Relatively New To Dog Ownership...

PrincessCharming

I have never owned any of those breeds you mentioned but can answer your question of curiosity.

My first dog is my prince, Ramses my labrador, I was 14 when i got him. He has been the best dog i could have asked for! I always wanted a dog I could have off-lead around other dogs at the beach/park wherever and that would fetch. Well ever since he was 6 months old all he has ever done is fetch and by 12months I was confident to have him offlead. He is now 4yrs old and the model dog for all pups we have through this house. The grandpa of the pack :)

In regards to bitches in season , males and their legs etc etc If your not going to become a registered breeder with the pup then my advice is to desex at 6 months to save any hassle. Leila the GSD, went through a season before we desexed her and it was horrid! She was 12 months old by the time she got done and had learnt her bad behaviours. Have to say though she has calmed down so much now!!! Ramses was done at 6 months and never developed the cocking of the leg, he occasionally does it now but not often. Friend the beagle was desexed yesterday and he cocks his leg, he is 6months but each dog is different.

As for your age. Well I was 14 when i got him and im not tied down with a dog. Ive done a bit of travelling, go on holidays and live life etc etc Rams is just a big part of it. If its what you want it wont feel like your tied down at all!

Edited by spoilt lab lives here

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion, I think you are too young to be tied down by a dog. Your priorities and situations will change so much over the next 10 years you really don’t need a dog holding you back, plus you don’t want to subject a dog to all those possible changes in circumstances.

If you do want a pet, maybe think about fostering Greyhounds, I don’t know much about the actual program but it may be worth looking into.

Sure, Greyhounds are a little ugly, but they are beautiful on the inside……apparently.

Your not serious right? that is the dumbest thinig i have read today.

I got my first dog just after my 17th Birthday (had a family JRT x from 16 years old). Clover got me out and about, to training and then later going to trials and then Flyball competitions. She has never been a burden to me and if anything has been a life saver & great companion.

Good on you for starting to research now and not leave it as an impulse thing. I agree heading out to some shows might be a good idea, it will give you an idea about all the different breeds and gives you a chance to talk to people. Goodluck in your research :).

Got Hugo at 19, Fletcher at 20.. Now i'm 21 and will be getting my third dog (another Samoyed) towards the end of the year :)

When we got Hugo we were renting in a unit with no fenced backyard, so a pug suited our situation. We had plans to save up and buy a house after a year, which we did, and then we got Fletcher.

I don't think you're too young, and it sounds like you've got something good between your ears and you're really thinking/planning/researching and that's the most important thing. It might seem like forever away, but it's perfect amount of time to get out there and make sure you get it right... you will learn most, and make the best decision regarding which breed is best for you, by going and meeting the dogs and speaking to owners and breeders - the pet expo next weekend might be a good time as there will be stalls set up by most breed clubs, people will be there ready to talk to you about their breed... it can be hard at dog shows as often people are busy grooming and running in and out of the ring, but the expo would be a perfect opportunity.

I don't have any information regarding which dogs are good for beginners, I think as long as you do your research and are willing, as it sounds, to meet your dogs needs, it doesn't really matter. Of course... I'd suggest a Samoyed any day (especially as your happy to brush a coat!) or maybe a rescue Pug! :laugh:

Good luck with your research!

Edited by Bindii

My ex & I got our 1st Standard Poodle ( and the 1st dog either of us had ever owned) just over 30 years ago. We wanted a largish dog which would be protective, yet would get on with our cats (we had Burmese & Siamese & were breeding & showing). A friend of ours who had cats had the most fantastic Miniature Poodle and we told her that we would love to get a Poodle, but needed something bigger (we had NO idea that Standards existed :) ) She recommended we look at a Standard, we ended up buying one from a lady who was/is one of New Zealand's top Standard Poodle breeders and who became quite a friend of ours over the years - we have had 4 dogs from her & she has had one from us! Neither of us knew anything about dogs, but we did some research, read some books and enede up with the most fantastic breeed of dog. OK, Poodles are not for everyone - they are feisty, intelligent, naughty (if they are not given enough mental stimulation) and require regular grooming. But they ARE, in my totally biased opion, the best, most loving companion dog you could possibly wish for.

In regards to bitches in season , males and their legs etc etc If your not going to become a registered breeder with the pup then my advice is to desex at 6 months to save any hassle.

It is not that simple with a giant breed. Their growth plates are still open until around the 18 month mark and early desexing can interfere with their growth - eg taller/ lankier/ leaner dogs.

Early desexing is something you'd have to discuss with the breeder you chose to go with as they will know how their lines mature.

Owning & raising a giant breed is very different than what is required for other breeds.

