Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

stormie   

Awww good girl Sparkles. Those young whipper snappers tut tut tut

sas   

Wow what gorgeous time at the beach! Thanks for putting the photos up!

Welcome Gloria!

please post up some pics of your Puppy!

I have a Great Dane named Delta, who is 2 years and 4 months, and a Digby dog.

Thanks every for the welcome and info on the food! The main ingredient is meat but it does have some fillers by the look of it. The eagle pack food is that one that says it's holistic? I can only find that on pet stock.com. Gloria is from Danelyne Great Danes in SA, her dad is America (they imported semen) it's good to know I can give her a few extra things, are beef bones ok at this age? I'll get some photos up, I'm nt too good at this stuff so my husband will I've me a Hand!

Daynelyn are very experienced Breeders sand have lovely looking Danes, I'd stick to what they're telling you :)

I personaly don't think beef bones are too much of a prob in moderation, have a chat to your Breeders about what they reckon :)

Edited by MEH

Amadeus   

Welcome Gloria!!!

I have Danelyne danes as well. There are so many different opinions about dog food, and you can over analyse it to death - if your puppy looks good and healthy, I would definitely just keep feeding Advance. I feed Advance myself to my girls. In my opinion, the biggest issue with Advance is a slightly high fat content, but watching the body score of the puppy continuously is important anyway. I am of the protein is 'ok' camp, and the rest of the major analysis components fit in just fine for a Giant breed. I talk to Vic and Zena alot about feed, and nutrition - their advice is sound. They are very experienced breeders, and have great looking and very healthy dogs! Royal Canin is a good choice as well, but if your puppy is doing well, I'd be reluctant to change it.

By the way, how on earth has Gloria gotten away with coming on here and talking about a 9 week old puppy without a PHOTO!!!!!

kazads   

Gloria - welcome!!!!!

I can only feed my danes beef bones - the lamb bones and brisket upsets their tummy's too much. they need bones that they can not chew up, so I need to give them the harder bones so they still get some meat and can have a good chew without ingesting the bone, whoch makes them sick. It is often trial and error to find out what your dog likes and dislikes, and what agrees with them or not.

Still have to try Nala and Scooby on a whole egg - might do that tonight.

kazads   

Well, Scooby finally won a title!!!!!! YAYAYAY. "Goofiest Dog", the comp was being held on the Aussie Danes facebook page, and Scooby took it out with this photo.

post-34455-0-04110600-1309736727_thumb.jpg

We get a Dane Owner manual, some Scooby snacks (quite fitting I think!) a rope and ball toy and he gets an Australian bandana that he cam wear next Australia Day! I am so proud of my goofy boy....

BiggD   

Welcome Gloria

Would love to see a picture of your puppy!

I would try and stick to your breeder's recommendations as closely as possible and if there are problems just ring them and discuss it. There are so many different opinions on food but Vic and Zena are very experienced breeders. Sometimes it is not necessarily the food but new owners chopping and changing which can cause growth problems. Danes would have to be the hardest breed to grow on without problems especially in the big males so it is worth it to stick to the plan at least for the first 12 months whilst they are still doing the most growing. When I give bones I give beef brisket bones cut up for me by the butcher.

Eta Meant to say I loved those beach photos and I think you summed it up well Danois!

Happy belated Birthday to Harry!

Congratulations to Scooby!

Edited by BiggD

Yes Vic and Zena were lovely people and very helpful, i certainly didnt want to disregard their advice, i just wanted i few other opinons cause of what the vet although i undertand alot of vets have no idea about Danes! Ill get onto some photos of Gloria. Thanks everyone for the bone advice. I also just wanted asl what everyones opinion is on the best age to de-sex her? the vet has said no sooner than six months and so did Zena and some internet sites say no sooner than 18 months thanks.

Welcome Gloria!!!

I have Danelyne danes as well. There are so many different opinions about dog food, and you can over analyse it to death - if your puppy looks good and healthy, I would definitely just keep feeding Advance. I feed Advance myself to my girls. In my opinion, the biggest issue with Advance is a slightly high fat content, but watching the body score of the puppy continuously is important anyway. I am of the protein is 'ok' camp, and the rest of the major analysis components fit in just fine for a Giant breed. I talk to Vic and Zena alot about feed, and nutrition - their advice is sound. They are very experienced breeders, and have great looking and very healthy dogs! Royal Canin is a good choice as well, but if your puppy is doing well, I'd be reluctant to change it.

By the way, how on earth has Gloria gotten away with coming on here and talking about a 9 week old puppy without a PHOTO!!!!!

Wow! thats awesome you have their Danes too! id love to see some pics of them sometime. Ours puppys mum is Kanas Kate, are your Danes more recent bloodline? How do i go aboiut watchimg her body score? do i follw a weight chart or just go by how lean she is looking? Thanks.

Welcome Gloria!!!

