Bath Time!

caffiend42

Hey folks, I was under the distinct impression that even if dogs liked going swimming, they usually didn't like baths. Yep, sure, it's a temperament thing, but boy was I surprised when we gave Indy a bath yesterday and he took it like the little dude he is! The only thing he insisted on was having his front paws on the edge of the tub so he could look out. He also didn't mind when we gave his big floppy ears a good going over (being careful not to get water inside).

How do your dogs react to bath time, and what tips have you got to make it easier? Sounds like so far we've got it good with Indy (touch wood). And doesn't he smell nice, with his coat all soft and shiny!

Just wanted to know even if he's not too perturbed by it all that we can make it as pleasant experience as possible. Ta heaps!

Mine have always seemed to just accept baths with the exception of the current weim. He carries on like he is being tortured, and will maintain the howling/whining for up to 2 hour after. Nearly 2 years old and has barely improved. The first time i bathed him, people from all over the village kept popping in, they thought one of my dogs must be hanging itself on the fence or something, such was the noise.

be grateful you have a water baby.

Like dogdayz, all my dogs have accepted a bath, never really enjoying it. However, my youngest Vizsla is a funny boy with water. He loooooves a bath in the tub. He tries to get in the tub when I have a bath, and often plays in it after I get out. He also loves to lay in water too. He will often lay in any tub of water big enough, mud puddle or river if he's warm. However, he doesn't like a hydrobath and he HATES rain!! Out of all my dogs he is by far the worst about rain!! It seems he likes to get into water, but does not like water falling on him... go figure.

If you have a dog that likes water and/or toys, try giving them something to play with in the bath. Rogan loves to play with things in the water and although it can make a bit more mess, I really enjoy seeing him enjoy himself :champagne:

Here's a pic of Rogan as a young boy after his bath.. he just didn't want to get out :thumbsup:

Dsc01205.jpg

Dieter tolerates it :)

He knows if he's been swimming in the river he has to come home and have a quick bath (to get sand and smell out) - I think he is also too exhausted to complain so he stands there for a quick hose down on the lawn.

He also just stands there when having a hydrobath - but he can get bored if in there for too long.

first bath: :)

When I'm washing or brushing my dog I constantly talk to him, not speedy but calmly saying how handsome he is and when he started having hydrobaths with a dryer he was getting a little food treat every few minutes so he would enjoy it.

I definately think he enjoyed it more when we had people come to our house to wash him because it was something different -- now it's just me chucking him into a tub at work :)

We got Kaisie at 4 years - at first she hated it, even snapping when we got anywhere near the rear end.

Now she seems quite happy, but not exactly thrilled, when bath time comes.

She loves the attention & massage with lots of talking and treats - and really loves the towel time, particularly loves being rubbed around the ears. And we go for a run straight after. I do it fairly regularly so she stays used to the routine. Sometimes it is just a hose & dry.

We've gone from a two person tie down job to a one person, no restraint needed job - at worst she will run into the laundry looking for treats, not away :)

Not bad for a rank amateur :)

cheers

My shepherd Caleb hates bathes with an absolute passion, but if there is a lake or a beach nearby, he is the first dog in.

I discovered, purely by accident, that he is much better in the hydrobath, if I put our other dog in with him. He will actually cease trying to jump out and making sounds like I am torturing him. From now on, I will be bathing both dogs at the same time.

Well the last time I washed my two they were about 6 months old, and Loki screamed the whole time. I think out neighbours must have thought we were chopping him up into little bits or something. :) Taya was pretty good, and tolerated it, and of course I ended up as wet as the dogs. :)

However I am lucky and my two are very clean and don't smell. :D

They do need a bath at the moment to help loosen some of their winter coat. No matter how often a I brush them at the moment I can't seem to get it all out, so I think a warm bath will be the go. And I guess we will see how well they tolerate it now. I think I might have to get the boyf to bribe them with bits of schmakco while the bathing is in progress. :p

Jessa goes nuts when the hydrobath lady comes. Not sure whether she loves the bath lady or the bath but races up and down the hall with excitement waiting to be taken out.

Will run away from a hose down after the beach though.

All the dogs I have ever bathed have been good except for George the Shih Tzu who wriggled and scratched and had to get out. Professional groomer only for George! The others all pretty much just stand there and grin and bear it. I don't think they love it, and would prefer to stay stinky, but they tolerate the hoomans desire for them to be clean.

I have posted this photo before, but just a guide to what our bath time looks like (I usually do them all at once!):

Ruski (former foster), Barney, Mosh (RIP), and Rosie

post-22-1104448005.jpg

Bella HATES having a bath, she'll wriggle and scream at me. But... LOVES having a shower with me!

We both get into the shower, and i'll sit on the floor and give her a good scrub, then rinse her off while i give myself a good scrub :)

I think it might have something to do with her feet being under the water in a bath.... not sure. Or maybe she feels claustrophobic.

Either way, whenever i have a shower, and she doesn't need one. She'll sit outside at whimper at me through the shower door :)

Just finished bathing my two, Nova doesnt like it but like most he will stand quietly and tolerate it. I do have to watch him because as soon as he sees a chance to get out he will. I havent actually gave Nova a bath at home for about a year he usually goes to the local groomer before shows (turns out nicer) but i thought if Darcy saw Nova have a bath he will see it as nothing to be scared of big mistake!

It was Darcys first bath here and MY GOD he screamed and cried like there was no tomorrow, it was embarassing i had to do it with one person so i was trying to hold him, hold the food/treat and try and bath him at the same time. However like Nova he loves being towel dried and was loving it, so now i have two nice smelling dogs lying asleep at my feet :laugh:

Thanks Natasha

My Australian Shepherd Scandal LOVES water, even as a puppy he loved being bathed, I even found him one day at my mothers, he was missing inside the house & we found him in the bath full of bubbles just waiting for someone to come & wash him :laugh: My bitch Fern isn't as keen but will play with the hose & will actually put her whole muzle noe & all in her water bucket & blow bubbles.

Andrea, Scandal, Fern ;)

post-22-1104487349.jpg