Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

Last week Whitney had a mast cell tumour removed. We now have the results.

Unfortunately they did not remove all the cells as it had to be done under a local anaesthetic as they wouldn't give her a general because of her heart. The GOOD news is that it was a stage 1, which will take long time to progress to a stage where we have to deal with it.

She will turn 9 on 22/12, so the vet's prognosis is that the tumour will not progress sufficiently to warrant treatment, unless something changes in the wound, and fingers crossed she will be fine for the time we still have with her.

I feel for our poor girl, she has certainly had a tough time of it. I am also thankful that we are in a position of being able to afford her care and don't need to stress too much about the financial side of it. She's already on so many meds, I would hate to add to it.

Edited by Flashsmum

harley   

Last week Whitney had a mast cell tumour removed. We now have the results.

Unfortunately they did not remove all the cells as it had to be done under a local anaesthetic as they wouldn't give her a general because of her heart. The GOOD news is that it was a stage 1, which will take long time to progress to a stage where we have to deal with it.

She will turn 9 on 22/12, so the vet's prognosis is that the tumour will not progress sufficiently to warrant treatment, unless something changes in the wound, and fingers crossed she will be fine for the time we still have with her.

I feel for our poor girl, she has certainly had a tough time of it. I am also thankful that we are in a position of being able to afford her care and don't need to stress too much about the financial side of it. She's already on so many meds, I would hate to add to it.

Just popped in to say sorry about the news, hopefully Whitney will be able to live a full and happy life.

Whitney turns 9 today!!! She will get a treat tonight (maybe a cheeseburger!) and lot's of loving (as she does all the time - she's a love bug!)

She is such a loving happy girl, you'd never think she has had all these health issues, we are blessed to have her and Harry in our lives.

Hello Great Dane people, i'm not a Dane owner, I do have the privilege of having a friend with a Dane though, so I get my fix of Great Dane cuddles from her! My friend made a short video about what it's like owning a Great Dane.

Thought you guys might be able to relate to it :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwrvPEB5SuQ&feature=youtu.be

Edited by maddogdodge

raineth   

Oh belated Happy Birthday Whitney! How is she doing at the moment flashsmum?

I am hoping people in here will have some advice for me regarding some problems I am having with Del.

She currently has a jowl infection(bacterial and fungal) that despite a variety of medication we just aren't making any progress with.

I am trying to keep it clean and dry too, but with limited success, because obviously it's a naturally moist place.

Has anyone been through this before and have any suggestions for me?

Del has been really healthy with I think only one visit to the vet the whole time we had her (apart from check ups etc.) but since Digby died she has had one minor health problem after another, and we have been at the vet at least once a month since he died! I don't know whether this is just coincidence, because she honestly does not appear to be missing him or lonely.

But she was always very competitive with him and so she doesn't eat with a much enthusiasm and often leaves her dinner, and she won't eat anything raw anymore, or even bones. She has not eaten a single bone since Digby died (and I currently have a very pongy rabbit carcass in the backyard that apparently did not tempt her at all). I think I'm going to have to bury it tomorrow.

So now because she is not eating bones her teeth aren't looking as good as they used to.

So does anyone have any wisdom for me?

Danois   

Is it inside or outside the jowl?

Are you doing anything to boost immunity? Hopefully sas will come in as she will probably have some good ideas.

With the minor ailments - is it possible that you're only noticing things as your attention is not on Digby (given he was ill)? Not suggesting you were not looking after her!!

raineth   

Is it inside or outside the jowl?

Are you doing anything to boost immunity? Hopefully sas will come in as she will probably have some good ideas.

With the minor ailments - is it possible that you're only noticing things as your attention is not on Digby (given he was ill)? Not suggesting you were not looking after her!!

Yeah I know what you mean, I did notice her becoming more fussy with her food when Digby was sick. But I was doing Recallers with her at the time as well and she was more interested in working for her meals and she was getting a lot of food just from doing the program. I don't think I missed anything else but its definitely possible.

Thanks for the immunity boost suggestion, I will definitely look into that :)

The problem is all on the inside in the folded bits of skin either side of the mouth. So its just in that area that always dark and wet and the perfect breeding ground for germs.

sas   

Oh belated Happy Birthday Whitney! How is she doing at the moment flashsmum?

I am hoping people in here will have some advice for me regarding some problems I am having with Del.

She currently has a jowl infection(bacterial and fungal) that despite a variety of medication we just aren't making any progress with.

I am trying to keep it clean and dry too, but with limited success, because obviously it's a naturally moist place.

Has anyone been through this before and have any suggestions for me?

Del has been really healthy with I think only one visit to the vet the whole time we had her (apart from check ups etc.) but since Digby died she has had one minor health problem after another, and we have been at the vet at least once a month since he died! I don't know whether this is just coincidence, because she honestly does not appear to be missing him or lonely.

But she was always very competitive with him and so she doesn't eat with a much enthusiasm and often leaves her dinner, and she won't eat anything raw anymore, or even bones. She has not eaten a single bone since Digby died (and I currently have a very pongy rabbit carcass in the backyard that apparently did not tempt her at all). I think I'm going to have to bury it tomorrow.

So now because she is not eating bones her teeth aren't looking as good as they used to.

So does anyone have any wisdom for me?

I think you may find she is pining a bit. Just like dogs can be stoic with pain they can be similar with their emotions, after-all it is a weakness that genetically they know not to show so much. Little simply stopped playing with toys when Dante died but in all other respects seemed normal.

I think if it were me I would consider something like Vetalogica Tranquil and see what think in a months time. Increase her pre and pro biotics. I'd also be inclined to fast her 1 day a week and see how her body reacts to that, the 1 day fasting is considered healthy and safe for dogs.

Edited by sas

raineth   

That could be it then. How long did Little go off his toys for?

Thanks for the pre and probiotic tips, I am off to have a look into that :)

eta, and the vetalogica tranquil

Edited by raineth