Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

Amadeus   

sorry :( didn't want to offend anyone, just my honest opinion as to how this could have been seen by a new person. I honestly think this group is a great wealth of info, I'd like to see more people hang around and not leave. ANYWAY - maybe you're right Sway, sometimes to learn you have to suck it up and eat humble pie as well - lets hope they are genuinely keen to learn.

Delta is just amazing!! What a star. I just love hearing her stories.

I always use the WAIT command before mine do anything, I'm not sure if I include the eye contact in that - I'll have to catch myself in the act!! I'm the training nazi at my house - and EVERYONE in the family gets trained as to my accepted way of dealing with the dogs. Husband and kids tease me about how fussy I am, but are always surprised at how quickly the dogs learn acceptable behaviour. mmmm thats consistency people!!

I had 1 GSP at obedience who was awesome until the family unknowingly taught him that he was a good boy if after sitting for awhile he laid down :rolleyes:. I use the word WAIT, so that no one is tempted to use STAY, and do it incorrectly.

stormie   

oh and just a little brag for those not on my facebook.. there was a new jump at pony club today. Orbee was very brave and didnt hesitate. Cleared the whole thing easily!! I've just bought a little sports pocket video camera which I should be able to strap to his harness or something, so fingers crossed we'll have some 'Orbee Cam' next week :D :D

263058_10150294064335135_761800134_8953676_6710999_n.jpg

raineth   

sorry :( didn't want to offend anyone, just my honest opinion as to how this could have been seen by a new person. I honestly think this group is a great wealth of info, I'd like to see more people hang around and not leave. ANYWAY - maybe you're right Sway, sometimes to learn you have to suck it up and eat humble pie as well - lets hope they are genuinely keen to learn.

Delta is just amazing!! What a star. I just love hearing her stories.

I always use the WAIT command before mine do anything, I'm not sure if I include the eye contact in that - I'll have to catch myself in the act!! I'm the training nazi at my house - and EVERYONE in the family gets trained as to my accepted way of dealing with the dogs. Husband and kids tease me about how fussy I am, but are always surprised at how quickly the dogs learn acceptable behaviour. mmmm thats consistency people!!

I had 1 GSP at obedience who was awesome until the family unknowingly taught him that he was a good boy if after sitting for awhile he laid down :rolleyes:. I use the word WAIT, so that no one is tempted to use STAY, and do it incorrectly.

well you didn't offend me :)

I tried not to offend her. Its hard to walk the line between telling it like it is and hoping people will stay to learn :) I think everyone was trying to walk that line.

hehe i can really relate to the training Nazi of the house :laugh: But you really have to be when the dogs are living with a variety if people. Its so hard to make things consistent in that environment!

Wow! Go Orbee!

I'll have to find you on facebook Stormie. I love the idea of Orbee Cam :thumbsup: Although I hope it won't make me nauseous!

SwaY   

It's not about sucking it up and eating humble pie, it's about the truth.

The breed is in a shit state and the last thing it needs is new breeders cutting corners and not breeding for the right reasons.

mish13   

Lol Im building a new house and the dogs will have their own room! Will have a couch, their crates, toy chest. hahaha! Mine dont have a kennel outside, they have an patio with raised beds. Which by the way are destroyed and I will have to buy new ones. :)

I started the NILIF training today and Ghost has taken to it so well! Its fantastic. He really wants to learn and didnt really like being the boss. He is just a little pushy for attention so I can see this really paying off. Rocco on the other hand is sooooo hard! He is a nervous stubborn dog who really is the boss!! Not any more! Normally I let them out in the morning for wees then they come straight back inside. I asked Rocco to sit. He didnt, asked once more and he still didnt. No eye contact nothing. He then started pacing up and down the sliding door. Trying to push past me to get in. Looked at me like "get out of my way". I stood still. After 20 minutes I went inside and completely ignored him. I had my back to him standing in front of the heater, he then procceded to bark at me!!!!! Little shit! I still ignored. He stoped. After a further 20 minutes he was still pacing. I went to the door, opened it. I asked him to sit once more and he did!!! Full eye contact for about 30 seconds. I steped away from the door and he still sat looking at me, I then said "ok" and he went inside. He is now out cold on his bed!!! I hope that was the way to do it. I can see he is going to take a lot longer than ghost but it will be well worth it! Sorry for the long story!

