Relatively New To Dog Ownership...

PrincessCharming

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion, I think you are too young to be tied down by a dog. Your priorities and situations will change so much over the next 10 years you really don’t need a dog holding you back, plus you don’t want to subject a dog to all those possible changes in circumstances.

If you do want a pet, maybe think about fostering Greyhounds, I don’t know much about the actual program but it may be worth looking into.

Sure, Greyhounds are a little ugly, but they are beautiful on the inside……apparently.

I can understand where this person is coming from. So many young people get dogs while in a relationship and then comes the break up, they head overseas, they change

careers, housing/living requirements change or the novelty wears off.

BUT

In this case, the OP sounds like he/she is committed to the responsibility for the dogs life and it's not a snap decision.

No you are not alone! I too have had animals all my life and when I moved house they came with me wherever I went. FWITW I think Aussies make wonderful pets if you're prepared to treat them like one of the family and put in some early training. They are clowns though :laugh:
Just my opinion, I think you are too young to be tied down by a dog. Your priorities and situations will change so much over the next 10 years you really don't need a dog holding you back, plus you don't want to subject a dog to all those possible changes in circumstances.

If you do want a pet, maybe think about fostering Greyhounds, I don't know much about the actual program but it may be worth looking into.

Sure, Greyhounds are a little ugly, but they are beautiful on the inside……apparently.

What a bullshit generalisation ;)

Not every young adult or even teenager feels 'tied down' by the dog they love and have waited years for. I have had dogs of my own (either gifts or purchased myself) consistently since I was 11 & I'm now 25 and have not once felt burdoned or tied down by them. I know I am not alone in this.

Does that mean that people aged between 20 and 40 shouldnt have dogs because they have kids, and people over 60 might die and leave their dog behind? Every person is different, I take great offence to you saying. I am 20, i have australian shepherds and have had dogs from the first day of my life. I have never missed out on anything by having a dog, and the dogs have never missed out on anything by having a Generation Y owner.

Just my opinion, I think you are too young to be tied down by a dog. Your priorities and situations will change so much over the next 10 years you really don’t need a dog holding you back, plus you don’t want to subject a dog to all those possible changes in circumstances.

If you do want a pet, maybe think about fostering Greyhounds, I don’t know much about the actual program but it may be worth looking into.

What a bullshit generalisation :laugh:

Not every young adult or even teenager feels 'tied down' by the dog they love and have waited years for. I have had dogs of my own (either gifts or purchased myself) consistently since I was 11 & I'm now 25 and have not once felt burdoned or tied down by them. I know I am not alone in this.

Fair enough, I probably did not word that very well, I was just trying to point out the long term commitment any animal is.

I guess I was just realating more to my own experience not knowing the OP's situation. From 18yo I was out most nights, or away on work trips and would not have had time to commit to a dog, especially since I have a lot of trouble letting anyone else look after my dogs, I just dont trust anyone else.

be careful getting a dog during a period of your life when change is most likely to occur

or at least disruption to routine

so many things to consider...but particularly a stable home for your new dog

go ahead as long as you have back up

i had to go work in the NT and had to leave my dogs back with my dad who was a dog lover

another time once married i had to leave my dog with my dad again cos we were building our house and renting

so...plan it all out in that regard

as far as breeds go

go for the bigger breeds and scale down as you grow older and feeble lol

thats my plan

anyway

I dont know if it has been mentioned, what about a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, they are big dogs in a smaller dogs body.

I hadnt had a dog for 20 years, now I have two of them and they are just the most loving, funny gods.

I dont know if it has been mentioned, what about a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, they are big dogs in a smaller dogs body.

I hadnt had a dog for 20 years, now I have two of them and they are just the most loving, funny gods.

Sorry but I don't like staffies too much...The next door neighbours staffy ate my cat when I was five and I can't move on.

They are stunning to look at though! :laugh:

I think someone has already suggested them but I think a Retriever would fit your criteria. They are smart, cuddly, a good medium/large size, they have a great coat to play with brushing (you'll do lots of it :laugh: ), they are very social. My old guy Ronin helped me make lots of new friends just by wanting to say hello to everyone ;)

I think someone has already suggested them but I think a Retriever would fit your criteria. They are smart, cuddly, a good medium/large size, they have a great coat to play with brushing (you'll do lots of it :laugh: ), they are very social. My old guy Ronin helped me make lots of new friends just by wanting to say hello to everyone ;)

Goldens are pretty special. :laugh:

What about other breeds of retrievers?

princess C- if you feel you could not provide adequately for the mental needs of a collie- IMO you should not even consider a poodle.

Poodles are a very intelligent and active dog- great at things which involve thinking and 'working'.

Unfortunately, so many people just see the fluff and frills- and fail to notice the sassy and smart canine brain within! :love:

As for grooming- no need for the fancy 'do'- just a 'puppy clip' for functionality. Easy :love:

I meant to mind of a poodle was what intrigued me! The face actually doesn't appeal to me... :laugh:

But if poodles are as mentally demanding as collies I'm out. I just thought we could learn lots of tricks and such.

:D :) ;) :love:

How could you NOT love this face?

HDTambo008-1.jpg

ETA - not to mention the lovely shot of his dad's butt in the background :)

Edited by poodlemum

I think someone has already suggested them but I think a Retriever would fit your criteria. They are smart, cuddly, a good medium/large size, they have a great coat to play with brushing (you'll do lots of it :laugh: ), they are very social. My old guy Ronin helped me make lots of new friends just by wanting to say hello to everyone :)

Goldens are pretty special. :D

What about other breeds of retrievers?

labradors ( as someone else said)

poodles are retrievers

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Curly coated retriever

Flat Coat retriever

not saying that any or all of those would be suitable, but you could look them up to decide.

Then you also have hunt, point and tretireve breeds such as German Shorthaired Pointer and Hungarian Vizsla

All these breeds do tend to have a lot of energy, can't remember if that's an issue or not.

Thanks for this post! It's given me some wonderful things to think about. I don't want to post too much information about myself on the net, so I will just reply in simple dot point and say these things:

*I will never party..It's my personal choice. :D

*Cars will never be an issue...A very close family member runs a used car dealership :)

*Money will never be an issue

*I will be living with my brother and my fiancee until I am twenty two, when we will travel interstate to live with his family. Yes, I know I am very young to be engaged, but it is a cultural thing and we have been engaged for several years now. Please do not comment or judge this aspect of my life. :)

I'm not sure if I will get a newfie, but I most likely will get a larger breed. My fiancee has some allergies to certain breeds so he will be a big aspect of our decision making, even though the dog is truly for me.

:D Say what?!! Your fiancee??? You live with your brother??? Have I missed something here PC?

I am gobsmacked. ;)

Thanks for this post! It's given me some wonderful things to think about. I don't want to post too much information about myself on the net, so I will just reply in simple dot point and say these things:

*I will never party..It's my personal choice. :D

*Cars will never be an issue...A very close family member runs a used car dealership :)

*Money will never be an issue

*I will be living with my brother and my fiancee until I am twenty two, when we will travel interstate to live with his family. Yes, I know I am very young to be engaged, but it is a cultural thing and we have been engaged for several years now. Please do not comment or judge this aspect of my life. :)

I'm not sure if I will get a newfie, but I most likely will get a larger breed. My fiancee has some allergies to certain breeds so he will be a big aspect of our decision making, even though the dog is truly for me.

:D Say what?!! Your fiancee??? You live with your brother??? Have I missed something here PC?

I am gobsmacked. ;)

Me and my OH have been on and off for five years. I live with my mother but I am moving in with my brother next year after high school.

Anyway, this thread is about dogs. Let's keep it that way.

princess C- if you feel you could not provide adequately for the mental needs of a collie- IMO you should not even consider a poodle.

Poodles are a very intelligent and active dog- great at things which involve thinking and 'working'.

Unfortunately, so many people just see the fluff and frills- and fail to notice the sassy and smart canine brain within! :heart:

As for grooming- no need for the fancy 'do'- just a 'puppy clip' for functionality. Easy :cheer:

I meant to mind of a poodle was what intrigued me! The face actually doesn't appeal to me... :D

But if poodles are as mentally demanding as collies I'm out. I just thought we could learn lots of tricks and such.

:D :) :) :p

How could you NOT love this face?

HDTambo008-1.jpg

ETA - not to mention the lovely shot of his dad's butt in the background ;)

Nawwwwww

That is pretty special :party: