Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

dogslife   

Oh Raineth,

I am so sorry. Digby has been a favourite of mine since I met him all those years ago at Kaz's. I adored him them, and still do.

I love looking at his photos. I would have taken him home in a heartbeat if I could have then.

If you need to chat or ideas, Ella has had Lymphoma since Feb 2013 and it turned to bone cancer a few weeks ago.

Please give him a cuddle from me. Hugs.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that it has turned to bone cancer dogs :( these dogs break your heart don't they?

Can I ask if you went with Chemo?

Yep we did. I would do it again.

She was great on chemo and she got 14 brilliant months and she thrived on the chemo.

No nausea or weight loss.

Cost was the only issue.

Jocus   

I am so sorry to hear the news about Digby. I wish I could do more for you than just that but you and Digby are in my thoughts.

raineth   

Oh Raineth,

I am so sorry. Digby has been a favourite of mine since I met him all those years ago at Kaz's. I adored him them, and still do.

I love looking at his photos. I would have taken him home in a heartbeat if I could have then.

If you need to chat or ideas, Ella has had Lymphoma since Feb 2013 and it turned to bone cancer a few weeks ago.

Please give him a cuddle from me. Hugs.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that it has turned to bone cancer dogs :( these dogs break your heart don't they?

Can I ask if you went with Chemo?

Yep we did. I would do it again.

She was great on chemo and she got 14 brilliant months and she thrived on the chemo.

No nausea or weight loss.

Cost was the only issue.

Thanks for the info dogs, it's good to hear she did so well and got another 14 months :)

Is she in palliative care stage of treatment now that it's in her bones, or can you do more chemo? Sorry, only answer these questions if you're up to it. You must be going through such a hard time too.

I think Digby is too far gone for chemo. Because his main tumour is in his chest we couldn't see it. We only noticed something was wrong when he began coughing. The coughing is because the tumour is so big it's pushing his heart.

It's so hard to know what to do sometimes.

The vet told me he may only have a week to two months. I am too worried he would die during chemo and I wouldn't have had a chance to do all the things he loves.

raineth   

Oh and thanks everyone, I've given him cuddles and ear rubs from all of you :)

raineth   

Hehe, I took my camera with us yesterday when we went to get him ice cream, but he ate the whole ice cream in two bites, one for the scoop and one for the cone! He really loved it :D

It's good timing as I only got my camera back last weekend so I can go and get stuck in with taking photos :)

sas   

Hehe, I took my camera with us yesterday when we went to get him ice cream, but he ate the whole ice cream in two bites, one for the scoop and one for the cone! He really loved it :D

It's good timing as I only got my camera back last weekend so I can go and get stuck in with taking photos :)

Can't wait to see the photos! Wish I were closer to come and do some things on his list with him.

Haha Mr Piggy!!! Would definitely love to see some photos and maybe if you want you could share some stories :)

Raineth - so sorry. Hugs to you all and loving ear rubs for Digby.

When Flash was diagnosed with a brain tumour, we only had a couple of days with her, so I am glad you will have some chance of spoiling Digby. Make it the best time and make happy memories.

raineth   

Flashsmum, that must have been so hard :(

DaneLover, maybe just put a photo of Baxter in there? I don't know how to do a fancy avatar.

This morning we were at the Botanic gardens and Digby tricked me. He wanted a drink from the pond, so I let him, and then he jumped in and had a paddle! It is the same pond that he accidentally fell in a few years ago when it was covered in water weed.

His expression here cracks me up.

export1of4.jpg

and another :)

export2of4.jpg

Such a handsome boy!! Does he have a friendship bracelet on? So cute!

I'm so sorry to hear the news of Digby's health Raineth - he's one of my favourite DOL dogs. Please give him an ear rub and a smooch for me xx

Hugs to you and your family too.

raineth   

Yes ZB the girl child and her friend made it for him :) Bit of a lucky charm.

D & D   

I am writing a list of all the things we have to do together, all the things he loves doing.

I think I might go back to feeding raw for a while as he loved that, I only stopped because I found he got so fat on it.

First on the list though is going out for an icecream, he'll just love that.

So sorry to hear the diagnosis :cry:

I do love the idea of your list! If it wouldn't melt, I'd send Digby an ice cream a day :heart:

Danois   

Ok so I got a little teary at those photos.

Look at our handsome boy posing for the camera - to think he used to cower from the very sight of it.

dididog   

Hey guys I have a bit of a question about calcium-phosphorus ratios. After some recommendation from DOL I had been feeding Didi Canidae All Life Stages for the last few months (she is 7 months now) and she had been doing very well on it. She has though in the last month or so started to get very itchy, to the point her coat was getting a bit patchy and I had suspected perhaps a grain allergy. So when we went to buy her food last weekend and they had run out of her food but had Canidae's grain free variety (pure sky) we decided to try it out. She's been on it a week now and there's been a HUGE change to her itching and her poos are much much nicer. I completely forgot to check the ratio on the new food and I just did and it is 1:8:1 and I'm aware it should be more like 1:2:1 or 1:3:1 so obviously I'm a bit worried about that.

So question is I'd really like to keep going with this food as she's improved so much in a short time but I'd like to know if there's something I can add to her diet to make up for the imbalance?

On All Life Stages we'd made a gradual transition from puppy amounts (5-6 cups spread over 3 meals) to 4 and a bit cups spread over two meals. This new food is a bit richer so she gets a bit less than 4 cups a day. She also normally has a bone a day for lunch. Generally lamb's neck or various legs bones which don't have that much meat on them, or a chicken carcass, she doesn't do well on beef protein.

I knew there was something important I was supposed to double check on the back of the bag but the calc:phos ratio skipped my mind!!

Edited by Terri S.

Awww look how happy he is! His coat is so shiny too :-) I love the friendship bracelet, when I was little apparently I used to make them for all our dogs haha

raineth   

Sorry Terri, I am really not sure of the answer. I've only raised one Dane puppy, and I just stuck with the food the breeder recommended. I'm sure other's hear who understand it better will chime in :)

raineth   

ok guys... I just want to put this out there....

Without the Dane thread, and the people in it (you know who you are :)) I never would have even ended up with Digby. I am so grateful that you guys hooked us up; it’s been the best of match-making :)

Then all of you have shared with me, and helped me with any questions I’ve had, and whenever I’ve needed help, or just someone to share a doggie story with.

I know many of you knew and loved Digby before I had even seen him. So I suppose I want to explain to you all why have made the decision to go with palliative care, as maybe some of you are sad that we have gone with that decision, or maybe not, I don’t know as I’m not a mind-reader 

Firstly, I just want to say that I really don’t think there is a right or wrong decision in this situation. We can only do what we think is best for him, based on what I know about Digby and what I know about his illness. I have spent a lot of time talking to vets, as has Mr raineth. We have also spent time listening and reading other dog owner’s stories of their experiences with Lymphoma, Chemo and palliative care.

The goal with Chemo is to have more time. It’s not going to cure him, it’s about more time. And I recognise that with more time, comes the possibility of more adventures.

The goal of palliative care is quality of life. Quality of life is what I have always strived for, and probably what everyone here strives for every day. Its why we get up when it’s still dark to walk our dogs, and why we go out even when it’s raining, and why we spend all that money on toys and food and all the other stuff. And it’s what I want to keep striving for. We are lucky in that he is pretty well, I want to make the most of this time, I don’t know how long it’s going to last. I want my energy to go into making him happy, having adventures, spoiling him rotten. I feel that chemo would interfere with these goals. Digby doesn’t like being at the vet. He is stoic, as he always is, but he is miserable there. Every session of chemo would be time that I could have used taking him to the park, letting him swim, or go for a bush walk. I also think that I would be very stressed out with him on chemo. I know this is not about me, but I know myself, and if I am very stressed-out I am not going to be doing such a good job of making the most of the time we have together.

I think Digby only cares for what he feels like right now, he doesn’t understand the promise of a longer future, or more adventures tomorrow. I want to make his “now” as good as possible.

There is no way for me to ever really know if this is the best decision I can make. But knowing what I know about Digby, and what I know about the stage his disease is at, this is the decision that feels right to me and my family. This is also in no way a judgement on the decisions others have made for their dogs. We all do what we think is right, and feels right for our dogs and the unique situations they are in. I can completely understand if others think this is a poor decision, but I hope this post at least allows you to understand why we’ve made the decision for palliative care