Airedale Terrier

Troy

The Airedale Terrier

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=45 )

Group: Group 2 (Terriers)

General Appearance: Largest of the terriers, a muscular, active, fairly cobby dog, without suspicion of legginess or undue length of body.

Characteristics: Keen of expression, quick of movement, on the tip-toe of expectation at any movement. Character denoted and shown by expression of eyes, and by carriage of ears and erect tail.

Temperament: Outgoing and confident, friendly, courageous and intelligent. Alert at all times, not aggressive but fearless.

Head And Skull: Skull long and flat, not too broad between ears, and narrowing slightly to eyes. Well balanced, with no apparent difference in length between skull and foreface. Free from wrinkles, with stop hardly visible; cheeks level and free from fullness. Foreface well filled up before eyes, not dish-faced or falling away quickly below eyes, but a delicate chiselling prevents appearance of wedginess or plainness. Upper and lower jaws deep, powerful, strong and muscular, as strength of foreface is greatly desired. No excess development of the jaws to give a rounded or bulging appearance to the cheeks, as 'cheekiness' is undesirable. Lips tight, nose black.

Eyes: Dark in colour, relatively small, not prominent, full of terrier expression, keenness and intelligence. Light or bold eye highly undesirable.

Ears: 'V' shaped with a side carriage, small but not out of proportion to size of dog. Top line of folded ear slightly above level of skull. Pendulous ears or ears set too high undesirable.

Mouth: Teeth strong. Jaws strong. Scissor bite, i.e. Upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws preferable, but vice-like bite acceptable. An overshot or undershot mouth undesirable.

Neck: Clean, muscular, of moderate length and thickness, gradually widening towards shoulders, and free from throatiness.

Forequarters: Shoulders long, well laid back, sloping obliquely, shoulder blades flat. Forelegs perfectly straight, with good bone. Elbows perpendicular to body, working free of sides.

Body: Back short, strong, straight and level, showing no slackness. Loins muscular. Ribs well sprung. In short-coupled and well ribbed-up dogs there is little space between ribs and hips. When dog is long in couplings some slackness will be shown here. Chest deep (i.e. approximately level with elbows), but not broad.

Hindquarters: Thighs long and powerful with muscular second thigh, stifles well bent, turned neither in nor out. Hocks well let down, parallel with each other when viewed from behind.

Feet: Small, round and compact, with a good depth of pad, well cushioned, and toes moderately arched, turning neither in nor out.

Tail: Docked: Set on high and carried gaily, not curled over back. Good strength and substance. Tip approximately at the same height as top of skull.

Undocked. Set on high and carried gaily. Not curled over back. Good strength and length.

Gait/Movement: Legs carried straight forward. Forelegs move freely, parallel to the sides. When approaching, forelegs should form a continuation of the straight line of the front, feet being same distance apart as elbows. Propulsive power is furnished by hind legs.

Coat: Hard, dense and wiry, not so long as to appear ragged. Lying straight and close, covering body and legs; outer coat hard, wiry and stiff, undercoat shorter and softer. Hardest coats are crinkling or just slightly waved; curly or soft coat highly undesirable.

Colour: Body-saddle black or grizzle as is top of the neck and top surface of tail. All other parts tan. Ears often a darker tan, and shading may occur round neck and side of skull. A few white hairs between forelegs acceptable.

Sizes: Height: Dogs: approx. 58-61 cms (23-24 ins) from top of shoulder

Bitches approx. 56-59 cms (22-23 ins) from top of shoulder

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

First time owner. Years ago I had worked at a kennel that bred Airedales and I fell in love with them.

The breed was developed in England to hunt

Not overly common though there seem to be a few around.

About 14 years

They are very excitable and energetic. Very intelligent, able to pick things up very quickly. Hamish loves meeting new people and animals.

Cheeky! Likes pushing boundaries. One day I had very cleverly managed to lock myself out of the house. I was late for work and very flustered so as I was leaving Hamish pushed past me and ran out into the carport. He had loads of fun as I chased him around my car trying to catch him. He didn’t escape with the intention of running away, he just thought it would be fun to give me a hard time or maybe he was trying to cheer me up :heart: . The vet has made a few comments about “there not being much going on upstairs”, but he is actually very intelligent, they just like to play by their own rules.

With adults I think they would take as much exercise as you can give. A good walk once or twice a day would be good. We only walk Hamish once a day, but he spends a lot of time chasing his Shar Pei sister around the yard and vice versa. Until they are 16 months you need watch how much excercise you give so too much pressure isn't put on their growing bones.

Not really. He was the first dog I raised and I must admit it was very trying at times and we had to get the asistance of a behavourist. He has turned out pretty good though. They are a dominant breed and you can't let them be boss.

No. He was originally an only dog and suffered separation anxiety, chewing everything in sight. Since we have gotten Yuna that has disappeared and he is more content at home alone with her.

If they are a pet then they need to be clipped two or three times a year. Their coat needs to be stripped if you are going to show. Their furnishings need to be brushed regularly to avoid knots. It is pretty annoying in spring and summer when flower buds are falling from the trees. They and burrs end up in leg hair. They are a leaf magnet!

