Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

Danois   

Hi Guys

Given we clearly have the largest, most intelligent and most stunning dogs of all on this forum, I thought our own thread would be good! I am so grateful for the support I get here from other Dane owners because there it is one thing to read a book but another to 'talk' to someone who has been there recently.

RULES: The owner of a new puppy must post photos at least once a day!

ORIGINAL THREAD: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=97540

WHAT SHOULD YOU LOOK FOR WHEN GETTING A DANE FROM A REGISTERED BREEDER

(courtesy of sas)

Not a great deal of Dane Breeders test their stock.

If someone says they test ask to see the documentation, if they don't have the documentation don't believe them.

Testing should include:

Hips & Elbows, some may go one step further and do shoulders but it isn't neccessary to do shoulders unless there is a suspected problem.

http://www.greatdanes.net.au/scores.htm shows what the scoring looks like. The Breed average although not accurate is around 15 although that doesn't mean 15 is an ok score...the lower the better.

If a Breeder tells you they don't hip & elbow score because there are no problems in their lines don't believe them, they can't possibly know unless they do the xrays. The xrays must be scored by an accredited individual such as Wyburn not just the Vet looking at the xrays and saying they look ok.

A dog can get Hip and Elbow problems even from health tested stock, this problem can also be environmental as well as plain unlucky as well or it can be coming through from dogs way before it.

Heart - has the heart been checked and is there documentation, should be done annualy for breeding dogs. DCM (Cardio) which can be a problem in Danes can just suddenly pop up that is why the heart should be checked annualy, although because DCM can just pop up and testing may miss it some breeders may not test for this reason. Th

Thyroid - This should be tested and there will be documentation to say if the test was normal or an actual range shown.

Von Willebrand's Disease - Not a known problem in Australian stock so if a Breeder tests for it that's great but they don't it's not an issue.

Ocular disease - Not a known problem in Australian stock so if a Breeder tests for it that's great but they don't it's not an issue.

Wobblers - There is no genetic testing for this horrible disease, all you can do is ask the breeder if they have experienced Wobblers in any form, having Wobblers previously doesn't rule them out as your potential Breeder, you just want to find out if the Wobblers experienced is in the line you're looking at. I always suggest to ask health related questions in e-mails so you have their response on file.

Deaf / Blind - A problem that occurs in Harlequin breeding in 'some' lightly marked dogs, the Breeder will definatley know before the puppy is due to leave them if it has any of these problems. Don't be tempted to take one even if offered cheap or free unless you really are up to the commitment.

There are other problems that you should ask questions about, some of these problems you really need to get out there and meet the dogs, see them at their home and see them away from their home such as at a dog show to see how they are in that environment.

Skin issues - Ask the breeder if there are any skin problems in the line you are looking at, find out more about the skin issues, are they food allergies, atopy etc. Skin Allergies seem to be more common in coloured danes, more so Harlequins, some believe it to be because of the lack of pigment i.e. many White dogs or dogs with alot of white can be known to suffer from skin allergies. The coloured gene pool in Australia is quite small this may also be a reason for coloured danes sharing this problem through their genetics as science does tell us allergies and immune related issues can be genetic.

Temperament - One of the most aspects to selecting a Breeder, this is why it is important that you visit the Breeder and see the dogs on their home turf and also away from their home turf if possible, don't make excuses for the behaviours you see, are they inline with the type of dog you want to bring home? A dog temperament is part environmental and part genetic. A dog is not going to end up a mess because it had one bad experience, the weak nerves already have to be there for a little inccident to wreck a dogs temperament.

Tell the Breeder what kind of dog you want i.e. do you want a nice quiet family dog, do you want a dog with good solid drives for obedience work, do you want a nice confident dog with good nerves you can take out to dog parks and the beach etc. Breeders will know their pups the best (usually) and will be able to help you choose the pup most suitable for you. If you don't want a show dog then it really is a good idea to let the Breeder choose the pup for you so you're not choosing based on looks etc. All pups are cute so you need a person who will be logical hehehe

Things to avoid if you don't want to have to deal with issues: Leave the puppy who sits away from the litter like it doesn't belong or doesn't want to interact. Leave the puppy who is bullying the other puppies and is really full on with human vistitors. be very careful not to feel sorry for any of the puppies as that is how you can end up with a puppy not suitable to you.

Looking up puppy aptitude testing such as the 'Volhard' test seen in part here: http://www.standard-poodle.com/temptest.html I have the actual test in true length if you would like to be sent it.

If the Breeder doesn't do a test like this as if you can do the test yourself. If a Breeder takes offence then look elsewhere.

