Police Run Over Dog

PuggaWuggles

German police fatally run over dog, bill owner for the trouble.

A GERMAN woman has hired a lawyer after being shocked to discover that not only did police deliberately run over her beloved dog, they have now sent her a hefty bill.

Robby, a nine-year-old Australian Shepherd, ran away on December 31 after being terrified by fireworks, and made it onto a nearby motorway, her owner Heidi Schwank, 65, told the Bild daily newspaper.

"A day after New Year's, the police phoned me and said that my Robby had been run over on the motorway ... The police claimed that a motorist had hit and killed Robby," Ms Schwank said, photographed clutching his picture.

But it turned out that it was the police who had killed Robby after four officers in two police cars spent over an hour getting cars on the A1 autobahn near Hamburg to slow down while they tried, unsuccessfully, to capture him.

Neutralising Robby caused damage of over €2500 ($3907) to a patrol car, costs which Ms Schwank now has to pay.

A police spokeswoman said that the officers "were confronted by something posing a danger, this 'wonderful dog' tearing about to and fro on both lane of a highway."

"At a time like this, a police officer has to weigh up the lives of people against that of a dog," spokeswoman Jessica Wessel said.

"You can imagine that in the dark, on New Year's Eve with explosions and everything all around, a dog being chased by strangers is not going to calm down, and you're not going to catch him."

Ms Schwank, however, is incensed.

"They close off motorways even for ducks. Why not for my Robby? Then they could have caught him safely, and my beloved would still be alive," the retiree said.

- http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

German police fatally run over dog, bill owner for the trouble.

A GERMAN woman has hired a lawyer after being shocked to discover that not only did police deliberately run over her beloved dog, they have now sent her a hefty bill.

Robby, a nine-year-old Australian Shepherd, ran away on December 31 after being terrified by fireworks, and made it onto a nearby motorway, her owner Heidi Schwank, 65, told the Bild daily newspaper.

"A day after New Year's, the police phoned me and said that my Robby had been run over on the motorway ... The police claimed that a motorist had hit and killed Robby," Ms Schwank said, photographed clutching his picture.

But it turned out that it was the police who had killed Robby after four officers in two police cars spent over an hour getting cars on the A1 autobahn near Hamburg to slow down while they tried, unsuccessfully, to capture him.

Neutralising Robby caused damage of over €2500 ($3907) to a patrol car, costs which Ms Schwank now has to pay.

A police spokeswoman said that the officers "were confronted by something posing a danger, this 'wonderful dog' tearing about to and fro on both lane of a highway."

"At a time like this, a police officer has to weigh up the lives of people against that of a dog," spokeswoman Jessica Wessel said.

"You can imagine that in the dark, on New Year's Eve with explosions and everything all around, a dog being chased by strangers is not going to calm down, and you're not going to catch him."

Ms Schwank, however, is incensed.

"They close off motorways even for ducks. Why not for my Robby? Then they could have caught him safely, and my beloved would still be alive," the retiree said.

- http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

Well all I can say is, if the "beloved" dog meant that much to her, why didn't she have the dog secured knowing that there would be fireworks and would, of course, get scared and run away?

Took the words right out of my mouth. I totally understand that dogs can be frightened by fireworks and will pretty much do anything to escape, it's not entirely the police's fault and they did spend over an hour trying to catch him unsuccessfully. :D RIP Robby

I understand what you are all saying, however, sometimes, despite all best intents, dogs do get out.

My old dog, was the best escape artist known.....

Just when we thought we had it secured, he would find another way.

So, I don't think because her dog escaped it necessarily means she didn't care for it, or hadn't made attempts to secure him.

they have now sent her a hefty bill.

so they should. Same thing would happen here if a driver hit a loose dog and the car was damaged. Goodluck to her being incensed. I'm incensed that her frantic dog was at large on an autobahn. It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

they have now sent her a hefty bill.

so they should. Same thing would happen here if a driver hit a loose dog and the car was damaged. Goodluck to her being incensed. I'm incensed that her frantic dog was at large on an autobahn. It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

And also I do agree that the police weren't at fault ... just wanted to clarify that too :D

How on earth can an Aussie Shepherd (which isn't a huge dog :cry:) cause over $3000 worth of damage to a patrol car :D , what was the car made of ??? plasticine.....fair suck of the sav.

As the lady had called the Police to report she'd lost her dog, why didn't they go and get her so that she help could calm it down and catch it, or how about a tranquiliser gun. I'm sorry but I don't agree with what they did. Yes I know you'll all disagree, but sometimes these things happen to the best of us. Horses will jump out of stables where they normally housed, dogs will bust through windows if they think it's their only way of escape so we shouldn't be so quick to judge and preach.

As for fireworks, they need to be banned full stop. Apart from dogs, how many horses or cattle get frightened by them and bust through fences trying to get away. Now if they'd run over a horse I could understand that kind of damage bill......the world is slowly but certainly losing it's grip on common sense here.

Just wondering who they would've billed if the lady hadn't reported it to the police :D

I hate to imagine it, but if one of my aussies was hit, all i could imagine is the front bumper and the lights being damaged. Aussies stand not much taller then a border collie and the only way i could see that much damage was if they were going at a ridiculous speed. I've seen a blue heeler hit at 80kms and even that wasn't much damage. :cry: The dog died and the car didnt look like it had hardly any damage

It must have been one fancy cop car, unless they are including the service, respray etc etc.

Edited by Bonnie Parker

It is in Europe which is known for flashy cars and very expensive car parts to go on those very expensive flashy cars.

So in truth the bill does actually add up to me after looking at some of the warranty papers I have helped my father do for the car dealership he works at which sells some of the same flashy European cars that the German police might use

Cars these days are designed to damage easily to absorb impact, some more than others. Dare I say this one sounds like it was a little over engineered.

Its an outrage asking the women to pay for the damage. The damage to the car is the police departments problem, it was damaged in the course of duty and as a result of a decision made by the driver.

She is billed for the man hours it takes them to do everything they are public servants.

You dont run over someone's dog then charge them for damage to the car. She made a mistake, it was not intentional, it happens. Doesnt matter anyway. She will refuse to pay, it will go to court and police will have to pay it themselves.