What Breeds Actually Fall Under Bsl?

PrincessCharming

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried googling it and checking out the forum (I bet I missed a huge post) but I can only seem to find pitbulls. What other dogs fall under this terrain?

The importation of the dogo Argentino, fila Brasileiro, Japanese tosa, American pit bull terrier or pit bull terrier, and Perro de Presa Canario or Presa Canario into Australia is absolutely prohibited.[12]

I tried googling it and checking out the forum (I bet I missed a huge post) but I can only seem to find pitbulls. What other dogs fall under this terrain?

The importation of the dogo Argentino, fila Brasileiro, Japanese tosa, American pit bull terrier or pit bull terrier, and Perro de Presa Canario or Presa Canario into Australia is absolutely prohibited.[12]

What's the difference between an APBT and a PBT?

:confused:

The problem with BSL is that the " checklist" used to identify banned breeds can actually falsely identify other breeds that are NOT banned. Also these breeds CAN be well trained dogs but unfortunately became favourite breeds for the less savoury of dog owners who did not train them, or specifically encouraged the aberant (sp) behaviour. It would be preferable to have specific dogs who are KNOWN to have aggressive natures be dealt with rather than a ban of the breed in total.

The danger is that BSL may and can be expanded by legislation at any time to include any number of other breeds that MAY be seen as being undesirable by various organisations.

I don't visit the BSL thread much but I understand the people here are dedicated to educating people to "Blame the deed not the breed" and I agree with this. ANY dog can be dangerous but conversely ANY dog can also be well trained and disciplined.

not 100% sure but i think it comes down to the Apbt being a purebreed and the pitbull terrier being any mixed breed that has the general appearance of the Apbt and who's heritage is unknown... but as i said im not 100% sure

Edited by addy001

Anything that fits the BSL criteria are not allowed. So if it looks like a pitty and is in a State where they are no longer permitted (which is most of them) then if the dogs is declared a pitty it is pts.

Wait...So mutts with pit bull in them aren't allowed either?

Logan City Council (QLD) 22-Point Checklist (from www.victimsofbsl.com)

1. Head - medium in length and is brick wedge shaped

2. Head shape - has a skull shape which is flat and widest at the ears with prominent cheeks free from wrinkles

3. Muzzle - square, wide and deep

4. Muzzle - well pronounced jaws, displaying strength

5. Upper teeth - meet tightly over lower teeth (scissor bite)

6. Ears - set high on the head and free from wrinkles

7. Eyes - round to almond

8. Eyes - set far apart, low down on the skull

9. Nose - wide open flared nostrils

10. Neck - muscular and slightly arched

11. Neck - tapers from shoulder to head

12. Neck - free from looseness of skin

13. Shoulders - strong and muscular with wide sloping shoulder blades

14. Back - short and strong

15. Back - slightly sloping from withers to rump

16. Back - slightly arched at the loins with the loins slightly tucked

17. Chest - deep, but not too broad, with well wide sprung ribs

18. Tail - short in comparison to the size of the dog, tapers to a fine point and not carried over the back and dose not extend beyond the hocks

19. Legs - medium to large, round boned and reasonably strong

20. Feet – of medium size should be in proportion to leg size

21. Thighs - well developed muscles

22. Coat - short and stiff to touch

23. Height - from withers to ground

24. Common photo match

Dogs are graded on each point, given a score between 0 and 3. Not sure what the "minimum score" is to have the dog declared.

Any dog which fits these criteria can be declared.

Not sure how many councils in Oz use this system.

Anything that fits the BSL criteria are not allowed. So if it looks like a pitty and is in a State where they are no longer permitted (which is most of them) then if the dogs is declared a pitty it is pts.

No. The owners are given a set amount of time to comply with the Dangerous Dog laws of their state/local council (DD collars, enclosures, desexing, etc). If they don't, THEN the dog is euthanased.

(edited: multiple quote)

Edited by OzPit

Hmm...Sad. :laugh: Never even heard of some of those breeds. :)

You'd hear of them if the Filo Brasiliero were allowed. They are 45 kg+ dogs, bred to be highly intolerant of humans outside the family. Original purpose: Capture (maim and kill acceptable) runaway slaves. Still used to protect cattle from cattle rustlers and jaguars . . . perhaps also protect children from kidnapping (kidnapping for ransom is a big thing in some areas of Brasil). They are only shown in specialty shows in the US. Require a judge that can handle a breed where it is acceptable (by breed standard) for the dog to bite the judge and unacceptable for the dog to be tolerant or (breed-standard forbid) friendly toward strangers. Obviously, feeling the testies is not safe practice. Lovely, strong mastiff-type dogs. But too dangerous for general circulation.

I don't support BSL with respect to the APBT . . . but think it is sensible for any breed where the breed standard supports and requires temperament only suitable to environments where extreme human aggression or dog aggression is required. If the APBT were still being advertised as a dog suited to pit fights, I would also support BSL for the APBT.

If the APBT were still being advertised as a dog suited to pit fights, I would also support BSL for the APBT.

I don't understand this point.

A proper, game-bred APBT is a dog suited to pit fights.

That it's a disgusting practice and one which is thankfully outlawed is irrelevant, as is the fact that nobody in their right mind would "advertise" them as such.

But it's a fact. The dogs are bred to enjoy fighting another dog and to not give up. Does this mean you do support BSL, because they are bred to enjoy fighting other dogs?

If the APBT were still being advertised as a dog suited to pit fights, I would also support BSL for the APBT.

I don't understand this point.

A proper, game-bred APBT is a dog suited to pit fights.

That it's a disgusting practice and one which is thankfully outlawed is irrelevant, as is the fact that nobody in their right mind would "advertise" them as such.

But it's a fact. The dogs are bred to enjoy fighting another dog and to not give up. Does this mean you do support BSL, because they are bred to enjoy fighting other dogs?

I'm also at a loss to that comment, who in they're right mind would support something like BSL! it has nothing to do with pit fighting, BSL was bought about to supposedly protect people. Game bred lines are being bred still and are still making great pets for families the world over.