I don't own a Great Dane but I love looking at your thread and all your beautiful dogs. I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning NILIF I have just had a look at the web site and it is great reading.

I have four dogs so I am always working on being the leader of my pack.

The one thing that stood out was the comment about the dog dictating when we play with them. I have one nine year old standard poodle that drives us crazy every afternoon because she wants us to play. As from tomorrow playing will be on my terms not hers so she is going to get a big shock. :thumbsup:

Jac   

Delta, you are such a clever cookie! I love watching her - she tackles everything with such enthusiasm,

GDM, that's great that your two are responding so well to NILIF.

Just remember every interaction you have with your dog is a training session, when we remember that we're alot more successful :) One thing I love about Sophie's program is she reminds us that if we only use a motivatpr during our actual training sessions then we're only setting up our dogs to perform during those sessions. When I'm at home I wear a vest with pockets that has food, especially when teaching something new when the reward rate is high and then switch to a variable rate.

Don't you just love it when you put something on to go out, reach into the pockets and find some mouldy dried up treats :laugh:

GDM I have one suggestion which you feel free to take or leave ofcourse :)

I do the sit and eye contact before being allowed inside too.

I suggest you initially give Rocco 5 seconds to sit. If the five seconds are up you just close the door in his face. You can go back to him in a couple of minutes and try again. Gradually you make it so that he has four seconds... and just keep taking the time down.

Just so you're not waiting for too long. Also if he gets into the habit of making you wait he is sneakily being in control again :)

Any suggestions for dogs who bark to come in then when you go to open the door, he gives you this cheeky 'Gotcha!' look and runs away? It WAS funny now it is annoying.

Shame that we have not heard back from noodles. I was trying hard not to say anything. Just don't know where to start. Noodles, you said you had an open mind so I hope you would embrace what people have said here. If you are interested in breeding, it is important you show your dogs at major shows so that you can see how they stack up against others in the breed. If you want to be in this for the long term and be known as a reputable breeder then you want to only breed from the best (from a health, conformation and temperament point of view).

Jac   

Stormie, will look for you on FB if that's ok so that I don't miss out on Orb's adventures :D He can be delicate - you should buy him a snow suit and boots - better yet, get Meg to make you matching snow outfits :laugh:

My bucket list for my dogs:

I would love to take them travelling with me! Not in the hole of the plane but I would like them in the seat next to me. Then we'll go to countries like France where dogs are allowed everywhere. We'll stay in nice hotels, go to lovely restaurants, shopping, trekking etc...

raineth   

I don't own a Great Dane but I love looking at your thread and all your beautiful dogs. I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning NILIF I have just had a look at the web site and it is great reading.

I have four dogs so I am always working on being the leader of my pack.

The one thing that stood out was the comment about the dog dictating when we play with them. I have one nine year old standard poodle that drives us crazy every afternoon because she wants us to play. As from tomorrow playing will be on my terms not hers so she is going to get a big shock. :thumbsup:

Hi Mish, Its always nice to have visitors :) hehe I bet she'll learn quickly though!

Any suggestions for dogs who bark to come in then when you go to open the door, he gives you this cheeky 'Gotcha!' look and runs away? It WAS funny now it is annoying.

:laugh: :laugh: naughty! I wouldn't know what to do about it though!

stormie   

Stormie, will look for you on FB if that's ok so that I don't miss out on Orb's adventures :D He can be delicate - you should buy him a snow suit and boots - better yet, get Meg to make you matching snow outfits :laugh:

My bucket list for my dogs:

I would love to take them travelling with me! Not in the hole of the plane but I would like them in the seat next to me. Then we'll go to countries like France where dogs are allowed everywhere. We'll stay in nice hotels, go to lovely restaurants, shopping, trekking etc...

Oh yes do find me! Hahaha I think Meg's made him enough outfits for the moment, but I will keep that idea in mind. Some matching booties perhaps :laugh:

I love the idea of traveling with Lorpee, but somehow I'm not sure he'd find it as pleasant as I would. But perhaps a little holiday somewhere would be nice.

