Purebred Is Best But What About Other Pets?

Wilderblu

prior to our next dog, only ever had cross breeds, next one for sure will be purebreed from a regsitered breeder, no BYB

Cats - up to last acquisition, again only moggies, but have just got a purebred Devon from a breeder, and would only ever buy purebreeds now

Horses - we have an breed thoroughbreds, so these are all purebred

Definitely agree that the cat breeder population is just as worried about the BYB and the every increasing influx of cross bred cats masquerading as "purebreds", you only need to look at some of the pet trader sites to see these (all the "ragdolls" for instance or Ragdoll crosses, that look like if they have any ragdoll in them, it is in their big toe, and unlike a registered breeder, a lot of these are advertised for similar prices, but without the health checks / genetic tests having been done on the parents, so no health guarantees as far as that goes, and usually not desexed, so these costs on top of what the purchase price is. A lot of the cat breeders too offer the lifetime support for you to always come back with any queries etc, or if you ever need to rehome the cat, (would like to see your BYB do that) And there can be quite some size differences in cats, so that whilst not as marked as in dog breeds (eg Great Dane vs Chihuahua), you would be in trouble for instance if you crossed a Maine Coon with a Singapura as the kittens may be way too large for the mother to deliver safely. Quite simply a lot of these breeds have been developed for their quirks, so do not see the need to cross them (same as crossing a beagle and a ckc - why would you do it, just does not make any kind of sense)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of my rats were from breeders who were members of the state Rat Fancy (listed as breeders, but not *registered* like with the ANKC I don't believe), and the rats came with pretty extensive pedigrees (one was about 10 gens) but were not registered like dogs/cats are.

Wow! Do they name them like they do pedigree dogs??

A few of my rats were from breeders who were members of the state Rat Fancy (listed as breeders, but not *registered* like with the ANKC I don't believe), and the rats came with pretty extensive pedigrees (one was about 10 gens) but were not registered like dogs/cats are.

Wow! Do they name them like they do pedigree dogs??

Some do :eek: Some have really extravagent 'show names' but others just had the rattery prefix & the rat's call name.

What I have now: Rescued Lab kelpie cross

What I have had:

Throughbred x Clydestale was a great at Cross country and show jumping but now is the most handsome lawnmower I have.

An adopted fox (I didn't have the heart to kill it and it counts as a pet as it slept on my bedroom floor)

3 guinea pigs from the same breeder who I got pedigrees for

1 budgie which also came with a registration ring and paper pedigree

What I have now: Rescued Lab kelpie cross

What I have had:

Throughbred x Clydestale was a great at Cross country and show jumping but now is the most handsome lawnmower I have.

An adopted fox (I didn't have the heart to kill it and it counts as a pet as it slept on my bedroom floor)

3 guinea pigs from the same breeder who I got pedigrees for

1 budgie which also came with a registration ring and paper pedigree

Do you have any photos of your fox?? One of my favourite animals :eek:

Crossbred horses seem to have many many benefits over purebreeds for sport & competition (Warmblood mixes, TB/Clydie, Irish Sport Horses etc), and I would actually consider the purpose-bred mixed breed horses as pedigree if they come from registered parents?? After all, a pedigree is just the family tree.

And many horse registries take applications based on conformation/type (Waler, Australian Pony studbook, as well as the colour registries and so on).

I have had an Aussie Pony type (had a brand but never found out who bred him), Mini Horse (we think... she was a rescue), Thoroughbred & mum currently has what we believe to be a Connemara (sp) cross.

All of my animals will only ever be either purebred/registered or rescue.

My Birman cat is from a reg'd breeder, as with the dogs.

The fish are all 'purebred', wild caught, but am darn sure there has been no crossbreeding going on with my lot :(

The current horses are a reg'd QH and a rescue Anglo Arab (I have the papers to register her but haven't gotten around to it). Next purchase is a purebred Friesian.

My cow is a rescue Black Angus cross.

Chickens are also purebred (pit game), and am researching to find some nice Wyandottes from show stock.

Edited by aquaticmalamute

Two Pure bred Ridgebacks here

One Pure bred Birman cat . I bred her myself while a registered breeder with the QFA. She cost me $20,000 to get that one kitten from imported parents. Then due to my health I had to give up breeding so I desexed her and she is now sitting on my bed.

One Shire horse. Fully imported mare from England. Also an adored pet.

All the cross breds in this house are the people...

Dogs here (11) are all either registered pedigrees or breed rescues.

Horses are 1 reg TB, 1 rescue TB (I'm sure you could chase his rego up but I've never bothered) & 1 Paint/QH (eligible for rego but I'm slack & have no plans at this stage to show him) & 2 reg Miniature horses.

1 cat - rescue moggy

40 goats - 37 registered fullbloods (Boers) & 3 Boer x.

21 Guinea Fowl - have no idea if there is a fancy, club or register for these guys but they look purebred :(

Does anyone know about rats and guinea pigs though??