Wow! thats awesome you have their Danes too! id love to see some pics of them sometime. Ours puppys mum is Kanas Kate, are your Danes more recent bloodline? How do i go aboiut watchimg her body score? do i follw a weight chart or just go by how lean she is looking? Thanks.

Yes Vic and Zena were lovely people and very helpful, i certainly didnt want to disregard their advice, i just wanted i few other opinons cause of what the vet although i undertand alot of vets have no idea about Danes! Ill get onto some photos of Gloria. Thanks everyone for the bone advice. I also just wanted asl what everyones opinion is on the best age to de-sex her? the vet has said no sooner than six months and so did Zena and some internet sites say no sooner than 18 months thanks.

Welcome welcome!

I have a big black Willy and a Jet engine here - both are 6 :D

great beach pics Danois :)

well done Scooby! :thumbsup:

sas   

A million and one different theories on that one. If she's handling her hormones fine and you're coping ok my personal opinion is try and wait until 12 months, if she's not coping with her hormones and you're not coping with seasons (if she has one prior to 12 months) then chop chop i.m.o.

Amadeus   

A million and one different theories on that one. If she's handling her hormones fine and you're coping ok my personal opinion is try and wait until 12 months, if she's not coping with her hormones and you're not coping with seasons (if she has one prior to 12 months) then chop chop i.m.o.

Completely agree, theories are theories, and I would prefer keeping them undesexed until about 18 months - but she is a pet first and foremost, and it has to work for you all. Having a bitch in season can be a bit of a pain!!

Here are my two:

IMG_0375.jpg

Older is Danelyne Hera, and the little poppet is Heradane Pandora. They both have DOL profiles as well. I bred Pandora, but it is all Danelyne breeding and advice!!

I know Kate - she is a lovely dog, such a sook!!!

Completely agree, theories are theories, and I would prefer keeping them undesexed until about 18 months - but she is a pet first and foremost, and it has to work for you all. Having a bitch in season can be a bit of a pain!!

Here are my two:

IMG_0375.jpg

Older is Danelyne Hera, and the little poppet is Heradane Pandora. They both have DOL profiles as well. I bred Pandora, but it is all Danelyne breeding and advice!!

I know Kate - she is a lovely dog, such a sook!!!

Ha ha! yeah she was when we picked Gloria up Kate just leaned on men the whole time! Your girls are lovely! How old is Pandora in the pic?

Amadeus   

wow I can't actually remember, I think 10 weeks or so?? This is her a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_1768.jpg

Its about time for an update photo I think!

Hi Everyone, :D

My name is Kristi and I am living in Tassie, just wanted to say hello to fellow Dane owners and breeders. I currently have a 2 year old female harlequin bitch Hildydane Pretty Edelweiss and a 2 year old male harlequin Shadgus Hunter which we have just bred under our PrioryDane Kennel name. Hopefully puppies due in late August. Love to get to know some of you guys!!

Cheers

Kristi

My link

Edited by noodles73

wow I can't actually remember, I think 10 weeks or so?? This is her a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_1768.jpg

Its about time for an update photo I think!

Wow she is beatiful! ill get onto putting photos up of Gloria, she will be 10 weeks tomorrow :)

MaKoda   

Yay for photos of Hera & Pandora :thumbsup:

What lovely beach photos of Boo, Cilla & Sparkles. Looked like a beautiful sunny day.

Harry had his 7th birthday today! He got a stuffed toy (or a couple) and party hats were mandatory, although I don't think he enjoyed it as much as Whitney did!

With my wabbit!

post-1382-0-68947900-1309604064_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure about the hat!

post-1382-0-61445700-1309604090_thumb.jpg

I LIKE that hat!!!!

post-1382-0-13348900-1309604108_thumb.jpg

Happy Birthday to Harry for yesterday.

Great photos, esp how proud Whitney looks in her party hat.

I have a big black Willy and a Jet engine here -

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Haha.. yeah i had a chuckle at that too Meg :rofl:

Congrats to Scooby for winning the Goofy photo comp.

:welcome: Gloria & noodles73 :welcome: Look forward to seeing your Danes.

stormie   

Oh Amadeus Pandora is looking so so lovely!

Welcome Kristi :)

Oh yay for Scooby!! I'll have to go join that group!

Can I just say how much I love Burns Pet Food, where I get all Orbee's meat from. Orbee's allergies have been a bit bleh lately, with his Atopica and cortisone not really working. Generally it doesn't work well for food allergies and I had been feeding him chicken and duck lately with the hope I could get away with it. Anyways, we're back on a single meat for the moment and they were just so great at working out a diet which would see him get everything he needs (to the extent of mixing up a portion of offal into the mince meat) and have offered to keep tails for me so he can still have a good meal of bone. So every monday I get to pick up my Orbee mix and they're also gonna give me a call when they get a novel meat in like goat or bunny.

So now just cross your fingers that his skin settles down on this meat!!!!

Edited by stormie

raineth   

everything crossed for Orbee!

What awesome service!

Welcome Noodles! looking forward to hearing more about your danes :)