Sign in to follow this  
Danois

The Great Dane Thread (part 2)

22,632 posts in this topic

Perdy   

I hear you on the Roo problem! I have the same with Sash... she stands up on her hind legs and balances to get a good look at them! She looks like a frekin Kangaroo herself!! Our tracking this season has fallen by the wayside cos of agility but I'll be training the Vizsla up over the summer during agility break using a clicker method and will be doing the same with Sash to hopefully get her nose down more, so next year we'll get stuck in! :)

OMG - Oscar does exactly the same as Sash - just add jumping on his hind legs while balancing, so he does look like a bl00dy roo. My issue now is that he'll track quite well if he can't see the roos, but wont put his head down to indicate an article as he "can't possibly take one eye off the bush". For test 5 he needs to indicate 2 of the 3 articles to get a pass.

I started my Pointer puppy in tracking about 5 weeks ago. So much fun!

Enjoy camping and agility! Sounds like a perfect b'day present LOL

Exactly my problem too!! My aim to re-train so the track itself is reinforcing because currently it's the articles which have the value, so when there's a distraction such as Roos, she'll come off the track and forget about the tracking part! She'll find the article still, cos she'll airscent it but she won't get her nose down.

I'm going to use Steve White's method. There's a brief explanation on Karen Pryor's site and Steve's DVD...

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/214

http://store.clickertraining.com/trwistwh.html

Edited by Perdy

Amadeus   

I went there looking for US dog food but they didn't have any. I wanted to compare them with what I can get at Petbarn. They are selling 20 kilo bags of Optimum Large Breed for $50 until 14th August - regular price $70. I don't know what the limits are but at that price I'll get a couple of bags for Lochie and Ashley and a bag for the littlies. That should last a while. :)

Juks, with Lochie still growing is Optimum suitable for a growing Dane? If you're looking for something that's easy on the budget, Bonnie Working Dog has a suitable matrix for Great Dane puppies.

What is Optimum lacking? It's not the price so much as it's the one food that has halved the poo factor and that he hasn't chucked up :o It seems to agree with him.

I'm not sure? That's what I was asking you. Does it have the correct phos/calc requirements for a dane puppy?

I can't remember how old Lochie is?? Optimum Adult and puppy has a Ca:P ratio of 1:1, which is not ideal for a dane puppy. Ratio should be closer to 1.2:1. Protein is also high, if you are a 'low protein' feed person. Metabolisable Energy is good as well.

I'm going to use Steve White's method. There's a brief explanation on Karen Pryor's site and Steve's DVD...

Thanks for the links Perdy :thumbsup:

Interesting method of using scent in water - you'd think it would hold to the ground better and perhaps not leave a wide scent cone? Would be a good method for dogs going on to TSD and not used to pavements and variable surfaces.

I think we'll be re-training articles over the summer break too :laugh:

Perdy have fun camping I am sure Sash will have a wonderful time.

Flashsmum sorry I must have been typing when you posted your reply re the muzzle. It does seem very unfair when most of them are lovely dogs and wouldn't hurt any other anmimal.

Hey everyone it's been a while for us too. We are now in NSW and still getting settled.

Happy birthday Sasha!

Oh and here's my long overdue contribution to dane pics and vids.

Cilla working on the crossing paws challenge:

Vid 1:

Vid 2:

Dani :)

Edited by Bozley's Angel

sas   

Dani, she's progressing really well! She keeps her focus well and only seemed to get frustrated where that 2nd video ended!

go cilla!! clever girl

loomie is having trouble with this challenge, and stripe, well hes a bit slow with this one too :laugh:

sas   

go cilla!! clever girl

loomie is having trouble with this challenge, and stripe, well hes a bit slow with this one too :laugh:

We're on targeting with the right foot, sometimes I can get them to cross a paw and sometimes I just get whacked in the face.

stormie   

Go Cilla!!!

I'm struggling with this one a bit. I've done lots of 'paw' with him before so he's very confident with using each paw and I often ask for the paw with a tap. So whilst he's great with the targeting, as soon as the target comes close to the other leg and touches it, he thinks i'm wanting that leg :s I'm also a bit convinced that their general shape and subsequent laying down position really make the whole crossing leg thing very easy/comfortable?? That's my excuse anyway!

But either way, Orbee's having a great time doing this again!!!

loomie can do the paw target, but when it comes to putting the trget next to the leg, he moves the leg next to the target and wacks with the appropriate paw, ill try n get a vid to show ya. think we have to backup a step again

Guest Angel88   
Guest Angel88

Hey all, I'm just curious is it right to charge more for a puppy of different colour?

I have a 6 month old bullmastiff and wanting to expand our family next year and looking for a breeder to go on their waiting list.

I want a Harlequin but will happily have a Mantle (I want a male pet puppy)

But a breeder I asked said $3000 for a Harlequin and $2500 for a mantle... Is this what most breeders charge or is it a bit much??

I'm willing to wait for the right puppy - price doesn't matter but I certainly don't want to be over charged for a different colour?

D & D   

Oh and here's my long overdue contribution to dane pics and vids.

Cilla working on the crossing paws challenge:

Oh, she's just beautiful :love:

We're on targeting with the right foot, sometimes I can get them to cross a paw and sometimes I just get whacked in the face.

Only sometimes? I get whacked a fair bit :o

Hey all, I'm just curious is it right to charge more for a puppy of different colour?

I have a 6 month old bullmastiff and wanting to expand our family next year and looking for a breeder to go on their waiting list.

But a breeder I asked said $3000 for a Harlequin and $2500 for a mantle... Is this what most breeders charge or is it a bit much??

I'm willing to wait for the right puppy - price doesn't matter but I certainly don't want to be over charged for a different colour?

:welcome: Angel88

There's lots of advice out there in what to look for in a breeder. Some do charge more for certain colours.

MEH has a great link that maybe she'll share. :provoke: MEH?? I can never find it :o

Edit to make sense :)

Edited by itsmeg

Welcome Angel88, Thats about right for Show Harl or mantle, but if your after a pet only id say the priced should be a little cheaper.

I second the great link MEH has on selecting the right breeder, pup etc etc, hopefully she will be online later and post it up.

And MEH, hope it was ok for those replies on the Facebook Great dane Rescue and rehoming page, Not exactly what Our gorgeous breed needs, another breeder just for the hell of it :mad

Edited by greatdanegirl

sas   

It's greedy. Harlequins are typically $2,500.00 from good breeders who try and do all the right things by the dog. Harlequins are said to cost more because you don't get that many of them in a litter. $3,000.00 doesn't neccessarily = what you get in return.

Pheebs   

Welcome Angel88, Thats about right for Show Harl or mantle, but if your after a pet only id say the priced should be a little cheaper.

I second the great link MEH has on selecting the right breeder, pup etc etc, hopefully she will be online later and post it up.

And MEH, hope it was ok for those replies on the Facebook Great dane Rescue and rehoming page, Not exactly what Our gorgeous breed needs, another breeder just for the hell of it :mad

If you go to the individual in questions page she has posted something along the lines of "Ahhh don't know what breed to choose". Despite her many protests, she clearly has no idea what she's doing.

I thought you were all very restrained :D

sas   

Absolutely GDG, I had to walk away for 5 minutes before responding and responded in the best manner I could at the time.

If you go to the individual in questions page she has posted something along the lines of "Ahhh don't know what breed to choose". Despite her many protests, she clearly has no idea what she's doing.

I thought you were all very restrained :D

thanks Pheebs,my thoughts exactly lol. i did my best to stay calm. stupid stupid people, they really dont care

Absolutely GDG, I had to walk away for 5 minutes before responding and responded in the best manner I could at the time.

Sweet, bit of a nerve asking on there i thought, so sick of people wanting a mate for there male just for the freakin hell of it :mad:eek:

sas   

Very stoked to say both Kirra and Leila crossed the right paw over the left paw to target the object YAY, this is their 4th session I think. Dante had his 3rd session and is nearly at that level.