope like crazy your boy pulls through, but one lesson I learned from my experience was that we should have more seriously considered the possibility that our boy would die, and how we would like him to go. The vets dropped hints I realise in retrospect (eg "he's a very sick boy") but we didn't realise that was code for "there is a more than even chance your dog will die"

He went at 4am, away from us in an emergency overnight clinic. Not what I ever would have wanted.

If I were faced with the same situation again with this disease, I would probably either ask for him to be PTS once his PCV hit 15 or take him home with us to pass. I struggled a bit about whether to post this as I don't want to be a downer at this difficult time. However, it's something I would discuss with your OH. Would your vet allow you to come in overnight if he became critical and needed to be PTS (or take him home with you overnight so that you can be with him?)

I have heard of dogs with PCVs of 5 surviving so there is definitely hope. It's times like this you wish for that magical book that would tell you exactly what to do :eek:

Hang in there.

Hi everyone,

I went to see him again today, he slept the whole time. His heart rate isnt very strong it seemed and it looked like he was skipping beats.

The vet had a talk today and said he doesnt have a good survival rate. Textbook is 50/50 but because blood is still present in his urine, he has a lower chance of survival.

I can see what they are trying to get at...I just dont know what to do and dont want to admit it to myself.

Yesterday they were so hopeful but its a bastard of a disease. They said that he will eventually need a blood transfusion, he was down to 22 when I saw him last. They dont have a crystal ball. They said he may beat the odds against him and make a full recovery, or he may not make it.

They said that they have the equipment and drugs to keep him alive but it all depends how deep our pockets are and if and how he responds to the Atopica drug which can take up to 2 weeks to kick in with no guarantees. The problem is the waiting...do I wait for the Atopica to start working and put him through hell in the mean time, or do I lay him to rest now.

I have just paid $500 for 3 boxes of Atopica and I feel I owe him the chance to try, but on the other hand, it is destroying me seeing him like this, he has such pain in his eyes.

I really wish someone would tell me what to do. I dont want to give up on my baby boy but I dont want to put him through unnecessary pain with no guarantee of the outcome.

If he was an elderly dog I would let him go, but he is only 4 and a VERY special dog to me. He comes everywhere with me, everyone loves him, he is absolutely amazing and I couldnt imagine life without him here.

Edited by groupfive

Thankyou for being so honest. I understand you have been through this too.

I just dont know what to do, 2 days ago be was my happy boofy boy, and now he is so incredibly ill. Im in two minds. I feel that I havent given him enough of a chance to fight this, but then I wonder if I am fighting a losing battle and putting him through hell so that I can keep him around for myself.

:D :D :)

Just a quick update.

This happened with our boy. I hope like crazy your boy pulls through, but one lesson I learned from my experience was that we should have more seriously considered the possibility that our boy would die, and how we would like him to go. The vets dropped hints I realise in retrospect (eg "he's a very sick boy") but we didn't realise that was code for "there is a more than even chance your dog will die"

He went at 4am, away from us in an emergency overnight clinic. Not what I ever would have wanted.

If I were faced with the same situation again with this disease, I would probably either ask for him to be PTS once his PCV hit 15 or take him home with us to pass. I struggled a bit about whether to post this as I don't want to be a downer at this difficult time. However, it's something I would discuss with your OH. Would your vet allow you to come in overnight if he became critical and needed to be PTS (or take him home with you overnight so that you can be with him?)

I have heard of dogs with PCVs of 5 surviving so there is definitely hope. It's times like this you wish for that magical book that would tell you exactly what to do :)

Hang in there.

Unfortunately the window from 2-4 years is the risk point for this disease. It's a terrible shame because it seems like their life has just begun.

What breed is he? Don't feel you have to answer here, but from what I understand, smaller breeds have a better chance of recovery.

However, even smaller breeds often don't make old bones because the steroid/chemo treatment is pretty hard on them. A number of people said to me after our boy passed that in some ways it was a mercy that he passed because if they survive the treatment can be rough on them and you can get other stuff like Cushings down the track. OTOH, if they go into remission you can get many more years together.

If it helps, our boy fought hard but when the vet rang us saying she felt it was necessary to PTS she indicated she felt he had given up. In your position I would try and work out if my dog was still fighting or if he had given up. If the latter, I would speed him to relief. If the former, I would keep fighting. I know it's hard, you're in a terrible position.

:D

He is a Border Collie, 4 years old, never been to the vet in his life for anything other than a dental check up. He doesnt get annual vaccinations. I have however noticed in the past that he tires very easily (swimming, chasing balls), compared to our other dogs. I have no idea if this is at all related to this disease, but its something ive always said about him.

