Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

We took Whitney to the vet this morning as she seemed really flat, was whimpering and shaking and looked like she was about to throw up. This came on pretty quickly, but she hadn't been anywhere to eat anything strange.

The vet couldn't find anything really wrong to cause her symptoms, but he did find a heart murmur. After a scan of her heart, he rang and said she has DCM. He is doing full bloods on her to make sure that there isn't anything else going on, but she will be on meds and we will see how she goes.

I am anxiously waiting on his call now re the bloods, and feel so helpless.

Hubby's picking Whitney up from the vet. Her blood results are perfect apart from being slightly dehydrated. She's going to be on meds and we have to report back to the vet in the morning.

Onwards and upwards, here's hoping the meds help her lots! Her heart function is about 10% down from what it should be, but no fluid on her lungs :)

raineth   

We'll it's good it has been caught early, and that there's no fluid on her lungs. I hope the medications work really well for her.

How are you doing? It must have been a shock for you :hug: you're sounding very determined at the moment :)

Thanks, I'm teary and determined that she will ok in turns.

I just spoke to the vet and he is happy with how she has been since she got home. Hubby fed her a chicken frame and she lay in the sun afterwards. She is still very quiet, but hopefully we will see a small change by morning.

I am trying not to burst into tears when I look at her, but I feel so sad she is not well.

Edited by Flashsmum

Whitney is back to her dopey self again :) :) Her meds seem to be working well and she had a couple of short walks on the weekend.

She is eating well and even throwing her toys around, which is lovely. We feel much better with her condition now as we can see that it won't be as debilitating as we feared.

Whitney had a check up on the weekend as we had to take her to the vet because she had a big lump on her head!

The lump turned out to be an infected cyst, so she had an AB injection. It burst yesterday and goobers (technical vet term, apparently) went everywhere :eek: By this morning it had dried up a bit, and hopefully will go away over the next week or so.

Her heart murmur is barely noticeable and her electrolytes were great! She is much better and has been going on walks and being her nutty self again. We're hoping that the meds keep working for her and she will around for a long while yet :thumbsup:

raineth   

Whitney is back to her dopey self again :) :) Her meds seem to be working well and she had a couple of short walks on the weekend.

She is eating well and even throwing her toys around, which is lovely. We feel much better with her condition now as we can see that it won't be as debilitating as we feared.

that is so good to hear :thumbsup:

Whitney had a check up on the weekend as we had to take her to the vet because she had a big lump on her head!

The lump turned out to be an infected cyst, so she had an AB injection. It burst yesterday and goobers (technical vet term, apparently) went everywhere :eek: By this morning it had dried up a bit, and hopefully will go away over the next week or so.

Her heart murmur is barely noticeable and her electrolytes were great! She is much better and has been going on walks and being her nutty self again. We're hoping that the meds keep working for her and she will around for a long while yet :thumbsup:

ewwwww! That's so gross!

Is it all healed now Flashsmum?

I am really pleased that the meds are working well for Whitney and I hope so much that they continue to work well :)

Thanks!

We went back to the vet yesterday and they took more fluid out of the lump because it was still there, although a lot smaller. They rang me at work and asked that we take her back there so that they can get the lump off as they weren't entirely happy with the slide. Hubby took her back there, they took the lumps off ( there was actually another under it) but were happy that there was no cancer evident in them (which was our concern).

She had it done under a local anaesthetic and when she got home, she was throwing toys around etc., so I think she felt fine until the local wore off, then she was a bit more subdued. She has 6 stitches in her head, and is fine today, apart from shaking her head a bit because, I think, it must be irritating her a little to have the stitches.

All good now, but, boy, has she been giving me stress lately :eek:

raineth   

Oh Yes! I can imagine!

I'm glad there was nothing cancerous in there. I wonder what happens to make them get a cyst?

I wondered myself.

I suppose it's like if we get a boil or cyst? It came up quite quickly and I thought maybe she got something in it on a walk, but the vet couldn't see anything.

Whitney really has been keeping you on a worry tightrope lately, I hope she is healing well and still throwing all her toys in the air to entertain you. Glad the heart meds are doing their job too.

She sure is worrying us! The stitches are healing well, and she is full of beans so meds seem to be doing well.

She seems quite happy and well, and is throwing toys around and being my shadow with her nose into everything!

Whitney had bloods checked yesterday, and all is still going well. All her levels were good and her weight is fine. Her heart is not perfect, but she is doing well for an almost 9yo girl.

So happy with that news!

sas   

Gav has a cyst under his tail they think he was born with it, it was surgically removed and now it's come up again so we're using the Augustine Approved 'Heal' to rid it this time.