Danois, what was the name of the place you and Looby stayed at in Blayney?

D & D   

:cheer: Yay Delta............is there anything you can't do?

And :cheer: Yay Orbee............pony club star :D

I don't have a bucket list for my dogs. But if they want to go to the snow, they're on their own! :eek:

Danois   

Love Delta!

Boo learnt a new trick today - it's called if you dig up some of the garden you find tennis balls which were hidden there by the previous owner's dog...Given he thinks tennis balls are the bee's knees and the garden yielded 2 of them, I 'm guessing he's going to think there are more to be found :mad On the plus side - I retrieved the sock which also appears to have been buried at some point by the other dog and it took Boo 3 years to dig the garden!

Clever Orbee too.

My bucket list with Boo is to make it to the Brisbane's Catch Up - lots of danes on the beach :thumbsup: I'd love to go travelling more with him but its the practicality of what to do with a dog when I wanted to do things which he could not do/ come along for.

Stormie - this is the place: http://www.takeabreak.com.au/Orange/CentralWestExplorerCountry/-La-Provence--b--b/Guest-Reviews.htm

If you PM Warley (She's under Ready Steady Go these days) she'll tell you how cold it is! There is an offlead dog area (fenced) in Blayney too.

I really liked Shelly Beach on the weekend so was thinking about going up there for a weekend.

stormie   

Hahaha my step dad used to live there when he and Mum started dating so I used to go down and visit the farm here and there, so yep, know how cold it is! That's the idea...SNOW!!! hehehe

Danois   

Yeah Jack has mentioned they've had snow already. It was a lovely house - so nice and peaceful and surrounded by animals. I think they had some horses along with alpacas and the sheep right by the house (note - sheep cough at night LOL).

Jac   

Oh yes, most definitely Orbit will love to go away on a holiday with you. We often go to Margaret River and the boys know it because they want to wait in the car while we pack it up - just in case we forget to take them :laugh: As for overseas travel, we'll just have to be rich like Oprah who bought her own plane so that her dogs didn't have to travel in the hole.

Jac   

I don't have a bucket list for my dogs. But if they want to go to the snow, they're on their own! :eek:

Awww but they're all set to go from a wardrobe point of view :laugh:

D & D   

Awww but they're all set to go from a wardrobe point of view :laugh:

Maybe, but I'm not!! :laugh:

sas   

:laugh: Funny bugger.

I'd do one of 2 things, ask for a sit before I open the door, then open the door and attach a leash and give the release word and guide the dog inside or shut the door and ignore the dog for 5 minutes then go back and call the dog, if the dog doesn't come to the call, I'd shut the door, ignore the dog for a good hour and try again.

Perdy   

Loved the Delta vid! Love her intelligence!

So I'm taking a couple of weeks holiday at the end of the month (YAY!) and something I hope to do is take Orbit to see snow. I'm not sure whether he'll think its as cool as I will, but oh well. Anyway it's got me thinking, what are some things you'd love for your dogs to experience if you got the chance? Sort of like a bucket list for dogs I guess?

I would love to show Sash and Mars where I grew up. We'd do long walks in the english countryside through meadows and oak forests, they would chase some squirrels along the way and then we'd have a good beer and some lunch in a pub (the dogs would get some pork crackling YUM). Bring on super sonic air travel and no quarantine I say! Or 'beam me up Scottie' transporters!! :thumbsup:

Failing that, I'll get them to see snow (well, the Aussie version of snow) and I'd quite like to do a road trip to SA via the desert with them *wonders how photos of Vizsla against red dirt would turn out* :laugh:

Don't you just love it when you put something on to go out, reach into the pockets and find some mouldy dried up treats :laugh:

This happens to me ALL the time :o In fact, today I got to work to find I have kibble in my pocket which isn't bad but I have found actual mould in jacket pockets before. And one time I was very bad and left a chicken neck in a bait pouch :eek::vomit:

Edited by Perdy

raineth   

Does anyone have any ideas for something simple I could free-shape with Digby.

I just can't think of anything :(

we were doing the box thing but he kind of lost his balance and fell in it - lets just say that will go into the desensitisation list now.