Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

Well, no puppy for us ???? so devastated. I know we'll get one eventually but it's still upsetting when after wanting one almost my whole life then finally being in a position to get one, it's not happening. Boohoo

Each pup I've had I've waited 3 years for each one through 1-2 missed pregnancies. I always think the right dog will come along at the right time.

I'm with you on that Sas! I just enjoy wallowing in self pity haha total first world problems!! I'm just sick of being the weird girl that goes to all these GD events yet I don't have one hahaha.

sas   

Well, no puppy for us ???? so devastated. I know we'll get one eventually but it's still upsetting when after wanting one almost my whole life then finally being in a position to get one, it's not happening. Boohoo

Each pup I've had I've waited 3 years for each one through 1-2 missed pregnancies. I always think the right dog will come along at the right time.

I'm with you on that Sas! I just enjoy wallowing in self pity haha total first world problems!! I'm just sick of being the weird girl that goes to all these GD events yet I don't have one hahaha.

What coloured dog are you looking for?

Well, no puppy for us so devastated. I know we'll get one eventually but it's still upsetting when after wanting one almost my whole life then finally being in a position to get one, it's not happening. Boohoo

We honestly love them all - although in saying that do not want a merle or fawn. Preferred colours are blue, harlie and brindle.

Tatelina   

Oh and we only want a pet, not interested in showing :)

If you're willing to get a dog from interstate and are a little flexible on colours, I'm surprised that there isn't a suitable pup for you somewhere in Australia right now (although I know zero about breeding so maybe there are official times per year when more dogs are giving birth? :confused: ) I thought the way a lot of decent registered breeders go is keep atleast 1 dog out of a little for showing purposes, but sometimes that doesn't work out (if the dog out grows the height standard or what-not) and then will need to be rehomed to a pet home. Or do these 'decent registered breeders' have such a long waiting list that those types of dogs are snapped up quickly anyway?

Oh and we only want a pet, not interested in showing :)

If you're willing to get a dog from interstate and are a little flexible on colours, I'm surprised that there isn't a suitable pup for you somewhere in Australia right now (although I know zero about breeding so maybe there are official times per year when more dogs are giving birth? :confused: ) I thought the way a lot of decent registered breeders go is keep atleast 1 dog out of a little for showing purposes, but sometimes that doesn't work out (if the dog out grows the height standard or what-not) and then will need to be rehomed to a pet home. Or do these 'decent registered breeders' have such a long waiting list that those types of dogs are snapped up quickly anyway?

It seems like there are quite a few but a lot are female and we definitely want a boy. I guess I just don't know enough about the interstate people so it's just going to take a while to do some research. Can't jump into these things as much as i'd like to rush haha

sas   

Well, no puppy for us �� so devastated. I know we'll get one eventually but it's still upsetting when after wanting one almost my whole life then finally being in a position to get one, it's not happening. Boohoo

We honestly love them all - although in saying that do not want a merle or fawn. Preferred colours are blue, harlie and brindle.

mmmm you have to be difficult don't you hehehehe

Brindles aren't very common these days but you'd see a Fawn breeder about them, I can recommend you a Fawn QLD one that has a bitch pregnant at the moment who has one of the top winning dogs in the country and is an ethical and responsible breeder. http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=JOOLS

Blue, I would recommend Kerry McKinnon from Swayd (whose on this thread) and if she doesn't have anything planned she can refer you onto another Blue Breeder. http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=SWAY

Harle and Merle would come from the same breeder and there's your mine field, so many iffy breeders of these colours so you really have to step carefully, have you seen the puppy buyers guide? http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Docs/buying_a_puppy.pdf

Edited by sas

sas   

double post.

Edited by sas

Well, no puppy for us �� so devastated. I know we'll get one eventually but it's still upsetting when after wanting one almost my whole life then finally being in a position to get one, it's not happening. Boohoo

mmmm you have to be difficult don't you hehehehe

Brindles aren't very common these days but you'd see a Fawn breeder about them, I can recommend you a Fawn QLD one that has a bitch pregnant at the moment who has one of the top winning dogs in the country and is an ethical and responsible breeder. http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=JOOLS

Blue, I would recommend Kerry McKinnon from Swayd (whose on this thread) and if she doesn't have anything planned she can refer you onto another Blue Breeder. http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=SWAY

Harle and Merle would come from the same breeder and there's your mine field, so many iffy breeders of these colours so you really have to step carefully, have you seen the puppy buyers guide? http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Docs/buying_a_puppy.pdf

HAHAHA sorry!! Thanks for all the recommendations, I will google my butt off over the weekend!

raineth   

Digby has been a bit unwell lately and tomorrow he is going in for some chest x-rays and a FNA done on a lump that has come up on his groin in the last couple of days.

So I want everyone to wish him good luck.

Gosh don't you just feel awful when they are so excited to get in the car, and then you turn up at the vet, and they're like "oh" :(

Jocus   

Good luck Rigby! Crossing everything all goes ok :)

Danois   

Oh poor Digby :(. Here's looking forward to hearing good news.

He's one of our special boys so you know we are there with you.

dididog   

Best wishes for you and Digby :) I have a bit of a soft spot for him because he reminds me so much of my girl.

Hoping for a good outcome for you two :crossfingers:

Digby has been a bit unwell lately and tomorrow he is going in for some chest x-rays and a FNA done on a lump that has come up on his groin in the last couple of days.

Gosh don't you just feel awful when they are so excited to get in the car, and then you turn up at the vet, and they're like "oh" :(

How is Digby doing?

stormie   

Everyone meet Baxter - I pick him up next saturday, he is 7 weeks in these photos

Congratulations on your puppy :)

Just a little word of advice from a lurker if that's ok, but please please make sure your puppy gets a proper vaccination from a Vet. There's no such thing as homeopathic vaccination and I'm not sure what 'natural vaccination' is. But the only way a puppy or a dog can develop antibodies and subsequent immunity to a virus like parvo is either by vaccination or by encountering the virus within the body, ie getting parvo, and if they survive, then have immunity. It's just not worth the risk doing it 'naturally'. :)

Everyone meet Baxter - I pick him up next saturday, he is 7 weeks in these photos

Congratulations on your puppy :)

Just a little word of advice from a lurker if that's ok, but please please make sure your puppy gets a proper vaccination from a Vet. There's no such thing as homeopathic vaccination and I'm not sure what 'natural vaccination' is. But the only way a puppy or a dog can develop antibodies and subsequent immunity to a virus like parvo is either by vaccination or by encountering the virus within the body, ie getting parvo, and if they survive, then have immunity. It's just not worth the risk doing it 'naturally'. :)

Haha thanks, random warning there :) All my dogs are always vaccinated by my vet of 10 years, thank you for the advice though :thumbsup:

I am keeping fingers crossed for Digby and good news. Lot's of hugs.

And, hellllooooooo Baxter :)

raineth   

Welcome to the thread Baxter :)

Thanks everyone :) does help to know there are people here who care :)

He's been dropped off and I will just distract myself with uni while I wait to hear from them sometime today.