No you are not alone! I too have had animals all my life and when I moved house they came with me wherever I went. FWITW I think Aussies make wonderful pets if you're prepared to treat them like one of the family and put in some early training. They are clowns though :laugh:

Just my opinion, I think you are too young to be tied down by a dog. Your priorities and situations will change so much over the next 10 years you really don’t need a dog holding you back, plus you don’t want to subject a dog to all those possible changes in circumstances.

If you do want a pet, maybe think about fostering Greyhounds, I don’t know much about the actual program but it may be worth looking into.

Sure, Greyhounds are a little ugly, but they are beautiful on the inside……apparently.

What a bullshit generalisation :laugh:

Not every young adult or even teenager feels 'tied down' by the dog they love and have waited years for. I have had dogs of my own (either gifts or purchased myself) consistently since I was 11 & I'm now 25 and have not once felt burdoned or tied down by them. I know I am not alone in this.

Hi PrincessCharming,

I was a bit like you and always dreamed to own a Newf one day!! I always grew up with Golden Retrievers, who I also love, but a Newf just had some appeal to me and I always knew that I'd do whatever it takes to get one!!

I waited till I was 22, so I got most of my travelling, partying, impromptu weekends away etc etc out of the way. My boy is about to turn two and I have never regretted getting him, but it HAS been a huge lifestyle change!! I think as a young person, when you start thinking about getting your own dog and discussing it with people everyone seems to have a different warning for you ("it will eat you out of house and home", "you'll never be able to travel" etc etc) and you tend to become a bit resentful and defensive, while really you are taking what they say on board to a certain degree. There are a lot of obstacles, but if your heart's really in it, you can make it work.

For me, the cost is a big thing. The initial purchase price is nothing compared to other costs. I spend between $75 and $100 a week on food, clipping, wormer, insurance and training. I had to buy a new car to transport him (I know you've said that you already have an appropriate car, but I'm guessing you won't have that for the next 8-10 years!!) and I pay a ridiculous price to rent with him. Renting is the biggest issue. It took me 4 months to find the place that I'm in now, and during that time I had to board him with his breeder and visit him on weekend- was NOT good!! Most places will not allow you to rent with pets (when I was looking there was never more than 6 'pet friendly' houses to rent in the GREATER Melbourne area at any one time!!) and I think the only reason I got this house was because I happened to forget to mention that my dog was a Newf and gave them a photo of when he was 8 weeks old- tiny fluffy and cute!! I know that you said that you'll be moving in with your brother but again you've got to think about the long term- will you be with him till you buy a house or are you likely to have to rent for some time?

You also need to take into account changes in income. You can't guarantee that you will earn a certain amount for the next ten years, and it's always a stress if you feel like you can't afford the next wormer or bag of food because you took this dog on as a responsibility. I was told this and totally disregarded it- I had two degrees and surely my wage will only go higher. Trouble is, that's not always the case- the economy changes and you might find yourself without a job!!

Another thing to consider is future partners. I am very lucky that my boyfriend has grown to love my dog, but many people simply could not live with a Newfoundland. What would happen if you meet someone you really like and they don't like your dog? Some things that get to me sometimes are things like my friends having the money to go out and go on holidays whereas I have decided to spend my money on my dog. Also, my partner and I have started discussing moving overseas for a couple of years- which would be very difficult because I'd want to take my dog which is hugely expensive and imagine finding accommodation overseas if its difficult enough here!! Also, we can't just decide to go away on a Friday night because we have to organise for someone to look after the dog.

Having said all that, if you do think that you can overcome those boundaries then go for it. Owning a dog, especially a Newfoundland, can be the most rewarding, grounding experience! I think it's really positive that you are starting to think about all these things early so you can come to a good decision when it's time to purchase a dog. Good luck :laugh:

I just finished posting the above post only to look up to see my Newf standing next to my bed panting with a foot long string of drool hanging from his mouth!! I tried to get a tissue to wipe it but was not fast enough- it dropped on my doona!! Another thing to keep in mind with Newfoundlands!! HAHA!!

Hi PrincessCharming,

I was a bit like you and always dreamed to own a Newf one day!! I always grew up with Golden Retrievers, who I also love, but a Newf just had some appeal to me and I always knew that I'd do whatever it takes to get one!!

I waited till I was 22, so I got most of my travelling, partying, impromptu weekends away etc etc out of the way. My boy is about to turn two and I have never regretted getting him, but it HAS been a huge lifestyle change!! I think as a young person, when you start thinking about getting your own dog and discussing it with people everyone seems to have a different warning for you ("it will eat you out of house and home", "you'll never be able to travel" etc etc) and you tend to become a bit resentful and defensive, while really you are taking what they say on board to a certain degree. There are a lot of obstacles, but if your heart's really in it, you can make it work.

