Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

Jac   

awww baby stripe...would love to see more baby photos of him nic :)

stormie   

Hmm that's so strange, when I logged in this morning it said no new posts and has all day, but when I came on now and see GDG's new post, I also see hers from last night that I never saw last night??

Baby Stripey certainly was handsome! And I do like that he was reading up on moving house before he came to you :laugh:

Perdy   

Hey all the new puppy people, I normally don't preach training related stuff BUT Susan Garrett has launched a new program called 'Puppy Peaks' that you can sign up for and have a years access of her training her new puppy 'Swagger'. Take a look her 3 FREE webinars and see if you like... http://www.puppypeaks.com/fe/13492-struggles

I highly recommend! :thumbsup:

mish13   

I have just watched Struggles part one and boy oh boy do I do it all wrong, I cant wait to watch the next one, thanks so much for the link :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wow did i scare everyone off :( :( :cry:

Not at all!

Love seeing everyones photos especially of their Danes when they were puppies.

Really quick fly in today, was ready to log on yesterday but a certain small furry thing called Ccat took the chair and went to sleep I didn't have the heart to move him.

Love the coat too meg!

Yesterday was freezing here so I decided to do some cooking, started with raineth fishy treats for Sparkles. Well they went down very well each step was supervised by Sparkles she watched me like a hawk. I managed to put some in the fridge and the others I was trying to find the container lid and when I left the kitchen for a short while they had all gone and only an empty container there, Sparkles looking inocently on the sofa - must have been gremlins that took them.

Thanks for the recipe raineth so easy and tasty so I am led to believe.

stormie where in the snow are you going with Orbee?

sas   

Hey all the new puppy people, I normally don't preach training related stuff BUT Susan Garrett has launched a new program called 'Puppy Peaks' that you can sign up for and have a years access of her training her new puppy 'Swagger'. Take a look her 3 FREE webinars and see if you like... http://www.puppypeak...13492-struggles

I highly recommend! :thumbsup:

I'm loving Susan Garret and recently did the Recallers course which Kirra loved. My biggest hurdle and why I have signed up to do the puppy peak program is because I'm not experienced in trouble shooting with positive methods as I'm an aversive + positive method trainer.

I've learned alot and I have a HUGE amount to learn with these methods.

Perdy is my go to person for problem solving with positive methods, a great trainer she is!

I'm currently reading Karen Pyror - Getting into the animal mind and the Scientific information contained within about Clicker training is just faciniating i.e. how the clicker noise goes straight to the Joy centre of the brain and that's why we get great results that are fast and long lasting rather than using a verbal marker and training with a lure rather than shaping as that doesn't go to the same centre in the brain and therefore does not produce the same results.

I've been clicker training for about 6 years and I'm just loving it more and more the more my skills develop with it and what I can do with it.

I'm loving using it with Kirra at the moment, she's such a smart puppy to start with but I just love watching the Joy she shows when she's learning.

Edited by MEH

Any one want a free Great dane rescue Sticker?? Its Black and was the one i did a practice on for size??

Lemme know and ill get it in the mail today for you

stormie   

Any one want a free Great dane rescue Sticker?? Its Black and was the one i did a practice on for size??

Lemme know and ill get it in the mail today for you

I'd love it if no one else has already claimed it??

stormie   

stormie where in the snow are you going with Orbee?

We're staying near Canberra on a farm B&B style cottage, then will drive down to the Snowy Mountains the following day and hopefully find somewhere I can freely take him. Most of the snow areas are in the National Park I believe, so I'm going to have to make some calls to find out where exactly I can take him! Then we are back for another night in Canberra and then home!

kazads   

Thanks Perdy, will def check it out, more so for my boxer who is a brat at the moment - nipped me this morning! Scooby has been a breeze compared to her...

Meh - after your enrichment advice for Scooby I went out and bought a treat ball and a normal high durable kong (we did have one but I am guessing it is forever lost under the house somewhere...) and a kong wubba. I also still have Scooby's King Wobble and am keeping spare plastic bottles to put treats into too. He loves them, he has not been given the Kong Wobba yet, maybe tomorrow on our walk he can have a play with it. They seem to entertain him but he is smart so figures them all out pretty quickly so within a couple of hours he is bored again! I also hide kibble and Scooby Snacks for him.

Today, I have been home sick and I had him in his area, he was there for about 2 hours, Nala and Bella were inside with me with doggy door accessibility to outside. I hear Nala carrying on and then Scooby appears at my feet, looking terribly pleased with himself! So, he has now managed to loosen the nail we put in to reinforce his gate... what a cheeky fellow. Needless to say, he has been inside with me all day, and even stayed inside while I went out to the chemist without incident. Gotta love the little man xx . And he responds so well to clicker training, even with distractions, maybe it is in the blood ;)

We are putting our old girl down on Saturday, trying not to think about it :( She seems to be a little friskier in the last few days, but still pants and heaves when she walks...

Love all the pics of the new puppies too - just gorgeous!!

BBrown86   

Hi there - just thought i would chime in as Spencer is my brindle boys brother. I got him from Zena the same day as you. George is doing really well and weighed in last Saturday when he was 13 weeks at 17.1kgs. Still skinny as and is starting to teethe so he is chewing everything, except the chew toy i bought him lol.