The vet said his body is fighting as hard as it can, but the disease just keeps fighting back at him and destroying cells as fast as he makes them and he wont improve until the Atopica kicks in, that is IF his body responds to it. I could tell by the vets face tonight that she doesnt hold much hope for him.

Unfortunately the window from 2-4 years is the risk point for this disease. It's a terrible shame because it seems like their life has just begun.

What breed is he? Don't feel you have to answer here, but from what I understand, smaller breeds have a better chance of recovery.

However, even smaller breeds often don't make old bones because the steroid/chemo treatment is pretty hard on them. A number of people said to me after our boy passed that in some ways it was a mercy that he passed because if they survive the treatment can be rough on them and you can get other stuff like Cushings down the track. OTOH, if they go into remission you can get many more years together.

If it helps, our boy fought hard but when the vet rang us saying she felt it was necessary to PTS she indicated she felt he had given up. In your position I would try and work out if my dog was still fighting or if he had given up. If the latter, I would speed him to relief. If the former, I would keep fighting. I know it's hard, you're in a terrible position.

:D

Sorry to hear things are not improving as much as you would hope.

What will his quality of life be if he responds to the treatment?

I feel for you re this:

I just dont know what to do, 2 days ago be was my happy boofy boy, and now he is so incredibly ill. Im in two minds. I feel that I havent given him enough of a chance to fight this, but then I wonder if I am fighting a losing battle and putting him through hell so that I can keep him around for myself.

It is a bastard of a decision to make. In one sense my decision was easier as my boy had been ill for some time before he 'crashed'. I remember walking in to see him and just knowing. I could see in his eyes that he was tired and I knew I could not put him through more.

They have said that he may fight it and live healthy for another 10 years, but the most likely senario is that he will need to be on medication, either for months or years, they dont have answers.

I feel physically sick thinking that I may have to PTS, the house is so different without him already.

Sorry to hear things are not improving as much as you would hope.

What will his quality of life be if he responds to the treatment?

I feel for you re this:

It is a bastard of a decision to make. In one sense my decision was easier as my boy had been ill for some time before he 'crashed'. I remember walking in to see him and just knowing. I could see in his eyes that he was tired and I knew I could not put him through more.

Fellow was given his wings tonight. Its the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life.

After calling the vet at 12pm to get an update before I headed to bed, she told me that he was getting worse. His PCV was at 22 but he was extremely unwell and very depressed. She was worried that he may take a turn for the worse over night and was worried about blood clots in the lungs and brain.

After thinking very hard on it, we decided to put him to rest while he wasnt in any pain. We didnt want to risk him developing clots or further complications and dying in pain, he didnt deserve that.

The vet felt that putting Fellow to sleep was the best thing for his case as it was so severe they held no hope for him. Even if by some miracle he would have survived, his quality of life would not have been good and he would have been medicated for the rest of his life. The medication takes its toll on the body and they said he may relapse or develop further problems.

He is getting cremated tomorrow and will live on my bedside table in our bedroom where he slept every night.

Goodbye baby boy

Groupfive ... as said elsewhere - I am so sorry you had to let your Fellow go.

I had been following this thread after the possible IMHA diagnosis of Flynn yesterday morning and we met again elsewhere last night ... we are now travelling down the same path together after a probable diagnosis last night. You have made the absolute right decision. For us ... we hope that Flynn is able to fight all his issues (SRMA, IMHA and possible polyarthritis)... things will pan out over the next two weeks ... maybe we will even have to make a decision tomorrow if his PCV is decreasing.

RIP Fellow

Groupfive, everything....& I mean everything....that your wrote about your Fellow, right from the beginning, was word for word what happened for the tibbie boy, Brockie, next door. Right down to it coming out of the blue.

So I was very anxious for your boy & didn't know what to write so I wouldn't rob you of any hope.

The night Brock's owners had to make the decision was in the same circumstances as yours.....& your description of Fellow would fit Brock. It was heartbreaking, but Brockie so much needed peace & rest in the face of this awful disease that kept pushing him backwards. So, tho' it broke your heart, too.....you gave Fellow the same peace & rest.

Please accept my deepest sympathy.....& our neighbours asked me to tell you how much they understand because they walked every step of the same way.

Edited by mita

Oh Daisy, I am so very sorry. You know that I know how you are feeling - but I just wanted to say thank you so very much for having the strength to let Fellow go, even though your heart must be breaking.

What I didn't say to you before was that although I didn't have to make the decision to start treatment with my Sam, I probably would have done the same as you, and started treatment, because I didn't want to lose him - but I still don't know whether that would have been the right thing to do.

It is such a horrible illness, and the treatment, even if successful, seems that it can take almost as much out of the dog as the illness.

Treasure the lovely memories of your beautiful dog - and I'm sure we will all be giving our dogs an extra cuddle - and remembering to treasure them while we have them with us.

Take care of yourself.