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

I think so. They are very excitable and can very easily knock a small child over.

Hip dysplasia. I have also heard that they can develop thyroid problems.

Also, as they have a deep chest you need to be careful to avoid bloat.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If the parents have had hip scores. Meeting the parents would also be good in order to make sure they have pleasant temperments.

Guest belgian.blue

Ivy met an Airedale at the beach today and he was stunning! They were playing wonderfully together and he was so intent on listening to his owners when he followed Ivy and I a little too far down the beach.

A breed I adore but don't think I could deal with a Terrier.

Are there any registered and ethical breeders of them in SA? Can't see any on the DOL breed pages.Just someone I know online is doing some research on them, and wanting to know?

I have directed her to this thread, but so far there hasn't been too many owners/breeder responding :D

Thanks Cat for your feedback ;)

• 10 months later...

I am a first time owner.

In England to hunt as Cat said.

Not common.

12 years

They are a very energetic breed and can be/are very dominant if you don't take care of them properly. They also love water, but my Abbey doesn't so she's pretty much more of a broken Airedale :eek:

About a walk a day and lots of space in the yard! If they don't get enough exercise they can become very destructive.

No. They are/can be very hard to train and are dominant, like Cat said.

No, though it depends on the dog. My dog can, others of the breed can't.

Cat pretty much summed it up.

Yes they are very boisterous if not trained properly.

Hip dysplasia.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be) What Cat said

• 10 months later...

First time owner. Years ago I had worked at a kennel that bred Airedales and I fell in love with them.

The breed was developed in England to hunt

Not overly common though there seem to be a few around.

About 14 years

They are very excitable and energetic. Very intelligent, able to pick things up very quickly. Hamish loves meeting new people and animals.

Cheeky! Likes pushing boundaries. One day I had very cleverly managed to lock myself out of the house. I was late for work and very flustered so as I was leaving Hamish pushed past me and ran out into the carport. He had loads of fun as I chased him around my car trying to catch him. He didn’t escape with the intention of running away, he just thought it would be fun to give me a hard time or maybe he was trying to cheer me up :heart: . The vet has made a few comments about “there not being much going on upstairs”, but he is actually very intelligent, they just like to play by their own rules.

With adults I think they would take as much exercise as you can give. A good walk once or twice a day would be good. We only walk Hamish once a day, but he spends a lot of time chasing his Shar Pei sister around the yard and vice versa. Until they are 16 months you need watch how much excercise you give so too much pressure isn't put on their growing bones.

Not really. He was the first dog I raised and I must admit it was very trying at times and we had to get the asistance of a behavourist. He has turned out pretty good though. They are a dominant breed and you can't let them be boss.

No. He was originally an only dog and suffered separation anxiety, chewing everything in sight. Since we have gotten Yuna that has disappeared and he is more content at home alone with her.

If they are a pet then they need to be clipped two or three times a year. Their coat needs to be stripped if you are going to show. Their furnishings need to be brushed regularly to avoid knots. It is pretty annoying in spring and summer when flower buds are falling from the trees. They and burrs end up in leg hair. They are a leaf magnet!

I think so. They are very excitable and can very easily knock a small child over.

Hip dysplasia. I have also heard that they can develop thyroid problems.

Also, as they have a deep chest you need to be careful to avoid bloat.

If the parents have had hip scores. Meeting the parents would also be good in order to make sure they have pleasant temperments.

• 5 months later...

Ex breeder, I stopped breeding about 6 years ago after 35 years. Have owned the breed since 1973 and I was raised with the breed waaaaaay back in the 1950's

The breed was deveopled in the Aire Valley of Yorkshire England. It was deveopled by the working men of the area who wanted an all purpose dog that could hunt, retrieve, protect and then go home and be a pet to the family. The gentry had different breeds of dogs for each of these purposes but the working men could not afford that luxury and so developed their own breed. The Airedale Terrier was originally known as the Bingley Terrier and the Waterside Terrier but was offically recognised by the Kennel Club as the Airedale Terrier in 1886.

The breed in Australia is declining. In Victoria there are now only about 6 recognised and experienced breeders. Unfortunately it is not uncommon to attend an all breeds show and not see an Airedale Terrier entered. Probably the peak time for this breed was during the mid 1970's to late 1980's

12-14

Overall the Airedale Terrier is a more sedate nature than the smaller terriers. They can be quite stubbon and in most cases are thinking dogs. they very rarely do something just because they are asked/told to but with training they are highly capable of great things and love to work as a team.

Above all though you should never forget that they are Terriers and have many of the terrier traits. They can be very prey driven. Often not recognised as being quite intelligent simply because they will not do something if they do not see the point.

As much exercise as you are prepared to give is great, however at a minimum a good 30 minute walk or free run each day will suffice. Beware though a bored Airedale is not something you want in your yard. Airedale Terriers may also be escape artists, usually they will not climb over fences but they will in many cases dig under them.

Yes as long as you are prepared to put the time and effort into basic training and establish the ground rules.

