Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

SwaY   

I'm guessing the fawn one with it's head down? Why the heck would you de-sex so early....4 months jeepers!!! We even waited 12 months with our boxer, he's tiny anyway though lol

I think 12 months seems to be a good time

Nope - The top picture the early desexed one is the fawn one to the far left and in the bottom picture, the fawn to the far right. His name is Tiny, these pictures were taken out our puppy reunion.

Top picture all the same litter, bottom picture mixture of litters.

They desexed early due to pressure from the vet - I always say a vet knows dogs, they do not know Great Danes and certainly do not know mine.

Some vets have many GD clients and they are a god send, but the average vet does not.

Also, the BIG blue one in the middle is gorgeous!!! Big fat ol' head :heart:

That is Stone, was around 15months then I think

27150_10200465253490685_677500044_n.jpg

SwaY   

Also, what are your thoughts on the gastropexy surgery - for or against?

For - buys you some time, will stop the torsion that kills but not the bloat.

Still need to go to a vet but makes it easier.

get an experience vet who has done many to do it, they should be done with dog on it's side not when on it's back.

That's what I think too, some people seem to think it's unneccessary but if you're getting the dog de-sexed you might as well kill 2 birds!

Agreed.

I'm guessing the fawn one with it's head down? Why the heck would you de-sex so early....4 months jeepers!!! We even waited 12 months with our boxer, he's tiny anyway though lol

I think 12 months seems to be a good time

Nope - The top picture the early desexed one is the fawn one to the far left and in the bottom picture, the fawn to the far right. His name is Tiny, these pictures were taken out our puppy reunion.

Top picture all the same litter, bottom picture mixture of litters.

They desexed early due to pressure from the vet - I always say a vet knows dogs, they do not know Great Danes and certainly do not know mine.

Some vets have many GD clients and they are a god send, but the average vet does not.

Also, the BIG blue one in the middle is gorgeous!!! Big fat ol' head :heart:

That is Stone, was around 15months then I think

27150_10200465253490685_677500044_n.jpg

I nearly just threw my computer bc I can't handle how cute he is LOL

dididog   

Ah such a lovely head and those floppy lips! Didi's jowels have recently come in out of nowhere and she is such a slobber mouth, especially when I'n eating something good. I dont mind the drool though because I get to smoosh those squishy floppy lips they're too cute!!!!

Ah such a lovely head and those floppy lips! Didi's jowels have recently come in out of nowhere and she is such a slobber mouth, especially when I'n eating something good. I dont mind the drool though because I get to smoosh those squishy floppy lips they're too cute!!!!

Hahaha I'm pretty partial to some squishy jowels too :rofl::rofl::rofl:

SwaY   

Clare and Scandal wearing onesises on a weekend away showing.

album_6854_1610.jpg

post-51355-0-47711000-1394945377_thumb.jpg

I got to babysit Ruby most of the weekend, she's such a babe!

And also got to meet baby Oak - I wanted to sqeeeeeeeze him!!

Edited by DaneLover233

I can finally get my dane puppy!! Just got approved for a home loan so will start looking for a house AND a puppy!!! So freaking excited I might cry!

SwaY   

I can finally get my dane puppy!! Just got approved for a home loan so will start looking for a house AND a puppy!!! So freaking excited I might cry!

Great news ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know right! Thanks Sway

Great news ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats! This may help you:

http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Docs/Love%20is%20a%20Great%20Dane.pdf there is a puppy buyers guide in there :)

Thanks so much but I have been a regular stalker of you guys for AGES!!!! I'm actually re-reading "Love is a great dane" right now, oops, I mean I'm "working" lol

sas   

It's updated regularly so make sure you have the most up to date version :)

It's updated regularly so make sure you have the most up to date version :)

Good point, I downloaded it a few months ago most recently so I'll check to see if there's anything new!

dididog   

Does anyone here live in cold areas and use coats on their danes (or other smooth short coat breeds) ? Melbourne can get pretty cold, wet and windy in winter and I'm thinking of getting her one for the colder days as she is kept outside when nobody is home and we go out and about a lot. Do you think she needs one? If so anybody know a good brands to look at? I want something adjustable or stretchy at least since she's only 5 and 1/2 months old and will probably outgrow one in a few weeks if it is a fixed size.

Danois   

I use a Chillydogs Chilly Sweater during the day in Winter and one from Meg (D&D Coats on FB) at night as it covers the thighs and has a high neck.

This is in Sydney. My rule of thumb is when the temp is going to be under 16 degrees.

I had a sample of these while they were making the Dane size and was quite impressed - https://www.d-fa.com/products-icebarker.html - not sure what the final sizing is like as mine was a prototype.

I also generally know when it is time to bring out the coat at night as I wake up with a Dane curled up in a ball against my back.

Edited by Danois