Purebred Is Best But What About Other Pets?

Wilderblu

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 1 pedigree dog , 1 X breed dog , a moggie , a pedigree siamese and

a designer cat - Burmese x Ragdoll who is fantastic I saw them advertised after I had to PTS my other much loved moggie and I thought that a Burmese X Ragdoll would get the best from both breeds and he certainly has. He came from a loving home and is very healthy and happy.

I know on Cat World they are very concerned about designer cats and apparently a lot are sold through pet shops ( I didn't get mine from a pet shop) - Ragdoll x appear to be the favourite at the moment.

While cats don't have the big range of physical size that dogs do there are very strong personality traits between breeds.

Moggies have heaps of problems, feline aids being on eof them.

That's a communicable disease.

The truth is that your humble moggie is, overall, undeniably healthy and free of genetic disorders. In creating the Spotted Mist they used 30% moggie genes just to get that robustness into the breed.

Just a comment on horses again. Horses are often cross bred to gain a particular type of horse for a particular activity. Probably the best know of these is the Anglo Arab, a type not a breed. I appreciate that many like to know temperament but horse temperament is significantly effected by handling and training, often more so than breeding and this may be because they are technically lower on the food chain, therefore more reactive to their environment.

Temperament aside, as I said, riders are often looking for their horses to undertake a certain purpose and will breed to purpose, rather than stick to breed registration. There is also the compounding issue of $'s with horses too. I considered getting back into competitive dressage the year before last, but for me to find a suitable young warmblood with a good basic education, sound confirmation and potential to reach the level I wanted it would have set me back around $20-$30K. However if I had looked for a 1st cross warmblood with similar criteria, I may have been able to find something closer to $10k.

Horses for courses - sorry couldn't resist the pun.

ok lets see....sheep- purebred

alpaca- purebred

horses- purebred

dogs- purebred ---except 2 rescue's same breed

chickens purebreed

cats 1 purebred -1 rescue

The animals have there own filing cabinet for all the paper work :thumbsup:

Currently have at present:

* 2 pedigree dogs

* 1 xbred dog (our very first dog)

* 2 moggies (from the pound)

In the past our cats generally have been moggies from rescue. I did have one purebred (she stayed @ my parents when I moved out) and she ended up with cataracts at 4 and lost one eye and it was too much for her when she lost the other eye :thumbsup:

I've had 4 horses in the past:

* 2 Registered TB's

* 1 Registered Arabian

* 1 large pony I felt sorry for at a sale

LOL, and when I was a teenager I had purebred show chickens :thumbsup:

I have pedigree dogs and pedigree cats, and I'll admit to being extremely breedist. The only pets that ever come into our house will be pedigree animals from registered breeders.

I have had moggies, and they were awful. One was a pet shop kitten that got progressively more feral and nasty as she got older. The other one was a "rescue" from my sons friend who got a dog and didn't want the cat. She wasn't very friendly either.

Our pedigree cats are lovely animals, very friendly and they grew up to be what I expected. Except maybe Kate, our Maine Coon who is far larger than I thought she'd get (but I did expect she'd be enormous as far as cats go).

Rescue? No, never. I know I'm a good and responsible pet owner who is willing to adapt to the animals that come into our lives, but I absolutely will not have someone else making that judgement on me.

[quote name='~Anne~' date='3rd Feb 2010 - 07:49 PM' post='4306030'

It is also interesting that the cat world doesn't think of the moggy in the same way that the dog world thinks of cross bred dogs.

You haven't spent much time on Cat World :thumbsup: Mongrel cat breeding isn't received very well on there! Newbie breeders get put through the ringer too. Actually reckon the cat people are more scary than dog people!

Sam&saki you get big differences in horse height and shapes too.

Currently have:

1 x purebred poodle

1 x moggie (stray)

Have had:

1 x purebred GSD

1 x purebred chinchilla - PTS at 13 months due to Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)

2 x moggies

1 x crossbed border collie

1 x purebred warmblood

1 x purebred thoroughbred

Over all the crossbred have been very hardy both dogs and cats, but then apart from the chinny the other purebreds have had no major illnesses either **touch wood**.

Having said that we won't be having any other xbreds in this house - expecting the next cat will be a Maine Coon too GayleK :D

What about other pets though. Should we also be buying pedigree cats, show stock chickens, health tested birds?

My chickens are purebred, my fish are purebred, and some even come with certificates of authenticity as to where they come from.

And I had a "pedigree" macaw - she wasnt mine, I looked after her for about a year.

My dogs are rescues so no pedigree there, but when it comes to my chickens it's pedigree all the way (although they are not show quality - I suppose that warning when I bought them is like buying a pedegree dog on limited register??)

I breed my chickens and sell them to people who want nice friendly chooks who will lay them some eggs.

And YES I am horrified at people who cross breed my breed of chickens as they are perfect the way they are and I do not understand why anyone would want to deviate from perfection!

Just a comment on horses again. Horses are often cross bred to gain a particular type of horse for a particular activity. Probably the best know of these is the Anglo Arab, a type not a breed. I appreciate that many like to know temperament but horse temperament is significantly effected by handling and training, often more so than breeding and this may be because they are technically lower on the food chain, therefore more reactive to their environment.

Temperament aside, as I said, riders are often looking for their horses to undertake a certain purpose and will breed to purpose, rather than stick to breed registration. There is also the compounding issue of $'s with horses too. I considered getting back into competitive dressage the year before last, but for me to find a suitable young warmblood with a good basic education, sound confirmation and potential to reach the level I wanted it would have set me back around $20-$30K. However if I had looked for a 1st cross warmblood with similar criteria, I may have been able to find something closer to $10k.

Horses for courses - sorry couldn't resist the pun.

That's what I've done with my filly, she is 3/4 TB and 1/4 warmblood she is eligible for warmblood registration on a limited registration but unlike with dogs her progeny is eligible for the stud book if she is bred to an appropriate stallion. Primarily she is bred for eventing but should be able to do reasonably well in a number of disciplines. Crossbreeding in performance horses certainly isn't viewed in the same light as it is in the breed classes, recently the Arabs had to redefine what they would allow into the partbred registry because they were getting complaints about animals which were only 2% arab going into arab shows, my friend told me they've changed it to 12.5% apparently.

Like dogs though if you cross animals with totally different morphologies and temperaments you can run into trouble, the most recent fad has been crossing Clyides with TBs which can be a recipe for trouble given the fundamental differences between the two breeds.

ETA here's my animal list:

Dogs

1 pure papered chi (died of twisted bowels)

1 bitsa (died of old age)

1 pure chi *

1 pure husky *

*not papered though so who knows

Horses

1 QH x TB (not sure of history though I strongly suspect he may have been SB) (sold)

1 andalusian x (sold)

2 pure TB

1 TB x WB

Edited by WoofnHoof

For those who have said they have pedigree/purebred horses I am actually interested in what you consider purebred. There aren't that many closed studbooks for horses. Warmblood studbooks are not closed - therefore they are not "purebred". Welsh allow interbreeding between their registries (A, B, C and D). Quarter Horses are not a closed studbook (3/4 thoroughbreds can be shown as "purebred" QH) Arabs, Friesians, Thoroughbred and Cleveland Bay are all closed studbooks, but I don't know of many others. I have thoroughbreds, warmbloods and arab derivatives. The only ones of those that are "purebred" are the thoroughbreds (that then get crossed to produce the others :D )

For those who have said they have pedigree/purebred horses I am actually interested in what you consider purebred. There aren't that many closed studbooks for horses. Warmblood studbooks are not closed - therefore they are not "purebred". Welsh allow interbreeding between their registries (A, B, C and D). Quarter Horses are not a closed studbook (3/4 thoroughbreds can be shown as "purebred" QH) Arabs, Friesians, Thoroughbred and Cleveland Bay are all closed studbooks, but I don't know of many others. I have thoroughbreds, warmbloods and arab derivatives. The only ones of those that are "purebred" are the thoroughbreds (that then get crossed to produce the others :D )

put it this way, I didn't own and wouldn't own and 1st or second cross QH