My dogs spend most of the day lying around and sleeping. I do have 3 and so they play together and amuse themselves. However a bored Airedale will dig, dig, chew, chew and destroy anything that is in it's path. They also like to patrol the boundries and let us know if something is not as it should be in their opinion. It is a good idea if you have to leave your dog alone for long periods of time to enclose them in an area where not a lot of harm can be done and provide them with toys or a decent bone with which to amuse themselves.

Grooming for show involves a huge committment. For pet grooming general brushing/combing and care of nails is essential on a regular basis - weekly or two weekly would be ideal. I would suggest your Airedale Terrier is clipped 3 to 4 times a year. Between clips the feet should have the hair between the pads cleaned out as fur or mud balls may form and cause sore feet. These are things that an owner needs to train their dog to allow from an early age.

The Airedale Terrier does not shed, they have a double coat and need to be stripped out for the coat to be in the best condition. They are a breed that is good for people with allergies.

Note that some breeders are no longer removing dew claws. If your Airedale has dew clews you need to be aware of this when grooming them so that you can treat the dew claw as a normal toe nail and trim it accordingly. You also need to be careful when combing the legs that you do not tear this.

In some cases yes, however, if the dog and the child have been brought up together then a balance can be found. As a general rule with the correct education of dog and people they are not too boisterious but owners need to be aware of the possibility of this happening .

The main issue I have seen in the breed is Hip Displaysia and all recognised breeders will only breed from stock which has been offically scored. I do not believe HD is a major genetic issue in the breed but owners need to be aware of environmental factors which may impact on this. Such as over exercising the pup as a youngster, slippery floors, jumping in and out of cars etc.

There is ocasionally cases of entropia in the breed and SOME dogs may have skin issues, however, with a good, preferably natural, diet this is not an issue. I also find keeping the coat shorter allievates this issue. Hence my recommendation to clip 4 times a year. We also ocasionally see thyroid disorders in the breed.

Buyers need to be aware that health tests while important are not the be all to end all. However, having said that a prospective buyer could ask about the scores received for HD and what the breed average is (about 13 currently I believe). Keep in mind that this score is out of 106 and even HD well above the breed average does not necessarily mean the dog will have an issue with the problem. Ask to see the score sheets and for an explaination of the score. Ideally the score will be fairly even on both hips e.g 4:4 rather than 2:6. Again, buyers should not get too bogged down with a slightly higher than average score.

Check whether the dog is registered with the Canine Council (VCA etc.) and whether it is on Limited or Main register. Ask for an explanation of the two registers. Buyers need to realise that when we talk about registered dogs we do not mean registered with the local council but with the canine association.

Make it very clear to the breeder what you want to do with your dog, is it going to be a pet, are you interested in showing or obedience etc. No breeder will sell you a puppy as a show dog. They may tell you that they believe the pup has show potential. Ask the breeder if they are able and willing to teach you how to groom for show and or pet. Check with the breeder if the dew claws have been removed. Since the docking ban some breeders will no longer remove dew claws - this is arguably a more traumatic process than docking but is still allowable. Pressure of uneducated do gooders!

In Victoria ALL puppies must be microchipped before leaving the breeder (or registered with the VCA) so make sure you receive the details and Change of Ownership papers along with the other papers. You should contact the Microchip Registrary that your dog is listed with and submit the Change of Address form given by the breeder. Some breeders will send these off on your behalf. Consider leaving the Breeder as the second contact of your dog so if it is lost and you cannot be contacted the breeder will be.

Edited by Airedaler

• 4 weeks later...

Warning!!! Pups are being sold in Victoria claimed to be Airedales that are not registered with Dogs Victoria and The Australian National Kennel Council. In some cases the parentage is uncertain. In some cases hip scoring Xrays, as expected of ATCV Members, have not been carried out. In some cases these puppies may have one or both parents that were purchased from legitimate breeders. These club member breeders should be talked to personally before you accept claims allegedly made by them. If it is to cheap to be true ????? Our breed has avoided puppy farmers in this country for over 100 years. Let us keep it that way. See a list of breeders on the web page. www.airedaleclub.com

Edited by Airedaler

• 1 year later...

Good stuff! I hope to do agility eventually.

I'd like to retract my statement about them be being too boisterous with small children. Since then my boy has had more exposure to kids. While he is very bouncy and excited with adults he does not do this with children. I assume because they are on the same level. He has even received praised with how gentle he is biggrin.gif It could very well depend on the dog though.

Edited by Cat

Your comment is interesting Cat. Some years ago now I had my 7 month old granddaughter visit with her step siblings. At the time one was 3, one 6 and the other 10 but he had a physical disability. My dogs approached each child in turn and it was so interesting to see how they tempered their behaviour and boisterousness. The 6 year old drew the most intense interaction - and also gave it - and the others less so with the baby receiving only ever so gentle nose pokes. The really interesting thing was that although the 10 year old was the biggest the dogs quickly realised that there was a reason to be calmer near him.

This experience was perhaps the most extreme I have seen because they were all there at the same time however, it is the same experience I had when raising my children. The dogs adjusted to the situation so very readily as we expect an Airedale to do.

• 4 months later...