Poisonous Frogs

AngelSoul

Sorry if this has posted before.

I found a spotty looking frog in my yard tonight, with a longish nose and like a lightist stripe down its mouth. Didn't look like a toad, but by gee it ran like one! We have lots of green frogs, but I kill every toad I find.

Does anyone know if it could be a swamp frog or something, we have had lots of rain lately (Qld) ? Or esp. if it might be poisonous to the dogs.

I am not sure about frogs now.we had what looked to be a green tree frog in our back yard,that i found Wugs happily playing with.I picked it up and it secreted a white milky liquid from its back,does anyone know if this is poisonous for dogs?

So i threw it into some long grass and bushes,that made me a bit worried.

Cane Toads are all too frequent,i put them in a plastic bag and in in the freezer,or straight in the bin.

I have, or have had many different types of frogs. Never found any to be poisonous to the dogs, although i do try to stop the dogs harming them. I've never seen anything which suggested frogs were poisonous.

I don't think the milky liquid is poisonous either - I think it is a deterrent to things which would eat frogs. Snakes and toads maybe?

You need to be careful when you are toad hunting, as those lumpy looking brownish frogs can resemble toads, specially at night. :heart: And more specially when you have had a wine or two.

I was told by a herpetologist in 1st year zoology that all frogs have toxins in their skin of some sort. What they do to other animals varies drastically. Obviously, most frogs are harmless and are eaten by all manner of creatures. We don't have any species of native frog in Australia that is dangerous, but sometimes their skin makes dogs froth at the mouth a bit. I know of several species of frogs that anecdotally ooze mucous from their skin when stressed that is unpleasant and causes itchyness to human skin.

I think it's fair to assume that any frog that is brightly coloured is one that probably has some form of unpleasantness up their sleeve, but AFAIK none of the natives are actually dangerous. They're a bit like hairy caterpillars. My little brother had a violent allergic reaction to hairy caterpillars, so maybe it pays to just stay away! :o

A good place to start with frog ID is their toes. Tree frogs have toe disks at the ends to help them climb, whereas burrowing frogs have no disks. The next place to look is their groin and thighs. Many have diagnostic markings there, and it's often quite bright and there are sometimes black spots. Maybe this is what you saw? The third thing to look for is stripes.

Toads are identified most readily by their very upright sitting position and the eyes high on the head. There are lots of small brown burrowing frogs that scramble around like toads.

FROGS OF QLD.

You may find it here :laugh:

I don't think frogs are poisonous to dogs at all- only toads :rofl:

I didn't either until I read this thread -

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=179124 that they are.

I thought that was mostly likely the nasty taste of the frog ooze thing they do when threatened, rather than an actual toxin. The dog was fine without any vet treatment, which suggests the ooze (exudate) is not toxic.

Agree with Corvus, watch out for brown frogs, in case you mistake them for toads and bump them off by accident.\

I mowed my paddock today and noticed lots of baby toads - 2 - 3 cm in the long grass, running away from the mower, so I guess they have hatched following the wet weather. May have to begin the toad patrol again, although there aren't many in the garden.

You can find a list of Australian poisonous frogs here: Australian poisonous frogs. They all belong to genus Pseudophryne, which should mean that green tree frogs (genus Litoria) are not poisonous.

Unfortunately that site does not give photos of these species, only distribution and some information, although not much because all these species seem rare. There are some photos here: Frogs of Australia, but you will have to scroll and look for these species.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to this thread. I was relocating a noisy green tree frog last night. I wet my hands picked him up, had a look at him 'cos I think they're lovely, then ran across the road to put him in some bushland. Suddenly my eye starting stinging like hell. It must have been the frog. There was absolutely nothing else it could have been. Has anyone else ever heard of them squirting toxin. My eye is a bit better today after copious flushings with water and Systane. It's still a bit sore and red but on the mend I think.

• 7 years later...