Designer Dogs... Are They Better Than Purebred?

LizT

No no, not at all, we did learn something.... Katrina did say that these dogs are less likely to have problems than pure bred dogs. :D

Thankfully she was basically cut off by Lisa and Carl.

It amazes me that so people that are highly regarded by the public can get away with blatant lies.

Am fed up with it all.

Edited by dyzney

Yep, about to say something relevant and important and Dr. Katrina is cut off...... (sad about Toby but every dog has it's day).

Almost mentioned that purebred problems could be avoided IF both parents didn't have any problems but that is also the case with Purebreds!! She was about to say that if the Parents had problems so would the X Breed dogs but no.... cut off....Thanks Dr. Katrina and Goodbye.

These 60 second stories do nothing to help the public about informed choices.

Seeing that video makes me a bit :( considering when I was younger one of the reasons I became more interested in dogs was because of her and Toby.

Now all I see is the money and marketing behind it all :rofl:

Didn't see the the article had to leave for work, however I was shopping for a glitzy collar at a dog specialty shop, in walks a girl and her mum, they were looking for a collar for their puppy,long story short, I asked what type of puppy, and they said Sharpie/Rottie cross, I was so dumbfounded, my reply was I hope that was not on purpose, they looked quite upset, so it it not only the oodles being crossed but anything with four legs, I've also heard of Golden/Samoyed and Chow/Cocker and Chow/Flatcoat.What I don't understand is that some of these crosses are with relatively rare breeds espcially the Chow and the Sharpie, what happened to Dogs Vic code of Conduct and Ethics.

sharpie is a texta ... shar pei is a dog

what a horrific cross.

Backyarders are not bound by any code of ethics. Go have a look at the trading post advertisements you'll be blown away ... AND PEOPLE PAY HUNDREDS nay THOUSAND + FOR THESE BLOODY DOGS

and then whinge papered, health tested purebreeds are expensive

where's a DERRRR emoticon

Whoops :thumbsup: sorry about the lack of a space but I was thinking about the breeders who are supposed to be bound by the Dogs Vic code re selling their puppies: ie to pet shops etc.It just that those two breeds (Chow Chow and Shar Pei) are fairly uncommon, so would it be unfair to suppose some that breeders are off loading their excess puppies to the puppy farmers.

Whoops :cheer: sorry about the lack of a space but I was thinking about the breeders who are supposed to be bound by the Dogs Vic code re selling their puppies: ie to pet shops etc.It just that those two breeds (Chow Chow and Shar Pei) are fairly uncommon, so would it be unfair to suppose some that breeders are off loading their excess puppies to the puppy farmers.

:thumbsup:

I would very much hope that wasn't the case and i highly doubt anyone involved with the ANKC or their state organisations would even consider that. Perhaps selling to someone who posed as an excited and perfect puppy buyer, yes, but to 'offload' to a puppy farmer, when what they are trying to do is improve the breed, to create dogs that looks and act and perform as their specific breed should, it would go against everything they were doing. You could almost suggest that a very very unethical breeder might sell a litter to a pet shop - and i mean almost because it would be very far against what most fee paying, registered breeders believe in... but to offload to a puppy farmer, knowing full well that the dog would then be used for breeding!? Ugh sorry but to suggest that is so frustrating.... It would be SO unfair to "suppose that some breeders would do that."

ETA: On topic - a friend told me this was on, but heard more of the vibe of buying from an ethical breeder and meeting the parents of the pups etc?

Edited by Bindii

Whoops :cheer: sorry about the lack of a space but I was thinking about the breeders who are supposed to be bound by the Dogs Vic code re selling their puppies: ie to pet shops etc.It just that those two breeds (Chow Chow and Shar Pei) are fairly uncommon, so would it be unfair to suppose some that breeders are off loading their excess puppies to the puppy farmers.

:thumbsup:

I would very much hope that wasn't the case and i highly doubt anyone involved with the ANKC or their state organisations would even consider that. Perhaps selling to someone who posed as an excited and perfect puppy buyer, yes, but to 'offload' to a puppy farmer, when what they are trying to do is improve the breed, to create dogs that looks and act and perform as their specific breed should, it would go against everything they were doing. You could almost suggest that a very very unethical breeder might sell a litter to a pet shop - and i mean almost because it would be very far against what most fee paying, registered breeders believe in... but to offload to a puppy farmer, knowing full well that the dog would then be used for breeding!? Ugh sorry but to suggest that is so frustrating.... It would be SO unfair to "suppose that some breeders would do that."

ETA: On topic - a friend told me this was on, but heard more of the vibe of buying from an ethical breeder and meeting the parents of the pups etc?

Sadly there ARE registered breeders who a)don't care where there pups end up as long as they get the $$$ in their pocket; OR b)DO sell unregistered litters to petshops/agents; OR c)are nothing more than registered puppy farmers themselves.

I'm pretty sure Dr. katrina was eluding to the fact that the so called "Designer Dogs" are free from "problems" ONLY IF BOTH parents are health checked and Free of problems also (As per what resposible breeders are trying to achieve with purebred dogs). Only problems was "they ran out of time and she was cut off at that point so it left the impression that these dogs were "free of the problems some purebred dogs have". Not a good outcome unless Mr. or Mrs. 'Getting ready forschool/work' were listening VERY carefully to what was said. At that time of day...I doubt it.

I am surprised that noone has mentioned has stupid Carl was, by saying to the dog he was holding to skitch the other dog that was next to him. :laugh: They are all a pack of idiots and whoever takes notice of what they say are idiots too. :(

Carl is notoriously frightened of many animals, in particularly small dogs, I'm surprised they managed to get him to hold one.

My concern is that its very easy for all of us to say they are stupid and idiots etc and that any one that believes them is too, but a segment such as this has wide penetration with the Joe Average audience. While we DOLers can turn off (I saw the story coming and went and had a shower as I knew it would just get me angry) we have to remember that this is the only information that some people get, rightly or wrongly. As members of the dog community, most of us involved in showing, breeding, dog sports or training, we need to continue to pick up the slack the media sloppily drop and provide more education to our friends, colleagues etc.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

Carl is notoriously frightened of many animals, in particularly small dogs, I'm surprised they managed to get him to hold one.

My concern is that its very easy for all of us to say they are stupid and idiots etc and that any one that believes them is too, but a segment such as this has wide penetration with the Joe Average audience. While we DOLers can turn off (I saw the story coming and went and had a shower as I knew it would just get me angry) we have to remember that this is the only information that some people get, rightly or wrongly. As members of the dog community, most of us involved in showing, breeding, dog sports or training, we need to continue to pick up the slack the media sloppily drop and provide more education to our friends, colleagues etc.

I couldn't agree more instead of complaining (trust me i do it A LOT!!) we really need to start taking more action and hold these illegal breeders responsible, dob them in (if we can find them) and see if we cant get a representative from dogs VIC or the ankc to go on these shows and voice our opinions so that the general public isnt only hearing the crappy side they hear ours as well... We know they are wrong but nobody else ever will if we dont attempt to educate others!! :heart:

She really pisses me off self righteous ***** she owns all pedigree dogs as far as i know so if designer dogs are so good why doesnt she have one?? love to hear her response i cant wait to she her poodle cross in training seeing as she needs a dog with her for her advertising campaigns!!

She is in it for the quick buck and isnt a responsible Veterinarian...

Wow i feel better now thanks for listening... hahaha

Edited by kirst_goldens