Hi - Oh George, he looked like a George too! I was so excited when we picked up the puppies that day that i forgot to get a photo of the little ones together, would love to see some photos of him now! 17.1kgs - he is a little bigger than Spencie Poo! are you still feeding Advance? how many cups a day? Spencer is on 6/day and he still seems hungry!! ha Spencer was teetheing also - I used a spray bottle when ever he was chewing the furniture and it worked a treat doesnt touch it anymore.

moggsy   

Hi there - just thought i would chime in as Spencer is my brindle boys brother. I got him from Zena the same day as you. George is doing really well and weighed in last Saturday when he was 13 weeks at 17.1kgs. Still skinny as and is starting to teethe so he is chewing everything, except the chew toy i bought him lol.

Hi - Oh George, he looked like a George too! I was so excited when we picked up the puppies that day that i forgot to get a photo of the little ones together, would love to see some photos of him now! 17.1kgs - he is a little bigger than Spencie Poo! are you still feeding Advance? how many cups a day? Spencer is on 6/day and he still seems hungry!! ha Spencer was teetheing also - I used a spray bottle when ever he was chewing the furniture and it worked a treat doesnt touch it anymore.

Yeah it was an exciting day thats for sure. George,too is on 6 cups a day which seems a bit much and still wants more. Looking into options, as Advance has pretty high protein to fat ratio. Holistic and Eagle Pack seem better options as you dont have to feed as much per day and the protein is based on meat products rather than fillers and corn/wheat products but will research it a bit more. Glad Spencer is doing well. Shoot me a pm and i will email you the pics at the airport of George and Spencer.

sas   

Thanks Perdy, will def check it out, more so for my boxer who is a brat at the moment - nipped me this morning! Scooby has been a breeze compared to her...

Meh - after your enrichment advice for Scooby I went out and bought a treat ball and a normal high durable kong (we did have one but I am guessing it is forever lost under the house somewhere...) and a kong wubba. I also still have Scooby's King Wobble and am keeping spare plastic bottles to put treats into too. He loves them, he has not been given the Kong Wobba yet, maybe tomorrow on our walk he can have a play with it. They seem to entertain him but he is smart so figures them all out pretty quickly so within a couple of hours he is bored again! I also hide kibble and Scooby Snacks for him.

Today, I have been home sick and I had him in his area, he was there for about 2 hours, Nala and Bella were inside with me with doggy door accessibility to outside. I hear Nala carrying on and then Scooby appears at my feet, looking terribly pleased with himself! So, he has now managed to loosen the nail we put in to reinforce his gate... what a cheeky fellow. Needless to say, he has been inside with me all day, and even stayed inside while I went out to the chemist without incident. Gotta love the little man xx . And he responds so well to clicker training, even with distractions, maybe it is in the blood ;)

We are putting our old girl down on Saturday, trying not to think about it :( She seems to be a little friskier in the last few days, but still pants and heaves when she walks...

With enrichment it's the case of knowing their routines, i.e. maybe you give a bone in the morning first thing so that he chews that and then after that he's bound to go to sleep for a few hours, then when he wakes up he can go searching for his hidden enrichment and start to get into that. Kirra sometimes goes through all her enrichment first thing, depends what mood she is in, but even if she does that she'll be tired after that. She does get a shit load of enrichment though.

Their Mum is pretty bloodly smart so I'd say so!

So sorry about your old girl, we will be thinking of you.

kazads   

With enrichment it's the case of knowing their routines, i.e. maybe you give a bone in the morning first thing so that he chews that and then after that he's bound to go to sleep for a few hours, then when he wakes up he can go searching for his hidden enrichment and start to get into that. Kirra sometimes goes through all her enrichment first thing, depends what mood she is in, but even if she does that she'll be tired after that. She does get a shit load of enrichment though.

Their Mum is pretty bloodly smart so I'd say so!

So sorry about your old girl, we will be thinking of you.

In regards to his outside area, Scooby knows his routine but if he knows we are home routine seems to go out the window. I try and be quiet but I suspect what roused him today was that Bella ended up running up the council strip after we got back from our walk and I called her back and she came, but Scooby heard it all and knew I was home, hence his Houdini act!

Danois   

Lovely photos!

I have a dog who is certainly letting me know I have not given him a lot of attention this week due to heavy work commitments...yesterday I came home to see chewed wood with red on it and thought it was blood. If only! He'd stolen a carved red wooden apple from beside the telly and had chewed away. Tonight, he'd stolen the container of cat grass from the garden and spread the dirt across the lounge...

Both items have been in place for 6 months without being touched.

sas   

In regards to his outside area, Scooby knows his routine but if he knows we are home routine seems to go out the window. I try and be quiet but I suspect what roused him today was that Bella ended up running up the council strip after we got back from our walk and I called her back and she came, but Scooby heard it all and knew I was home, hence his Houdini act!

Heya, I don't really mean routine like that, more of his wake/sleep/play cycle.

Don't try and be quiet, let him know you're there, even go sit there and just look the other way until he shh's or calms and then give calm praise etc.

A Inntokek Zone Collar might be suitable if you're unable to reinforce the enclosure.