Bloat

Although Science doesn't know a great deal about it, it has found that Bloat seems to occurs in lines so if the Parent or Grandparent bloated there is a higher risk the off spring might. Bloat is pretty common place in any deep chested breed and you can do everything you can to avoid it and you may still have it happen, all we can do is love them whilst there here, they are a breed that makes you appreciate each day they are here. Bloating tends to happen from 5+ years of age.

Other health problems

As well as the above, ask the Breeder if there are been any other issues that have occured because the above is just breed specific but line specific can be different.

Ask other people

Ask other people in the Dane world what their 'take' is on that breeder, ask privately though as people won't feel comfortable otherwise. People will lie about other people but if you keep getting the same thing said then that may be more inclined to be something for you to look into further.

SOME OTHER GOOD READING:

'Buyer Beware' article by Dane Rescue QLD:

http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Great%20...er%20Beware.pdf

Are you sure a Dane is the right dog for you? Read through this:

http://bighoneydog.com/2010/07/02/greatdane-reality/

OUR STARS IN THE SKY

Danois --- Angus

Kaz --- Xander

Sas --- Turbo

Bozley's Angel --- Bozley & Harley

Barkon --- Konnie & Emily

CharlotteR --- Kaya & Luna

Seagate --- Lucy

Jukama --- Jester

Raineth --- Mr Darcy

Clare124 --- Stella

Riesenhaft --- Norton

Flash'sMum --- Flash

Danelady --- Mason

GreatDaneGirl --- Nitro & Stripe

BiggD --- Sonny

Sas --- Dante

Cointreau --- Sparkles

Flash'sMum --- Whitney

Edited by Danois

sas   

stay.gif

Instructional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24pdruHwmqs...&feature=iv

The Stay Challenge Instructional Video Mile Stones

Dog will need to have completed a clicker conditioning session/s before commencing so they understand what the Clicker means.

1) Introduction to Clicker training Part 1 Click here

2) Introduction to Clicker training Part 2 Click here

3) Introduction to Clicker training Part 3 Click here

The Stay Instructional Video

00:00 - 01:15 - Example of a Stay with Distractions

01:15 - 04:23 - What is the Stay without Punishment and why? Every Distraction is Reinforcing to the Dog

04:23 - 04:45 - Release your dog from a command

04:45 - 05:40 - Reinforce every distraction with a treat

05:40 - 06:32 - Proofing

06:32 - 08:36 - Watch a pup learn this activity -

A) Throw a treat away from the dog (not too close to the dog but not too far away for you to go and pick up) and click and reinforce the Stay at the moment you throw the treat away

B) Release the dog through the activity

C) Click the dog & reward for the dog stay whilst you pick up the treat you threw

D) Sit means Sit until I tell you to get up

E) Remember no punishment if they do the wrong thing that includes no Verbal punishment or bad body language that tells the dog you're upset

08:36 - 14:03 - Up the Ante

A) Bigger pieces of food being thrown i.e entire hot dogs

B) You can click 2 or 3 individual times are you have thrown the hot dog to reinforce the dog for staying, each click must be paired with a treat

C) Throw treat closer to the dog

D) Release Dog throughout activity

E) Dog stays put because you click it quickly without giving the dog the opportunity to think about breaking the stay

F) Up the ante again - throw our more and more large food items

G) When you walk away from the dog to pick up a treat remember to click and treat them on your return

H) Start throwing food on the other side of the dog

I) If the dog breaks the stay DO NOT let them get the treats you have been throwing around them / have them on a leash if needbe

J) Up the Ante - throw all the hot dogs / treats at the same time

K) Repeat Step J) but do it closer to the dog

L) Throw all the treats behind the dog

M) Throwing without the initial click (click a couple of seconds late)

N) Click the dog for looking at you

Edited by sas

sas   
nawww I would have liked ot have seen that!

What for? It was seriously crap. Only slightly amusing if you like listening to someone talking to their dog and giggling. Plus, if I put it on youtube, some casual observer (if anyone stumbled upon it) might think I was one of those bozos who loves themselves so much they'll put anything on youtube...no thanks.

Because it's a light hearted view of the challenge, nothing needs to be serious.

I don't think Shannon loves herself so much that she posted a light hearted approach to Orbit's go at the challenge?

Who cares what someone you don't know thinks? Chill, have fun!

Meh, think I missed something :thumbsup:

Perdy   

yay thanks all i,m down at batemans bay and reading on the phone. shall get to an internet cafe tomorrow and post properly!

D & D   

As it turns out, not all fluffy toys are stuffed with white stuffing :cheer:

I did kill my duck :thumbsup:

P2030164.jpg

I did help :cheer:

P2030165.jpg

Because it's a light hearted view of the challenge, nothing needs to be serious.

I don't think Shannon loves herself so much that she posted a light hearted approach to Orbit's go at the challenge?

Who cares what someone you don't know thinks? Chill, have fun!

