Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

Oh raineth you don't need to explain yourself, you know that we all stand by any decision you made for diggers and his quality of life.

we love him and you of course like our own. i hope you get many many months if not a few more years left with him yet, he's found his happy loving home and he needs to stay there as long as he can. HUGZ

Now I'm usually a harl/mantle girl.....but i don't care what colour Dane i have next as long as the temperament is 100% In saying that I've fallen head over heals with a fawn boy in America whom is 14mths old..... God damn i wish i could hop on a plane and bring him over lol

I can't wait to have another dane in my life again sometime this year or next....

Danois   

Nope definitely no need to explain or justify why you have chosen that route Raineth. You know your boy the best and what is right for him and his family and I know you want more than anything to keep him longer but it is quality over quantity. I think chemo is a pretty hard ask - for dog and owner.

D & D   

You should never feel the need to justify yourself Raineth. You always have done and always will do whatever is in Digby's best interests :heart:

Party on Digby. Eat ice cream :eat: , drink.....water :cheers: and dance like no one is watching :dancingelephant: . We'll all be cheering you on from afar :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

korbin13   

Raineth, I am currently in the same position as you with my 4 yo mastiff x, Bella. She has had two tplo surgeries in the last eight months. Last week she went for 10 week x ray check up they noticed her lymph nodes up. She was diagnosed with lymphoma. :cry:

After much discussion with the vet and a phone consult with an oncologist, we decided to go down the palliative care route.

People think we are mad, as we have just spent a heap of money on the TPLO surgeries, they ask why wouldn't we go with the chemo? Like you, for us, it is about quality not quantity, the exact same reason we went with the TPLO surgeries.

I have since organised her remains to be cremated and our vet is willing to meet us at the end of her favourite walking trail when the time comes.

Now we can concentrate on working through her bucket list :D At the moment, our walks and activities are done through teary eyes on my part, I'm determined to make her time left as good as I can.

Anyway, good luck on your journey with Digby, they really do steal our hearts, don't they?

Sorry to intrude on the GD thread, I have a friend thinking of getting one in a year or two.

dogslife   

Raineth you have no need to explain. There is no right or wrong decision.... with cancer every dog is different.

We are now going the palliative care route with our darling Ella as her cancer has now become bone cancer after she survived lymphoma.

In my case, Ella loved her vet visits and she was never stressed there. I would not have done chemo for the lymphoma if she hated her visits there. Her bone cancer has changed our choices.

We know you and your family absolutely love the delightful Digby...as do many of us.

Enjoy your time with him.

Please give him a hug and kiss from me.

Raineth - you don't need to justify anything. We all travel our own journey and do what we feel is right, and there is no wrong with that.

Also, it was hard with Flash, but in a way, because it was so fast, we didn't have to wonder how she was and when we should decide her fate - she decided it herself :cry:

Korbin13 - that goes for you as well.

Edited by Flashsmum

Raineth I think you're so brave. I don't know what I'd do faced with your situation. I think it's fantastic your putting Digbys happiness first, like you said, he doesn't understand that treatment keeps him here longer. At least when he does cross rainbow bridge, you can know with every fibre of your being that he went happy and loved.

sas   

Hey guys I have a bit of a question about calcium-phosphorus ratios. After some recommendation from DOL I had been feeding Didi Canidae All Life Stages for the last few months (she is 7 months now) and she had been doing very well on it. She has though in the last month or so started to get very itchy, to the point her coat was getting a bit patchy and I had suspected perhaps a grain allergy. So when we went to buy her food last weekend and they had run out of her food but had Canidae's grain free variety (pure sky) we decided to try it out. She's been on it a week now and there's been a HUGE change to her itching and her poos are much much nicer. I completely forgot to check the ratio on the new food and I just did and it is 1:8:1 and I'm aware it should be more like 1:2:1 or 1:3:1 so obviously I'm a bit worried about that.

So question is I'd really like to keep going with this food as she's improved so much in a short time but I'd like to know if there's something I can add to her diet to make up for the imbalance?

On All Life Stages we'd made a gradual transition from puppy amounts (5-6 cups spread over 3 meals) to 4 and a bit cups spread over two meals. This new food is a bit richer so she gets a bit less than 4 cups a day. She also normally has a bone a day for lunch. Generally lamb's neck or various legs bones which don't have that much meat on them, or a chicken carcass, she doesn't do well on beef protein.

I knew there was something important I was supposed to double check on the back of the bag but the calc:phos ratio skipped my mind!!

Canidae All Life Stages is one of the kibbles out there with some of the best ingredients so it's unfortunate your dog developed an intolerance to what seems to be the grain portion....that's an expensive intolerance for a Dane huh!

Pure Sky is great but yes the phos:calc ratios are out. You have until 10 months of age until the critical growth period finishes. Have you had a chat to your Breeder about it at all?