For me, the cost is a big thing. The initial purchase price is nothing compared to other costs. I spend between $75 and $100 a week on food, clipping, wormer, insurance and training. I had to buy a new car to transport him (I know you've said that you already have an appropriate car, but I'm guessing you won't have that for the next 8-10 years!!) and I pay a ridiculous price to rent with him. Renting is the biggest issue. It took me 4 months to find the place that I'm in now, and during that time I had to board him with his breeder and visit him on weekend- was NOT good!! Most places will not allow you to rent with pets (when I was looking there was never more than 6 'pet friendly' houses to rent in the GREATER Melbourne area at any one time!!) and I think the only reason I got this house was because I happened to forget to mention that my dog was a Newf and gave them a photo of when he was 8 weeks old- tiny fluffy and cute!! I know that you said that you'll be moving in with your brother but again you've got to think about the long term- will you be with him till you buy a house or are you likely to have to rent for some time?

You also need to take into account changes in income. You can't guarantee that you will earn a certain amount for the next ten years, and it's always a stress if you feel like you can't afford the next wormer or bag of food because you took this dog on as a responsibility. I was told this and totally disregarded it- I had two degrees and surely my wage will only go higher. Trouble is, that's not always the case- the economy changes and you might find yourself without a job!!

Another thing to consider is future partners. I am very lucky that my boyfriend has grown to love my dog, but many people simply could not live with a Newfoundland. What would happen if you meet someone you really like and they don't like your dog? Some things that get to me sometimes are things like my friends having the money to go out and go on holidays whereas I have decided to spend my money on my dog. Also, my partner and I have started discussing moving overseas for a couple of years- which would be very difficult because I'd want to take my dog which is hugely expensive and imagine finding accommodation overseas if its difficult enough here!! Also, we can't just decide to go away on a Friday night because we have to organise for someone to look after the dog.

Having said all that, if you do think that you can overcome those boundaries then go for it. Owning a dog, especially a Newfoundland, can be the most rewarding, grounding experience! I think it's really positive that you are starting to think about all these things early so you can come to a good decision when it's time to purchase a dog. Good luck :laugh:

Thanks for this post! It's given me some wonderful things to think about. I don't want to post too much information about myself on the net, so I will just reply in simple dot point and say these things:

*I will never party..It's my personal choice. :laugh:

*Cars will never be an issue...A very close family member runs a used car dealership :laugh:

*Money will never be an issue

*I will be living with my brother and my fiancee until I am twenty two, when we will travel interstate to live with his family. Yes, I know I am very young to be engaged, but it is a cultural thing and we have been engaged for several years now. Please do not comment or judge this aspect of my life. :rofl:

I'm not sure if I will get a newfie, but I most likely will get a larger breed. My fiancee has some allergies to certain breeds so he will be a big aspect of our decision making, even though the dog is truly for me.

I just finished posting the above post only to look up to see my Newf standing next to my bed panting with a foot long string of drool hanging from his mouth!! I tried to get a tissue to wipe it but was not fast enough- it dropped on my doona!! Another thing to keep in mind with Newfoundlands!! HAHA!!

Is it wrong to find that adorable? :laugh:

Sorry, Australian Shepherd. As you can see by my signature photo they are happy to be couch potatoes as well as do stuff!

Aussie terriers, Aussie shepards..?

To whomever mentioned collies: My concern with a collie is I wouldn't be able to provide enough mental and physical stimulation for them.

Sorry, Australian Shepherd. As you can see by my signature photo they are happy to be couch potatoes as well as do stuff!

To whomever mentioned collies: My concern with a collie is I wouldn't be able to provide enough mental and physical stimulation for them.

Aren't they just precious! Are they recognized breed yet? :laugh:

Well and truly :laugh: If you go to any dog shows you will see some lovely Aussies in Group 5.

Aren't they just precious! Are they recognized breed yet? :laugh:

princess C- if you feel you could not provide adequately for the mental needs of a collie- IMO you should not even consider a poodle.

Poodles are a very intelligent and active dog- great at things which involve thinking and 'working'.

Unfortunately, so many people just see the fluff and frills- and fail to notice the sassy and smart canine brain within! :laugh:

As for grooming- no need for the fancy 'do'- just a 'puppy clip' for functionality. Easy :laugh:

princess C- if you feel you could not provide adequately for the mental needs of a collie- IMO you should not even consider a poodle.

Poodles are a very intelligent and active dog- great at things which involve thinking and 'working'.

Unfortunately, so many people just see the fluff and frills- and fail to notice the sassy and smart canine brain within! :laugh:

As for grooming- no need for the fancy 'do'- just a 'puppy clip' for functionality. Easy :laugh:

I meant to mind of a poodle was what intrigued me! The face actually doesn't appeal to me... :laugh:

But if poodles are as mentally demanding as collies I'm out. I just thought we could learn lots of tricks and such.