Rocco

rocco

I took you on holidays and couldn't wait to see you run and play on the beach. This came to a sudden halt when your car ramp slipped and fell with you on it. Your injury from when you were a puppy was not stable enough to take that fall. I failed you there, I will never forgive myself. I should have got you out of the car, not someone else. If I had only done this you would be here. Your holiday was spent stuck inside trying to recover from such a heavy fall. I thought you were getting better, but you weren't. I know you tried to hide your pain from me. You tried to get up but your legs fell out from under you and you collapsed. Then your injury and your pain was evident. I booked into the vet to have you assessed, knowing in my heart that it might be time. We stood around in the vets discussing every option for you but kept coming back to that one right choice. All this time you laid by my side having no idea what I was talking about. On Thursday 28th January you looked at me with your big happy face and then slid into my arms to sleep forever. I told you how much I loved you.

I remembered when I first picked you up as a puppy. I was so amazed at such a handsome puppy. You were stunning. But boy were you scary and crazy. I don’t know how you did it but within one second of being left unsupervised you would bring down a curtain system, consume a pair of shoes and disable a cell phone. You would run through the house making this weird crazy noise like you were possessed. At one point I thought you were. But then you matured into the most incredible, kind, gentle boy.

We went through so much together big guy. You stood by my side through all of it. When we moved to Australia I think this is when you finally felt like you had a home and a pack. I know you and Cindy had this love hate relationship. Your arrogance and stubbornness annoyed her. Slapping your paw on her face, when sleeping on the couch, to get attention, is not the best way to make friends! Try not to do that where you are as it won’t get you any popularity points. When Ralph arrived you accepted him as the proud dog you are. He was there but you knew you were king. He adored you, you are his hero. He grew into the little guy he is today because of you and the manners you taught him to have. I know you gave up on some of those annoying Dachshund traits. Some things just can’t be cured, huh?

You showed me my path with my photography. I loved taking photos of you so much. I never bored of you. Gosh you were one handsome boy. I know you might have got sick of the camera, but I also knew you liked cheese, and you were a sucker for it every time. I’m going to miss you like nothing in this world. If I could just hug you right now... I would do anything to. I’m going to miss you sleeping behind me every day with your disco dancing dreams. I'm going to miss having a drool slinger to carry around every day on my pants. I’m going to miss seeing your spins of excitement where we all run behind the couch to get out of your way (even Ralph). But most of all I’m going to miss just you and who you were. You were one in a million. You had a big heart and gave us so much love. You will forever be in my heart and there will be hole from the part that you took with you.

Because you were truly too perfect for this world, I’m pretty sure you were an angel in disguise. You are back where you should be. Maybe even to return and help someone else like you did me with your gentle kind ways.

I want to thank everyone on DOL for all your kind support. It’s been so touching to see how he has made such an impression on other people in this world. People I will probably never meet. He was a magnificent dog and happily gave anyone back that kindness. He was a true ambassador for his breed.

Serena.

Rocco you will always be a legend, dogs like you never truly die.

4270205357_24dcef5e01.jpg

Our bond will never be broken. Wait for me big guy.

3426089166_d914f9c581.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek: A touching tribute to a beautiful boy, So sorry for your loss Serena Words fail me at times like this, You know how special Rocco was and it showed in every one of the pictures you took of him. He will be sadly missed by all his DOL followers. RIP big fella.....

God, I can't stop crying.

I wish so much we could share your pain Serena. I guess we are, but I wish it could help you more.

Rocco will live forever with all of us, your stunning photos & stories have made that a certainty.

Thank you so much for sharing Rocco's life with us.

The biggest hugs ever to you.

Vickie

How terribly sad. Poor Rocco. He knew that you adored him. Just look at that face :eek:

It must feel quite strange knowing that so many people "know" and loved your gorgeous boy. I, for one, absolutely loved seeing what you three were up to and what crazy outfit Rocco was patiently wearing.

Your tribute had me in tears and laughing out loud. He was definitely one of a kind.

Thinking of you. Hugs.