If it were me I'd perservere with the Canidae All Life Stages for another 3 months and then switch or just switch her to a different kibble in general i.e. Blackhawk Fish & Potato / Pro Plan Sensative and see if that might be ok, like Canidae All Life Stages it's limited grain from memory. It may not be the grain but simply an intolerance to a different ingredient in there.

sas   

Raineth, no need to explain luv, we're here supporting you.

Your list is the most inspiration thing I've heard and I think you are your family are just awesome and I tear up knowing Digby is going to have to most awesome last period of his life!

dididog   

Hey guys I have a bit of a question about calcium-phosphorus ratios. After some recommendation from DOL I had been feeding Didi Canidae All Life Stages for the last few months (she is 7 months now) and she had been doing very well on it. She has though in the last month or so started to get very itchy, to the point her coat was getting a bit patchy and I had suspected perhaps a grain allergy. So when we went to buy her food last weekend and they had run out of her food but had Canidae's grain free variety (pure sky) we decided to try it out. She's been on it a week now and there's been a HUGE change to her itching and her poos are much much nicer. I completely forgot to check the ratio on the new food and I just did and it is 1:8:1 and I'm aware it should be more like 1:2:1 or 1:3:1 so obviously I'm a bit worried about that.

So question is I'd really like to keep going with this food as she's improved so much in a short time but I'd like to know if there's something I can add to her diet to make up for the imbalance?

On All Life Stages we'd made a gradual transition from puppy amounts (5-6 cups spread over 3 meals) to 4 and a bit cups spread over two meals. This new food is a bit richer so she gets a bit less than 4 cups a day. She also normally has a bone a day for lunch. Generally lamb's neck or various legs bones which don't have that much meat on them, or a chicken carcass, she doesn't do well on beef protein.

I knew there was something important I was supposed to double check on the back of the bag but the calc:phos ratio skipped my mind!!

Canidae All Life Stages is one of the kibbles out there with some of the best ingredients so it's unfortunate your dog developed an intolerance to what seems to be the grain portion....that's an expensive intolerance for a Dane huh!

Pure Sky is great but yes the phos:calc ratios are out. You have until 10 months of age until the critical growth period finishes. Have you had a chat to your Breeder about it at all?

If it were me I'd perservere with the Canidae All Life Stages for another 3 months and then switch or just switch her to a different kibble in general i.e. Blackhawk Fish & Potato / Pro Plan Sensative and see if that might be ok, like Canidae All Life Stages it's limited grain from memory. It may not be the grain but simply an intolerance to a different ingredient in there.

Thanks sas, I think the Pure Sky will stay good for a few months so I might just buy a smaller bag of Life Stages but she really is itching so much less now. She's only part Dane, I got her from a rescue group but her mum has really bad allergies requiring steroids to keep it under control as otherwise she was ripping her paw pads apart. I'm not sure if it's necessarily grain or just something in the other food but this one has really helped. Is there anything I could add to her diet to balance it out or would my safest option be to stop feeding it till she's 10 months old?

sas   

Thanks sas, I think the Pure Sky will stay good for a few months so I might just buy a smaller bag of Life Stages but she really is itching so much less now. She's only part Dane, I got her from a rescue group but her mum has really bad allergies requiring steroids to keep it under control as otherwise she was ripping her paw pads apart. I'm not sure if it's necessarily grain or just something in the other food but this one has really helped. Is there anything I could add to her diet to balance it out or would my safest option be to stop feeding it till she's 10 months old?

It may not be the food, you may have just timed your food change with the change of season, so it'll be a wait and see thing.

No, sorry I couldn't offer advice how how to balance a kibble with non-recommended ratios.

Edited by sas

dididog   

It may not be the food, you may have just timed your food change with the change of season, so it'll be a wait and see thing.

No, sorry I couldn't offer advice how how to balance a kibble with non-recommended ratios.

Thanks I didn't consider the change of season but that is a vey valid possibility. I'll go buy some more life stages to tide us over until she can go back to pure sky.

We had Whitney on an elimination diet for itchiness last year, and did a Nutriscan saliva test on her. Turned out it was totally environmental and she is now on Iramine. She still itches at certain times of the year, but nowhere near as badly.

Hopefully you can sort the itchies out.

sas   

I love the Nutriscan, no wasted time!

Yeah, I think the Nutriscan test was valuable in ruling out dietary issues, and put us on the right track much quicker than would have happened otherwise.

Thanks for that sas!

Raineth as others have said there is no need to explain your decision, you know Digby best and will do what is right for him as we would all do for our dogs. I hope you and your family are having lots of fun with Digby and he is enjoying every day too.

LisaCC   

Terri, I'm not sure if the ratios are right but have a look at Earthborn Holistic Grain Free varieties. They have a few different ones, with different ratios. Protein wise I think the Lamb has the lowest.

dididog   

Terri, I'm not sure if the ratios are right but have a look at Earthborn Holistic Grain Free varieties. They have a few different ones, with different ratios. Protein wise I think the Lamb has the lowest.

Thanks Lisa, I'll have a look, I made the switch quite spontaneously :/ Earthborn looks cheaper and more accessible for me too so I'll check the ratios out.