Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

dididog   

Well looks like Didi will spend most of winter rugged up as it goes below 16 degrees a lot (all the better to snuggle with though!) The Dfa one looks super toasty and would be good for keeping her warm outside and when we're out but its a bit exxy for something she might outgrow halfway through winter. Thanks for pointing me towards them though, they look great and once she's done growing I'll be more than glad to get her one (plus she looks awesome in red) The D&D coats are super cute so I might buy her one of those for night time as my room is really cold at night(less hair on my bed too). Anyone got know of a nice durable slightly water proof coat that isn't suuuuper exxy and has a bit of adjustability? Are the weatherbeeta coats good?

Edited by Terri S.

Well looks like Didi will spend most of winter rugged up as it goes below 16 degrees a lot (all the better to snuggle with though!) The Dfa one looks super toasty and would be good for keeping her warm outside and when we're out but its a bit exxy for something she might outgrow halfway through winter. Thanks for pointing me towards them though, they look great and once she's done growing I'll be more than glad to get her one (plus she looks awesome in red) The D&D coats are super cute so I might buy her one of those for night time as my room is really cold at night(less hair on my bed too). Anyone got know of a nice durable slightly water proof coat that isn't suuuuper exxy and has a bit of adjustability? Are the weatherbeeta coats good?

Not sure if you have City Farmers pet stores but I got an awesome coat that Velcro attaches around the neck & tummy & it's quite long. It's waterproof & fleece lined

dididog   

Not sure if you have City Farmers pet stores but I got an awesome coat that Velcro attaches around the neck & tummy & it's quite long. It's waterproof & fleece lined

Yeah there's a couple around I think. Do you know what it was called/price?

It's just by Purina and it's called wag wear. I believe it was $45-50

dididog   

Alright thanks I might check it out if I have the chance (the nearest is kinda far away but I found a company for horses on ebay that also makes dog rugs and they look really well made and durable with room for adjustment (plus would look super cute on Didi hehe)

Alright thanks I might check it out if I have the chance (the nearest is kinda far away but I found a company for horses on ebay that also makes dog rugs and they look really well made and durable with room for adjustment (plus would look super cute on Didi hehe)

eBay is dangerous...I always shop too much Hahahahaha you'll have to post pics when she gets her coat!

Fingers crossed guys - hopefully I'll find out this weekend if my puppy is in existance!! The breeder has tried mating 2 of his dogs with 2 bitches so hopefully at least one of the two are pregnant :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not dane related but is it taboo to be speaking with 2 breeders at the same time about potential litters then opting to get a pup from whoever breeds first if the breeders are equally as good in your opinion?

A friend is looking at pups and that's his theory - I don't think it's an issue as no money is passing hands or anything like that, he's just expressing interest to both parties but I just wanted your opinions in case there IS a problem with that

SwaY   

From a breeders perspective it is annoying

Lets say you have 6 puppies in your head you hope to keep 2, that leaves 4 for puppy people.

You may have 4 people on your list to get a puppy and you turn away other suitable homes, only to find out XX pulls out as he has decided to go elsewhere.

The breeder then has to start looking for suitable homes all over again.

Tell him to be honest and tell both breeders.

And getting a pup from whoever breeders first, well I won't go there...

From a breeders perspective it is annoying

Lets say you have 6 puppies in your head you hope to keep 2, that leaves 4 for puppy people.

You may have 4 people on your list to get a puppy and you turn away other suitable homes, only to find out XX pulls out as he has decided to go elsewhere.

The breeder then has to start looking for suitable homes all over again.

Tell him to be honest and tell both breeders.

And getting a pup from whoever breeders first, well I won't go there...

Yeah I kinda thought that might be the case...my bad with the wording of that one, he honestly loves both breeders and would be extatic with a pup from either breeder but is super keen to get his hands on a puppy. I'll let him know what you've said, I'd hate for him to upset anyone unknowingly

I find out today or tomorrow if mumma dog is pregnant!!

So when puppy eventually comes home I want to take a week off work so I can settle him in as he will be outside with the boxer while we are at work. I am going to buy him a crate and hopefully get him used to that so he has a "safe spot" while we aren't home.

What is the best way to get him used to being outside with the boxer? All I can think of is go out for short periods (or even just hide in the house and spy on them at first) and extend the time I'm gone for??

He will be outside for approx 7 hours - gosh that sounds horrible :( I wish I was a stay at home mum :rofl::rofl:

It's been soooooooooo long since we had a puppy, I want to do everything right.

Another thought is, would it be best to keep him inside for a couple of weeks with the other dogs (they have their own room that is carpet free)??

SwaY   

I would not be leaving him unattended with any dog whilst you are away.

Puppies get in other dogs faces not all understand back off, what happens if another dog tells him off - just a little to much and hurts him?

I would not be leaving him unattended with any dog whilst you are away.

Puppies get in other dogs faces not all understand back off, what happens if another dog tells him off - just a little to much and hurts him?

Hmm valid point. I'm 99.9% sure the boxer would be fine but that .1% of doubt isn't worth the risk.

How long do you think it would be until I could leave him outside?

SwaY   

Can you section off a safe outside area where he can see the other dogs but not be with them?

There is also the risk of the other dogs bowling him over etc.