Meh, think I missed something :thumbsup:

Shannon's video was funny, enjoyable, and Orbee actually achieved something, admittedly not always what was intended, but it was cute and he was trying hard to figure out what she wanted. Mine was just me being a d***head. I would have posted it for laughs...if it was funny enough. :cheer:

:cheer: What toy company thinks about stuffing a toy with look-alike blood and flesh? How to scare the bejeebus out of your toddler! That duck is seriously creepy!

Congrats Perdy and Sasha, you guys were awesome!

BiggD   

Congratulations Perdy and Sasha. A very smart girl and you too Sasha for training her!

That red stuffing is horrible!

We would like to do the next challenge but don't have a camcorder yet!

raineth   
Congratulations Perdy and Sasha. A very smart girl and you too Sasha for training her!

you can do it anyway!

Is it open to non-danes too Sas?

sas   
As it turns out, not all fluffy toys are stuffed with white stuffing :rolleyes:

I did kill my duck :love:

P2030164.jpg

I did help ;)

P2030165.jpg

:( Love it!

sas   

you can do it anyway!

Is it open to non-danes too Sas?

Yep!

sas   
Had some sleep last night!! Pups were more settled and quiet. I only had to jump up about four times! Will get a new shot today once I do morning chores etc.

After all old Winnie's carry on this week about the pups I let her go see them. She took one look and was like "is that what all the fuss is about?" " Been there done that" So now she has seen them she is over it. But I know once they come out of the box and start weaning she will start the motherly regurgitating she has done in the past for them. Even though she has been desexed for years now she still has not lost that maternal drive.

Bless her, sounds like she was a great mum in her day.

nabs   
Had some sleep last night!! Pups were more settled and quiet. I only had to jump up about four times! Will get a new shot today once I do morning chores etc.

After all old Winnie's carry on this week about the pups I let her go see them. She took one look and was like "is that what all the fuss is about?" " Been there done that" So now she has seen them she is over it. But I know once they come out of the box and start weaning she will start the motherly regurgitating she has done in the past for them. Even though she has been desexed for years now she still has not lost that maternal drive.

Bless her, sounds like she was a great mum in her day.

Terrific mother! She still mothers her two five year old sons AJ and Aldo!

sas   

The Stay Challenge Instructional Video Mile Stones

Dog will need to have completed a clicker conditioning session/s before commencing so they understand what the Clicker means.

1) Introduction to Clicker training Part 1 Click here

2) Introduction to Clicker training Part 2 Click here

3) Introduction to Clicker training Part 3 Click here

The Stay Instructional Video

00:00 - 01:15 - Example of a Stay with Distractions

01:15 - 04:23 - What is the Stay without Punishment and why? Every Distraction is Reinforcing to the Dog

04:23 - 04:45 - Release your dog from a command

04:45 - 05:40 - Reinforce every distraction with a treat

05:40 - 06:32 - Proofing

06:32 - 08:36 - Watch a pup learn this activity -

A) Throw a treat away from the dog (not too close to the dog but not too far away for you to go and pick up) and click and reinforce the Stay at the moment you throw the treat away

B) Release the dog through the activity

C) Click the dog & reward for the dog stay whilst you pick up the treat you threw

D) Sit means Sit until I tell you to get up

E) Remember no punishment if they do the wrong thing that includes no Verbal punishment or bad body language that tells the dog you're upset

08:36 - 14:03 - Up the Ante

A) Bigger pieces of food being thrown i.e entire hot dogs

B) You can click 2 or 3 individual times are you have thrown the hot dog to reinforce the dog for staying, each click must be paired with a treat

C) Throw treat closer to the dog

D) Release Dog throughout activity

E) Dog stays put because you click it quickly without giving the dog the opportunity to think about breaking the stay

F) Up the ante again - throw our more and more large food items

G) When you walk away from the dog to pick up a treat remember to click and treat them on your return

H) Start throwing food on the other side of the dog

I) If the dog breaks the stay DO NOT let them get the treats you have been throwing around them / have them on a leash if needbe

J) Up the Ante - throw all the hot dogs / treats at the same time

K) Repeat Step J) but do it closer to the dog

L) Throw all the treats behind the dog

M) Throwing without the initial click (click a couple of seconds late)

N) Click the dog for looking at you

stormie   

I'm looking forward to this challenge. I'm going to try VERY hard to actually do this one right and not try to rush to the end.

*note to self - buy more Phenergan*

sas   
I'm looking forward to this challenge. I'm going to try VERY hard to actually do this one right and not try to rush to the end.

*note to self - buy more Phenergan*

:(

sas   

Ok, so whose doing the Stay challenge?

I'm going to love see the kinds of distractions you come up with to win this! I'm going to run Dante over with a Monster Truck to see if he stays!