Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

Tatelina   

Wahhhhhhhhh

i so want another great dane puppy NOWWWWWW

Oh my goodness I can relate to these cravings.

Would be so good if I could puppysit a friend's puppy for a week or 2 because it would swiftly remind me of the work involved and likely subdued my puppy craving for a little bit! Hehe.

mummzy   

Its a long shot but really wanted to let the people know who surrended samson that he is doing amazingly an is very loved :). (hope they might see this somehow :) an know that the beautiful boy is safe an well : )

Edited by mummzy

zeketdot   

Hi guys,

So we are getting our first Great Dane puppy in a few weeks.

I've read all about them and I know they need specific food when pups (Protein/fat/calcium etc.)

Our breeder has said she's always fed her Great Danes Uncle albers, and that's what she's been feeding our puppy.

Has anyone had experience with this brand of dog food?

As it only states Protein and fat percentages and not the calcium etc?

http://www.lauckemills.com.au/dogfood2.html

Thanks.

sas   

Hi guys,

So we are getting our first Great Dane puppy in a few weeks.

I've read all about them and I know they need specific food when pups (Protein/fat/calcium etc.)

Our breeder has said she's always fed her Great Danes Uncle albers, and that's what she's been feeding our puppy.

Has anyone had experience with this brand of dog food?

As it only states Protein and fat percentages and not the calcium etc?

http://www.lauckemil...u/dogfood2.html

Thanks.

Hi, welcome and congrats on your new baby.

I'm familiar with Uncle Albers. When I was putting together the diet info pack I had to contact them as they didn't list the info. It has a 1.6:1 calc:phos ratio and the ratio you want to aim for is 1.2:1 - 1.3:1.

Here's the diet pack: http://www.greatdane...ing_a_puppy.pdf

If you're new to Danes, you may enjoy this: http://www.greatdane...reat%20Dane.pdf

Its ingredients are a bit how ya going with the first four all being low quality:

Cooked Meat or Meat By Products

Cooked Fish or Fish By Products

Cooked cereals and wheaten bran

Canola & Soybean Products

But hey, if you want to feed something different, have a look through the diet link I gave you and give some options to your breeder of what you'd like to feed and I'm sure they'd be supportive.

Also something you may find interesting: http://www.greatdane...ing_a_puppy.pdf

Are you on Facebook? Come and join the Dane Training & Health Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oz.dane.training.health/

Edited by sas

raineth   

Flashsmum, how naughty of you to sprinkle dirt on whitney's nose like that! It makes her look so guilty!

She looks beautiful by the way, I love those grey faces :)

How is she doing?

Gav has a cyst under his tail they think he was born with it, it was surgically removed and now it's come up again so we're using the Augustine Approved 'Heal' to rid it this time.

How is the Augustine Approved "Heal" going with the cyst?

sas   

I wasn't digging in the garden, Mum, reeeeaaaaallly I wasn't!

post-1382-0-26035500-1415606390_thumb.jpg

post-1382-0-11560000-1415606587_thumb.jpg

She's so beautiful.

sas   

Gav has a cyst under his tail they think he was born with it, it was surgically removed and now it's come up again so we're using the Augustine Approved 'Heal' to rid it this time.

How is the Augustine Approved "Heal" going with the cyst?

I stopped using it at the moment whilst he's just having a funny period with no eating etc.

Flashsmum, how naughty of you to sprinkle dirt on whitney's nose like that! It makes her look so guilty!

She looks beautiful by the way, I love those grey faces :)

How is she doing?

She is going well. Her anxiety seems to have increased a little, but the Thunder Shirt is great for calming her. She is well otherwise, only slowed down a little with the DCM, but apart from that, just as nutty and beautiful as ever.

Flashsmum I agree with raineth about sprinkling dirt on Whitneys nose either that or it was the dirt fairy.

That bad fairy trying t get my baby in trouble (she wasn't in trouble anyway, we just laughed at her).

I wasn't digging in the garden, Mum, reeeeaaaaallly I wasn't!

post-1382-0-26035500-1415606390_thumb.jpg

post-1382-0-11560000-1415606587_thumb.jpg

She's so beautiful.

We think so! We are so blessed to have her, she is a joy.

sas   

Leila's anxiety increased as she got older, I think it's just an old dog thing, they're not longer as in control of their body as they once were and that must be a bit worrying to them.

Thanks for that Sas, I didn't link her ageing with the anxiety as she's always been a bit that way.

I worry about her mental well being as I don't want her in a state of anxiety all the time. It's manageable with Thunder Shirt, so hopefully stays that way.

raineth   

I'm glad to hear things are going well with Whitney (other than the increase in anxiety).

Anxiety can be such a hard thing to combat, I'm glad the Thunder shirt is working well for her :)

Pheebs   

Some of you will have already seen this in the Health Subforum but wanted to share the news of our beautiful Lucy's passing to Osteosarcoma yesterday. I have a huge Great Dane-sized hole in my heart that will never heal.

Vandown Graffin von Lucy

04.06.2009 - 11.11.2014 :heart:

post-1327-0-09536800-1415763633_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pheebs

Some of you will have already seen this in the Health Subforum but wanted to share the news of our beautiful Lucy's passing to Osteosarcoma yesterday. I have a huge Great Dane-sized hole in my heart that will never heal.

Vandown Graffin von Lucy

04.07.2009 - 11.11.2014 :heart:

Vale Vandown Graffin von Lucy,

So loved.

Dear Pheebs sending more cyberhugs for you.

:cry:

:heart:

Vandown Graffin von Lucy

04.07.2009 - 11.11.2014 :heart:

Vale Vandown Graffin von Lucy,

So loved.

Dear Pheebs sending more cyberhugs for you.

:heart:

Danois   

I am so sorry Pheebs - I know it must have been very tough for you and yes, there will always be a place in your heart for Lucy. Lots of time for tears now but there will be a day in the future when you can think of her with more happiness (from the memories) than sadness.

As for Miss Lucy - she will have the company of our Dane thread angels that have passed before her with her at the Rainbow Bridge.

I am so sorry Pheebs - I know it must have been very tough for you and yes, there will always be a place in your heart for Lucy. Lots of time for tears now but there will be a day in the future when you can think of her with more happiness (from the memories) than sadness.

As for Miss Lucy - she will have the company of our Dane thread angels that have passed before her with her at the Rainbow Bridge.

So very many too.

:rainbowbridge: