Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

I did think of that Sway but I'd be worried they'd try to get to each other and one or both would end up hurt. My boy loves to play and plays gently with our chihuahua so I know they'll be fine once puppy gets a little bigger. I can try and see if good ol' dad can construct something sturdy and safe that isn't going to cost a squillion dollars!

SwaY   

You should also ask your breeder, they should have info for you.

You should also ask your breeder, they should have info for you.

Yeah I will do, I just value peoples opinions on here :-)

Sway has given you some great advice.

Can you spill whom your interested in getting a dane pup from Danelover?

i can't wait to have another dane in my life again.

I don't want to jinx it haha. All will be revealed when mumma dog is pregnant!!!

There's so many breeders out there who's dogs we love, we're just waiting for our baby to be born - when it happens it happens (can't rush perfection :rofl: :rofl: )

Edited by DaneLover233

Jocus   

Hi all,

Newbie here - have been stalking this thread for a little while now and have found it so useful. I'm preparing for my first Dane baby who will be coming to live with me in 2 weeks. Very excited!

Tatelina   

I should also add early desexing could play a part.

Early desexing may make them spindlier in older age?

Edit: Nevermind! I looked at the next post! Doh!

Edited by Tatelina

Tatelina   

I'm guessing the fawn one with it's head down? Why the heck would you de-sex so early....4 months jeepers!!! We even waited 12 months with our boxer, he's tiny anyway though lol

I think 12 months seems to be a good time

Nope - The top picture the early desexed one is the fawn one to the far left and in the bottom picture, the fawn to the far right. His name is Tiny, these pictures were taken out our puppy reunion.

Top picture all the same litter, bottom picture mixture of litters.

They desexed early due to pressure from the vet - I always say a vet knows dogs, they do not know Great Danes and certainly do not know mine.

Some vets have many GD clients and they are a god send, but the average vet does not.

That is Stone, was around 15months then I think

Oonph!! That is a good looking dog!! :)

HAHA! I totally guessed wrong in both of those pics and I can't see what you can see when you can pick that they're not as developed as the others...may as well be looking at a manual in Chinese characters!! :laugh: And that is why... I am not a breeder!

Tatelina   

Hi all,

Newbie here - have been stalking this thread for a little while now and have found it so useful. I'm preparing for my first Dane baby who will be coming to live with me in 2 weeks. Very excited!

YAAAY!! Piccies are a must!!! (Please!)

Jocus   

I will definitely post some pictures - I wonder if my phone will even have enough memory to hold all of the piccies I will probably take lol

Hi all,

Ohhhh how exciting! Can't wait to see pics! Are you getting a boy or girl and which colour?

Jocus   

I'm getting a little fawn boy - counting down the days! I was the same as you - as soon as we got approved for our home loan, I started researching for my first baby. We had to make sure the house was set up ok for a new baby :)

Hi guys!

Newbie here and to Danes. I'm doing my research now and just wanting some opinions/advice on your experiences when bringing them in as a second dog? I have a Cavalier at the moment and I've read that they can be compatable with just about any other pup. Is this the case?

Cheers!

raineth   

Hi guys!

Newbie here and to Danes. I'm doing my research now and just wanting some opinions/advice on your experiences when bringing them in as a second dog? I have a Cavalier at the moment and I've read that they can be compatable with just about any other pup. Is this the case?

Cheers!

Hi there :wave:

what do you mean by compatible exactly?

I think if you have a dog that is much, much smaller like a Cav, you would probably need to separate them when you're not there. So when you go to work you might have to leave them separated, because the size difference can mean that your little dog can get really hurt just by accident.

I know my two occasionally sit on each other and tread on each other, and push the other out of the way, it's not a big deal because they are both the same size so no one gets hurt. Although admittedly there has been a lot less of this since we moved to a bigger house with less tight spaces!

Other than that, I suspect you would have to put some more effort into teaching your Dane to play gently with the Cav from a young age, and be respectful of the Cav's space etc. Maybe also have a strict protocol around what happens when there is a knock at the door (because this is the sort of thing that often causes both dogs to be excited in a smaller space, and thus your little one might be more at risk of being trodden on).

Edited by raineth

raineth   

Pretty exciting that there's going to be some new Danes in the thread!

I look forward to hearing about all the new pups and the fun and games everyone will be having with them :thumbsup:

I'm getting a little fawn boy - counting down the days! I was the same as you - as soon as we got approved for our home loan, I started researching for my first baby. We had to make sure the house was set up ok for a new baby :)

Awww how cute, I rarely see fawns in Qld, blue and merle seem to be the most common. Does he have a name yet?

I look forward to hearing about all the new pups and the fun and games everyone will be having with them :thumbsup:

Me too...and hopefully if mine ever gets born I can add to the cuteness!

Tatelina   

So I puppy-sat a little 4month old Mini Poodle cross on the weekend... and I realised that I had completely forgotten how much work puppies are! Eeek! 4 days with a non-toilet trained puppy in a carpeted apartment was plenty! I kept reminding myself that I was lucky it wasn't a Great Dane though..cause the pee puddles would have been much bigger! Although I'm sure if it was a Great Dane, I would have been more excited.....little fluff-balls just aren't my thing.

There is definitely something in getting an older dog from a breeder that already has the basics of training! ;)

raineth   

Me too...and hopefully if mine ever gets born I can add to the cuteness!

Yes :) keep us updated!

So I puppy-sat a little 4month old Mini Poodle cross on the weekend... and I realised that I had completely forgotten how much work puppies are! Eeek! 4 days with a non-toilet trained puppy in a carpeted apartment was plenty! I kept reminding myself that I was lucky it wasn't a Great Dane though..cause the pee puddles would have been much bigger! Although I'm sure if it was a Great Dane, I would have been more excited.....little fluff-balls just aren't my thing.

There is definitely something in getting an older dog from a breeder that already has the basics of training! ;)

Yeah it's so easy to forget! Although I think you had it tough, from what I've heard many of the toy breeds are much difficult to house train than bigger breeds. Not sure why though.

I was quite lucky with my Dane, he only had a couple of wee accidents in the house :) but toilet training aside, puppies are still a lot of work!

My brother always boasts that his Weim never had a single accident inside (even as a puppy) he did eat through a door twice though :laugh:

Jocus   

My baby's name is Rajah and he arrives on Saturday - I think Friday night will be sleepless from the excitement!

I have seen barely any Danes in Adelaide but the ones I have seen are fawn or black.

Did you find out if the mating was successful Danelover?

Definitely sounds like you had your hands full Tatelina!

Hope everyone had a lovely Easter weekend :)