While I Was At Training

Lhok

If a dog has the ability to smell, it can track. Tell your friend to give it a go!

Agreed!

Not the same as tracking, but I get all sorts of comments doing obedience with my beagle. Some people think it's a bit of a joke and don't think you'll do well at it or ever be much competition. Proving them wrong is the best revenge :D

Same doing Obedience with a Great Dane, Breeds should never be used as an excuse not to train ones dog I think.

All dogs have noses so tracking should be natural for them.

I'm planning on trying tracking this year with Pele, my Bull Terrier. She now has her CD title and we are going to start trialling in Open this year so will be very busy :o I used to get the same comments about training a Bull Terrier. Pele passed every class every month and had her class 5 and Basic Obedience Certificate at 12 months of age, leaving the so-called "smart" breeds in her wake :) Yes, proving them wrong was great :laugh:

Geesh!!!! I hope you changed clubs!!! What a terrible attitude :laugh:
If a dog has the ability to smell, it can track. Tell your friend to give it a go!

Agreed!

Not the same as tracking, but I get all sorts of comments doing obedience with my beagle. Some people think it's a bit of a joke and don't think you'll do well at it or ever be much competition. Proving them wrong is the best revenge :laugh:

Same doing Obedience with a Great Dane, Breeds should never be used as an excuse not to train ones dog I think.

Not tracking...but I was told at my first dog club that i would always "struggle" with my dog and its not the type of dog she would like to have representing her club.

Yes I did change clubs.

Her loss.... as huski mentioned...the best revenge is to do well with your dog.

Look! A Dane in the CCD ring! (about to recall) It was so great to see one in there!

4000396158_b3abba2dee.jpg

Awwwwww! Don't you just love the "look" on her face - she's taking her CCD trial seriously isn't she. You couldn't say she doesn't belong there :laugh:

Thanks for your replies

I'll try to convince my friend to keep going with it however the next nearest club is a bit of a trip so we will have to look into it

and unfortunately we are not in Vic as that tracking group sounds awesome.

--Lhok

Any dog can track and it's a disgusting attitude to turn people off it because they're dogs may not be complete naturals, trainers should be encouraging people to work with their dogs and build relatioships rather than leaving them in the backyard.

yes i got similar comments for years from the club i attended about training /trialling Irish Setters.

This probably should be in the Training Forum but I would like any opinions on this

I was at Tracking training last night and my friend who owns an Akita came with me to give it a go and was told by our instructor that Akita's don't make very good tracking dogs and that it was a pointless task to try and train it to do so. I thought Akitas were orginally bred for hunting bears but I could be wrong

Just wondering if anyone else has had and instructor do that and what can I do to help my friend?

we've had akitas with TDs and TDXs at my club - can't remember if the TDX akita did his tracking championship, or if it wasn't available then ...

what state are you in?

This probably should be in the Training Forum but I would like any opinions on this

I was at Tracking training last night and my friend who owns an Akita came with me to give it a go and was told by our instructor that Akita's don't make very good tracking dogs and that it was a pointless task to try and train it to do so. I thought Akitas were orginally bred for hunting bears but I could be wrong

Just wondering if anyone else has had and instructor do that and what can I do to help my friend?

by the way, i'm working with a greyhound in tracking. lovely long nose ... to hold lots of scent receptors ... now all i have to do is work on her attitude <smile> - don't think the judge will let the tracklayers sprint away wearing bunny suits.

I have a friend who went to a Sydney tracking club, they weren't very nice to her and she had a tracking breed, something about if tracking isn't the only thing you do then you're not giving the club what they want....100% dedication, no conformation showing or anything else like that....jackasses....

I have a friend who went to a Sydney tracking club, they weren't very nice to her and she had a tracking breed, something about if tracking isn't the only thing you do then you're not giving the club what they want....100% dedication, no conformation showing or anything else like that....jackasses....

I hope that's not the one that I want to join! I'd be screwed! We do obedience, flyball, herding, showing and now tracking (though we haven't joined a tracking club yet).

Daaaaw look at that goofy squishy face!

You only like it because it has black dots! LOL

Agree though - "goofy squishy face" is an apt description.

Good on the person who owns this dog :laugh:.

I agree regarding the tracking too ..... I think anyone who wants to try it should be encouraged to have a go. I did a workshop with my avatar girl once upon a time but I don't think she was well liked for her 'lack of talent' ..... not because she couldn't get the job done, but because she would air-scent (proved a quicker result for her) more than ground scent. To me, it didn't matter. She found me and she was so chuffed at her cleverness LOL.

At my club the instructors almost laughed out loud when I took my two Siberians to training, now two years of training they call on them to demonstrate to the new classes how the exercise is done. Then we tried tracking and the club organized for a lady from Melbourne to come and show us the ropes, she was wonderful full of encouragement. So yes Siberians can do tracking, my girl does.

I have been told that GSP's and Obedience will never work by one person and by a different person on the same day that even if it does then I'm best getting a female cause the boys will never do any good .... also been told that GSP's aren't able to do Agility either (at least with any success) - on that occasion I commented that I should possibly let my boy's breeder know that since she's clearly deluding herself that her GSP's (and many others) have achieved what they have achieved ....

Some people just have a lot of opinions ......

on that occasion I commented that I should possibly let my boy's breeder know that since she's clearly deluding herself that her GSP's (and many others) have achieved what they have achieved ....

:laugh: It's so true... And often said by people who have never been involved with the breed in question.