Open Letter To Rspca

Steve

http://rouse-hill-times.whereilive.com.au/...e-indian-mynas/

Dear RSPCA,

There are thousands of Australians fighting a war in their own backyards seeking to preserve our Australian native birds and marsupials from being killed by Indian Mynas.

The Indian Mynas hunt them in packs, deprive them of food, keep them from water, take their nesting and living hollows away and kill them. Sometimes they kill them reasonably quickly –that is, if pecking out their eyes and tearing their chests apart is quick.

It is a much slower and more agonising death for the young birds that have Indian Mynas build a nest on top of them and allow them to starve to death…. that is, unless they have started to feed off them before they are dead.

Despite this horrific slaughter my program and others are firm in promoting the humane euthanizing of these pest birds, we promote the use of car exhaust from a cold petrol engine. Please note the word cold, we agree with you that using a hot engine is in the same category as poisoning, drowning, shooting or electrocuting these birds …it is simply not on to do this.

I go even further and add cervical dislocation and lethal injection to the list of disposal methods I consider inappropriate. They are added because I think that the birds suffer unnecessary stress as they are handled in preparation for dispatch. A hand entering the cage to grab a bird also puts other birds in the cage into a stressed state.

Covering a cage after dusk and administering carbon monoxide from a cold engine is less stressful, much more humane and I might add, perfectly legal.

I would very much appreciate it if your officers would be instructed to stop making headlines by threatening to prosecute trappers who are in fact using a very humane method to dispose of these birds.

I believe we adhere to your guidelines found in Article ID 151 part of which is reproduced below .Those interested in the full item will find it at http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-humane-vertebrate-pest-control_151.html

“What is humane vertebrate pest control?

Humane vertebrate pest control (HVPC) is the development and selection of feasible control programs and techniques that avoid or minimise pain, suffering and distress to target and non-target animals.

A totally humane pest control method is one where the animal experiences no pain, suffering or distress. In the case of lethal control, humane killing is defined as an immediate and irreversible loss of consciousness followed by cardiac or respiratory arrest and the ultimate loss of brain function. This is difficult to achieve even in very controlled circumstances. Consequently it is often appropriate to use humaneness as a relative term: when we talk of relative humaneness we mean causing more or less pain, suffering or distress”

Rather than threatening to prosecute those who have undertaken this huge task to preserve our native birds and marsupials for future generations I would like to suggest that you openly and actively support the removal of these pests.

In support of this I bring your attention to item 9 in the RSPCA Australia Animals Charter

This says

“• Native animals and birds should be maintained safely in their natural environment and should be free from hunting, trapping and captivity. Culling may occur, but only when proven necessary for the preservation and benefit of the species. Culling must only be carried out under proper supervision and control.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/RSPCA-Australia-animals-charter_316.html

What jumps out at me from this item is Native animals and birds should be maintained safely in their natural environment and should be free from hunting………..

Our native birds are being denied their natural environment by Indian Mynas and are in fact being hunted by them with devastating results.

Your organisation is highly thought of and is to be commended for the work it does. It may be that you do not have the resources to wage an active campaign against these hunters and deprivers of our native bird’s natural environment. Perhaps you could consider allocating resources for this purpose in the future.

In the meantime I strongly urge you again to have your officers cease threats against people who are disposing of these birds in a humane and effective way using cold car engines. Their actions have in fact restored safety to native birds in their yards and on their properties and allow them to enjoy their natural environment free from being hunted.

Regards

Garry Cunich

National Coordinator

Indian Myna Eradication Program

(02) 45778335

<H2 class=heading>Write the News!</H2>Know something we don't? Help set the local agenda by writing your own news stories.

Write news <H2 class=heading>About the author</H2>Writer: GarryC Articles Written: 8 Joined: 24 February 2009

Can't stand those bloody birds. I have been destroying myna nests in the dog shed all spring and summer. We have ALOT of mynas here now and so few native birds. It's been years since I've seen a beautiful blue wren in the front yard. I haven't seen many honey eaters for that matter either :o

In the ACT the CIMAG (Canberra Indian Myna Acton Group) work in conjunction with the RSPCA and carbon monoxide is a joint approved method of disposal, along with lethal injection which is provided for those who aren't able to arrange disposal themselves. I assume this story comes from Sydney? What happened to spark it?

