While I Was At Training

Lhok

This probably should be in the Training Forum but I would like any opinions on this

I was at Tracking training last night and my friend who owns an Akita came with me to give it a go and was told by our instructor that Akita's don't make very good tracking dogs and that it was a pointless task to try and train it to do so. I thought Akitas were orginally bred for hunting bears but I could be wrong

Just wondering if anyone else has had and instructor do that and what can I do to help my friend?

I'm seriously considering training my young dog to track. Yep, I know, he's a Malamute :confused:

But watching him in the yard makes me think he would really enjoy this kind of work. He is fantastic at tracking my scent and will often track me through the yard, taking the exact route I did many hours ago. He also loves playing fetch and the challenge of finding the exact stick I threw for him amongst the hundreds of other ones laying under the trees in the yard. Blind fetch is a favourite of his too, he doesn't see where I threw the stick but he will track it down with gusto :laugh:

If a dog has the ability to smell, it can track. Tell your friend to give it a go!

Agreed!

Not the same as tracking, but I get all sorts of comments doing obedience with my beagle. Some people think it's a bit of a joke and don't think you'll do well at it or ever be much competition. Proving them wrong is the best revenge :)

There's a really good book called "Tracking Dog - Theory and Methods" by Glen R. Johnson. I've been reading it (Ahsoka's just started tracking) and he says that ANY dog can track. There are photos of a Westie, Poodle, Wolfhound, Maltese terrier... So why not a Mal or an Akita?

Any dog can track and it's a disgusting attitude to turn people off it because they're dogs may not be complete naturals, trainers should be encouraging people to work with their dogs and build relatioships rather than leaving them in the backyard.

If a dog has the ability to smell, it can track. Tell your friend to give it a go!

Agreed!

Not the same as tracking, but I get all sorts of comments doing obedience with my beagle. Some people think it's a bit of a joke and don't think you'll do well at it or ever be much competition. Proving them wrong is the best revenge :)

Same doing Obedience with a Great Dane, Breeds should never be used as an excuse not to train ones dog I think.

Im hoping to give one my bullmastiffs a go in tracking this year (and also obedience). I have litter sisters but one is more willing to please than the other so I will start off with her. Its really not the done thing with bullmastiffs, but Im keen to give it a crack.

Agreed!

Same doing Obedience with a Great Dane, Breeds should never be used as an excuse not to train ones dog I think.

Not tracking...but I was told at my first dog club that i would always "struggle" with my dog and its not the type of dog she would like to have representing her club.

Not tracking...but I was told at my first dog club that i would always "struggle" with my dog and its not the type of dog she would like to have representing her club.

:)

Honestly people like that say those things because they wouldn't have a clue how to train or get the best out of the breed they are referring to.

It shows so much about the calibre of the trainer doesn't it?

Look! A Dane in the CCD ring! (about to recall) It was so great to see one in there!

4000396158_b3abba2dee.jpg

Lovely to see! I'd love to know who she is!

Geesh!!!! I hope you changed clubs!!! What a terrible attitude :)

Agreed!

Not the same as tracking, but I get all sorts of comments doing obedience with my beagle. Some people think it's a bit of a joke and don't think you'll do well at it or ever be much competition. Proving them wrong is the best revenge :laugh:

Look! A Dane in the CCD ring! (about to recall) It was so great to see one in there!

Lovely to see! I'd love to know who she is!

Ooh I don't think I have the catalogue anymore...