From my post above

My Guinea pigs are not pedigree or rego'd, however a friend of mine now breeds them.

Having said that she was explaining to me the other day that the Cavy Association registers breeders, but not individual animals. So your "pure" something can actually have a different coat type/colured parent or grandparent. You may have a red self smooth that has a black grandparent (actually done to strengthen and deepen the red colour) Or in the case of another Cavy a long haired Grandparent in a short smooth type of cavy that then went on to produce babies with coats that were not correct for his type.

Apparently they can still be rego'd even if the sow was running with different boars and they don't know exactly who the boar was that mated her.

It is seen as much better though if all records are kept as they should be.

Both the cat breeders I bought my cats from had the same ethics as the best dog breeders. Kittens came desexed and microchipped with all vet work done. They offered support for the life of the cats, and I'm to return the cats to them if ever I can't keep them.

when i was breeding/showing my rabbits they all had pedigree papers and the show quality ones all had to have a ring with brc and a number on it so it could be recorded on the warci records , but the pets ones didnt , with rabbits u could always tell if they'd bn cross bred , my rats and guinea pigs were the same but didnt have any sort of definate things like the rings

Ragdoll crosses, that look like if they have any ragdoll in them, it is in their big toe, and unlike a registered breeder, a lot of these are advertised for similar prices, but without the health checks / genetic tests having been done on the parents, so no health guarantees as far as that goes,

In regards to health "guarantees", no animal can ever have a guarantee. Also, if an animal, say a rescue from a pound/research lab is going to have a health problem, they will get sick regardless of whether you own it or not. The only difference is that if you are a caring pet owner, a sick animal will be better off in your care than someone else less educated/dedicated than you. So as far as health guarantees from purebred litters, abandonded/unwanted animals will still be getting sick, and not having anything to do with them is only avoiding the problem. I would gladly adopt an animal with health problems, because I know that caring for it is better than it getting euthanased/going to surgery class.

Pink Panther, obviously no one is ever going to be able to guarantee that an animal is never going to get sick, that is not what I meant.

I mean from the point of view that the cats are tested by registered breeders for such diseases as PKD, HCM, HD, FeLV and FIV, so that you are ensured that when buying a cat from a breeder who has tested for all of these diseases that the kitten is free from these, as the breeding stock that they have used is not a carrier of them. There would be very few BYB who would probably even know what these are, let alone test for them

The one thing we have to be very careful of if we keep breeding all these mixes, is that we loose some of our beautiful purebreeds forever............This is even so in the chicken/ducks/geese/pigs/horse and cattle world. It is important to maintain pure breeds as best we can. Some breeds have already been lost forever. It is such a shame. So i am a pure breed supporter, even though i do have a gorgeous Border Colli X Golden. I would never purposely breed a cross breed.

Growing up I only ever had mixed breed dogs (Free) and Moggie cats (also free). My father would never spend money buying a dog or cat!! :laugh: Always a puppy being given away by someone.

My first pedigree dog was a miniture Poodle that I paid for when I started work at 16. He was the equivalent of a weeks wage but most definitely worth it!

I now have a unregistered German Shepherd. A beautiful farm bred dog that I bought locally.

2 lovely Cavaliers both registered.

A ginger and white male cat. I've had a ginger and white all my life. Always with the same name so this one is Bini the 6th. Weird huh?

A Tabby Male (my husbands cat ) ex feral.

A purebred lilac Burmese. Bought from Breeder (Registered) ex Show Male that retained his testicle and was given to me. Lovely boy.

Can't believe I forgot th horses!! :(

Purebreds TB's (ex race) and Arabian.

Partbred Arabian Pintos, 15/16th Arabian but you won't find a Purebred Arabin Pinto of course. (the Pinto colour came from a Shetland Pony 3 generations back.

Arabian/Welsh Mounain Pony Cross from two purebred parents.

Cross breeding Arabian into many other breeds has been the foundation of many a new breed today. Also the infusion of a bit of pizzaz into existing breeds.

Edited by LizT

But then, how do you determine ancestory and such?

Your own records basically. Back when I was involved we had paper records only, and I still had those until recently. Nowdays there are programs much like dog pedigree programs. You would record the birds ring number and year and that is its ID as such. And if you buy from a good breeder, then you would be able to get your birds pedigree. They just dont look quite as impressive without names. But I am sure you would list all their wins.

I bred a couple of Grand Champions and had some really good wins. I miss the birds, but can no longer keep birds due to having developed an allergy to them!

Thanks. I assume it might be a similar thing with chooks and other feathered friends?

Does anyone know about rats and guinea pigs though??

As I've only just recently become interested in the whole thing I don't know an awful lot about the ins and outs of pedigree papers for chickens and general fowl, but I do believe they have their own ID's in the form of their leg bands and the breeders have pedigree documentation as well as breed recognition with Poutry Fancier's association and various breed clubs. It isn't like dog pedigrees at all, but they do have their methods. Probably it would be best to contact a club to get a more accurate description, and I wouldn't quote myself. :laugh: