Relatively New To Dog Ownership...

PrincessCharming

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've been with him since you were 12? :D Wow, how does that fit in with your bedridden lifestyle?? I mean, those tumours and things, the amount of time you've spent in hospital.

Yeah, we have been on and off for a very long time. ;) He's a very special guy.

Well this may shock you but even people who suffer from endometriomas and surgeries can lead a somewhat normal life. Yeah, I spent a good two years bedridden, but I've managed to scrape through school and now I'm very proud to be in year twelve.

Again, I'd like to keep this dog related, so whether you think I'm a big liar or not, please keep it out of my thread. If you want to argue with me, PM me. If you don't want to, please just give it a rest so I can continue my thread.

Hmmm guys what's a flat coat retriever?

So you arent sick here.... MMMMMM

What Terry??? I thought you were too cut up about him dying...

Gettting married.... mmmmmm

This thread is about me getting a dog that is entirely my own. Terry was a family dog. I also have stated I am not getting my own dog for a few years.

Guys, just stop. Dragging stuff from other forums and derailing threads is against the rules.

Well I can say that poodles are awesome dogs to own, and yes they are incredibly smart and not a total 'lay about' dog, they are definitely not as difficult to live with as say a border collie (yes I know there are plenty of BCs that are easy to live with and are fine too!) but yes, they do NEED mental and physical stimulation or they'll be liable to be destructive and difficult. In saying that I just spent 15 mins playing about in the back yard for the heck of it and my girl is now snoozing behind my computer chair happily. If I get up, she'll be on my heels ready for more playing or snoozing, whatever I throw at her. She used to be a destructive difficult dog to live with for her previous owner though, but since I got her she comes to work with me every day and has never been a problem even though we don't actually go out for walks much!

And you can groom them however you want, no need to have the whole poodle look, you can leave them with a beard and shave their eats and tail down so they look like a terrier or something; whatever! :D

geez people really are giving this person a really hard time.

back on topic, my boy ( a borzoi) fits the criteria though i'm not entirely sure he is typical of the breed. He's affectionate, big(though will weigh less than most giant breeds), fast, couch potato, has fun with other dogs and loves all people. He acts so mature people don't think he's a pup yet we can rough house him at home which he loves. Unfortunately we will have to watch his prey drive around little dogs but he's not aggressive to them. Doesn't require much exercise for his size. He did require some strict training because he was a dominant boy but thats all under control now.

From what i've heard English setters might be a fit too.

Edited by pixie_meg

Just my opinion, I think you are too young to be tied down by a dog. Your priorities and situations will change so much over the next 10 years you really don’t need a dog holding you back, plus you don’t want to subject a dog to all those possible changes in circumstances.

If you do want a pet, maybe think about fostering Greyhounds, I don’t know much about the actual program but it may be worth looking into.

Sure, Greyhounds are a little ugly, but they are beautiful on the inside……apparently.

What a bullshit generalisation :mad

Not every young adult or even teenager feels 'tied down' by the dog they love and have waited years for. I have had dogs of my own (either gifts or purchased myself) consistently since I was 11 & I'm now 25 and have not once felt burdoned or tied down by them. I know I am not alone in this.

Fair enough, I probably did not word that very well, I was just trying to point out the long term commitment any animal is.

I guess I was just realating more to my own experience not knowing the OP's situation. From 18yo I was out most nights, or away on work trips and would not have had time to commit to a dog, especially since I have a lot of trouble letting anyone else look after my dogs, I just dont trust anyone else.

Another one here who got my first dog quite young. I started researching breeds when I was 17, couldn't wait to move out of home so I could have my own dog :laugh: I had more or less picked my breed by 18, chosen a breeder by 19. Just after I turned 20, I signed the contract on my first home and just a few months later I started making enquiries. I didn't have long to wait until Darcy was born just at the right time :D My situation has changed drastically since then. I broke up with my fiance, moved out of our house, back in with my parents, got together with my new OH (who also has his own dog) and moved here with his parents.

Its been hard on both of us but I have never felt burdened by him. In fact, if I didn't have Darcy to worry about I might still be with my ex (I put up with a lot of crap from him, but there was NO WAY I was going to put up with him taking his emotions out on my dog). Darcy has proven to be very adaptable and has settled in quite well with all the changes. Our current living situation is sharing a house with 9 huskies and by some miracle they all get along. I'm pretty sure Darcy loves always having someone to play with.

OH and I are both young and have two dogs. Darcy is almost 2 and Ziggy is 3. They are both going to be with us for a long time yet and they will be around for many life changes but I can guarantee neither of them will ever be neglected or unhappy.

Not undeservedly, trust me.

"This person" seems to move from forum to forum with incredible stories. If you notice, they answer what you want them to answer.

I don't actually trust that they are anything they say they are and I am concerned that they are trying to rort people in someway, or they need serious help. I am just not sure which.

Either way, people here are taking the time to answer and give information and they are being deceived. I doubt this person has ever even wanted a dog. When I first came across them, they wanted a Chihuahua... then a Sharpei...then a Greyhound and so it goes on. They are fooling you and taking you for a sucker, like they have many, many others.

Not undeservedly, trust me.

"This person" seems to move from forum to forum with incredible stories. If you notice, they answer what you want them to answer.

I don't actually trust that they are anything they say they are and I am concerned that they are trying to rort people in someway, or they need serious help. I am just not sure which.

Either way, people here are taking the time to answer and give information and they are being deceived. I doubt this person has ever even wanted a dog. When I first came across them, they wanted a Chihuahua... then a Sharpei...then a Greyhound and so it goes on. They are fooling you and taking you for a sucker, like they have many, many others.

Yep...not undeservedly.

We spent a lot of time talking to this person...answering questions...listening to things and being bombarded with new threads constantly. This person will tell you what you want to hear...will look at peoples signatures to see who might be in the "in" crowd and then latch on to them like a leech. All I am saying is...be careful what you say to this person!

Aussie terriers, Aussie shepards..?

To whomever mentioned collies: My concern with a collie is I wouldn't be able to provide enough mental and physical stimulation for them.

I mentioned Collies. They are somewhat different to some of their Border Collie cousins and are quite a bit lazier. Yes they do need training, exercise and stimulation but as do all dogs. However if you are concerned about it then perhaps you are right they may not be the dog for you, the last thing you want is to have a dog and then be constantly worried you are not providing enough for it, it takes the fun out of your doggy/person relationship. If you are worried about a Collie though, be careful with choosing a gun dog or any working dog as they will all need the same and some of them much much more.

Edited by SmoothieGirl