What jumps out at me from this item is Native animals and birds should be maintained safely in their natural environment and should be free from hunting………..

Our native birds are being denied their natural environment by Indian Mynas and are in fact being hunted by them with devastating results.

You support that native animals and birds should be free from being hunted - then do you also support that native carnivores do not prey on native animals?

In regards to the non-native mynahs hunting native wildlife, may I remind you that it was humans who introduced this species, the did not fly over by themselves. So when talking about non-native wildlife, it is not a fair option to kill them when they are not at fault. These animals do not have the option of relocation, so they have to survive preying on native animals.

To support this kind of argument, ALL non-native animals must have no impact on the native wildlife, which includes humans, bovines, sheep, deer, horses, dogs etc. You cannot single out mynahs for harming wildlife.

I have never seen or heard of Common Mynahs killing native birds or mammals. They are insect eaters, which is why they were introduced. Furthermore, they don't have the physical power to kill anything other than an unprotected nestling, and just about any native bird the same size would do that if it had the opportunity. Just yesterday I saw an Australian Raven killing a Common Mynah that had been injured by a car.

What's more, Common Mynahs are much like rats and Pigeons. Ever seen one more than half a kilometre from human habitation? They don't do so well away from humans. If you want to take care of Mynahs (and rats and pigeons), maybe take care of humans. We put them here and they are dependent on us. We are far more invasive and have a much more serious impact on a much wider variety of native species.

Watch a group of Mynahs gather around a dead family member and then tell me you want to kill more of them. In the quest to prevent perceived cruelty to native animals, don't be causing even more cruelty yourselves.

When I first saw the title I though it was about Indian youths in Australia.

We've had an invasion of Indian mynas in about the last 6 months. I think it must have something to do with the bushfires but I am not sure why/how. Since they've come my Eastern Spinebills have gone, so have the wrens and willy wagtails and probably lots of other small breeds I dont know the names of.

In regards to the non-native mynahs hunting native wildlife, may I remind you that it was humans who introduced this species, the did not fly over by themselves. So when talking about non-native wildlife, it is not a fair option to kill them when they are not at fault. These animals do not have the option of relocation, so they have to survive preying on native animals.

To support this kind of argument, ALL non-native animals must have no impact on the native wildlife, which includes humans, bovines, sheep, deer, horses, dogs etc. You cannot single out mynahs for harming wildlife.

In 1859, a Winchelsea grazier by the name of Thomas Austin imported 14 pairs of 'breeding' rabbits. Do I need to go into the consequences? Some years afterwards, when Mr Austin's rabbits had got, in the words of his gamekeeper, 'a little out of control', hundreds of domestic cats were released on another grazier's property, the Chirnsides, at Lara near Geelong. Do I need to remind you of the consequences? Or foxes? Or the cane toad?

The 'it's not their fault' is a very silly reason for not eradicating pests.

I note in passing that when I first moved into my house, I had a shitload of mynahs. I see nary a one nowadays and my yard is full of natives. I had kookaburras a couple of weeks ago. I can only conclude that the dogs got rid of them because I haven't done anything else.

Edited by Sheridan

One of my extremely early posts here on DOL was about Indian Mynah Birds killing my mum's cocker spaniel puppy (he was about 4 weeks old at the time).

He had food left on his face after a meal. Birds must have come for the food an ended up going for his eyes and more.

I HATE Indian Mynahs.

ETA:

I just went and checked the posts from SIX years ago. Pup was older:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6238&hl=

Edited by Ashanali

I own 6 dogs and had to stop leaving them dry food to graze on thru the day as it was not only attracting these horrible birds but the :o were consuming 80% of the biscuits costing me a small fortune!!

We no longer even have sparrows visit let alone the wag tails or Lorrikeets we used to love to watch visit!!

Shel & Pink Panther,

Biological xenophobia indeed! I do hope that you practise what you preach thoroughly and do not do anything to reduce the capacity of all species to thrive to the best of their ability, including those that most humans actively practise biological xenophobia against: mice, rats,cockroaches, flies, mosquitoes, ticks, lice, intestinal worms, maggots, etc! If so, I imagine that your households and bodies are now over-run with vermin doing what comes naturally.

Shel & Pink Panther,

Biological xenophobia indeed! I do hope that you practise what you preach thoroughly and do not do anything to reduce the capacity of all species to thrive to the best of their ability, including those that most humans actively practise biological xenophobia against: mice, rats,cockroaches, flies, mosquitoes, ticks, lice, intestinal worms, maggots, etc! If so, I imagine that your households and bodies are now over-run with vermin doing what comes naturally.

:):laugh:

These birds are a menace and in plague proportions in my area. In fact you rarely see other birds in the garden now, which was very different when I moved here 10 years ago. I counted 50 of the bloody things on someone's lawn one day.

They are destructive apart from killing the native birds, they were ripping my roof apart so they could build a nest.

They aren't native, they destroy native birds and are vicious, that's enough for me. The only good Indian Mynah is a dead one.

I feel the same about feral cats too.

I have never seen or heard of Common Mynahs killing native birds or mammals. They are insect eaters, which is why they were introduced. Furthermore, they don't have the physical power to kill anything other than an unprotected nestling, and just about any native bird the same size would do that if it had the opportunity. Just yesterday I saw an Australian Raven killing a Common Mynah that had been injured by a car.

What's more, Common Mynahs are much like rats and Pigeons. Ever seen one more than half a kilometre from human habitation? They don't do so well away from humans. If you want to take care of Mynahs (and rats and pigeons), maybe take care of humans. We put them here and they are dependent on us. We are far more invasive and have a much more serious impact on a much wider variety of native species.

Watch a group of Mynahs gather around a dead family member and then tell me you want to kill more of them. In the quest to prevent perceived cruelty to native animals, don't be causing even more cruelty yourselves.

They were introduced because people liked their song... Australia had plenty of insect eating birds. If you've never seen what they can do to native birds and animals then you must not have spent much time in wildlife care and rehabilitation.

They are classed as feral invasive for good reason. They see all other species as competiton, for food, or territory, or breeding spots etc etc. They will kill any bird nestlings pr juvenile they find for that reason. Regardless of species. Including Raptors and Owls.

They do have strong family bonds, which is what drives them to eradicate any birds or animals they can find.

You're right. It isn't their fault they are here and they do what they do. Neither is it native species' fault that we chose to bring them here. Native birds and animals have no defence against their attacks. This is why people feel compelled to try and control the numbers of Mynas, to try and give natives a small chance against them.

If a Raven got one, well done to it. Even young Ravens and Currawongs, some of the most feared avian predators we have, are habitually maimed by packs of Indian Mynas.

They don't get called the "flying cane toad" for nothing.

Shel & Pink Panther,

ticks, lice and interstinal worms are not vermin, they are parasites. You should not be killing any vertebrates in your backyard without the presence of a veterinarian. And if you think that killing mynahs will stop wildlife getting killed, then I suppose you also spend every weekend volunteering at a wildlife hospital and at a wildlife rehabilitator. I hope you too practice what you preach.

Also, I'm sure that cats have killed more wildlife that mynahs have. But don't worry, there are plenty of those being killed in pounds and labs too.

Shel & Pink Panther,

I find it amusing that when what I consider a very moderate position is presented; that all animals should have their lives valued regardless of species, that there's always someone who takes the extreme aggressive end of the spectrum as the counter: "gargh, you must be living barefoot in the bush saving worms - what would you know".

If you'd read either of the links you'd have seen the objection to biological xenophobia is the illogical species hatred that goes with it. "I hate X animal" reveals more about the person saying it, than the animal itself. Certainly animals will sometimes, for their own good, or human health, will need to be controlled. What is unhelpful is the associated celebration of their death. "They deserve to die"... no they don't. They're innocents just trying to survive in a world and an environment in which everything eats, displaces, bullies or succumbs to something else. This is nature.

So when humans choose to meddle in nature we should be doing so because all other management avenues have been exhausted, and with the upmost respect and compassion for those we choose to kill. Because bee is to bird is to dog is to… everything else. While we can dislike the effect of an animal in proximity, we can dislike the effect of it entering an ecosystem, we should never hate an animal because of its breed or species.

So when humans choose to meddle in nature we should be doing so because all other management avenues have been exhausted, and with the upmost respect and compassion for those we choose to kill. Because bee is to bird is to dog is to… everything else. While we can dislike the effect of an animal in proximity, we can dislike the effect of it entering an ecosystem, we should never hate an animal because of its breed or species.

Unless its paralysis ticks, venomous snakes or mosquitoes. :cry::mad

Edited by poodlefan