Troubles At Kurri Pound

DMA

For those of you who don't know, Kurri Pound is located in the Hunter Valley of NSW some 50kms west of Newcastle. It has many issues which are starting to get notice. It started getting some public awareness in the local Cessnock Advertiser about 2 weeks ago (Page 6 for those who can get a copy). As stated, given there's a lot of disatisfaction about the place, in respect to the extremely limited opening hours (ie 4 hours a week), no volunteer scheme, & possible relocation to better facilities, at last someone at Council has heard the cries of the public (well some of us anyway).

Please see article below...

shelter1.jpg

Now it has come to light what was discussed at the council meeting in question on 3 Feb 2010. After Cr Allan McCudden raised the issue about problems at Kurri pound the council meeting was interesting to say the least. A friend sent me info, about the meeting, which can be found online here: http://www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/resources/f...3022010_AGN.pdf You'll have to scroll down to page 38 to find the relevant section.

Essentially the council is only willing to open the pound for an extra hour a day. I don't know if that means only on the current days the pound is currently open or they mean every day. So that's either an extra 4 hours a week or 7 hours. Not really what the place needs. The irony is the council acknowledges the place has major issues (see below).

Now I hope I don't violate any copywrite laws, but I'll paste here the "report" section...

Kurri Kurri Animal Shelter is located in Mitchell Street at Kurri Kurri. The Council facility is located on crown land and is managed by Cessnock City Council Rangers and a casual animal attendant. The opening hours of the facility are 9.00am – 10.00am Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

The purpose of the shelter is to temporarily house stray and abandoned Companion Animals and Stray Livestock such as horses, cows, goats and at times, birds such as chickens and roosters

The shelter is a temporary facility to house Companion Animals for a period of 7 -14 days under the Companion Animal Act 1998.

Council is obligated to provide a service to collect stray, abandoned and unwanted animals within in its Local Government area as part of a service to the community. In NSW the management of animals in pounds is covered by:

• The Companion Animals Act 1998; and

• The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979.

Draft Code of Practice for the Accommodation or Shelter of Animals

The purpose of the Code is to provide the minimum standards for the accommodation or shelter of animals. The requirements of this Code do not replace and are additional to the obligations and requirements under any other legislation. The Code and its provisions are to be observed by operators of facilities for the accommodation or shelter of animals and by the persons who work in them.

The objective of the Code is to ensure that all such animals are treated in a way which maintains their comfort, security and wellbeing at all times, and minimises the stress these animals experience in an unfamiliar environment. This includes ensuring that all reasonable action is taken to reunite animals with their owners, or to re-home animals with new owners. In addition, this Code is aimed at securing public confidence in pounds, so that they are seen in a positive light, and in promoting responsible pet ownership.

General guidelines on the minimum standards of accommodation, management and care that are appropriate to the physical and behavioural needs of impounded animals are provided, together with monitoring requirements and operational procedures for both management and staff. They are intended to ensure that individual animals receive a high level of attention.

Animals housed in pounds have certain basic requirements,: accommodation and equipment designed to suit their anatomy and behavioural patterns:

• protection from the elements and provision of comfortable conditions of temperature,

• ventilation and lighting;

• protection from other animals;

• space enough to move, stretch, rest and exercise;

• feed and water to provide essential nutrients; and

• protection from disease, parasites and vermin.

These requirements must also be accompanied by regular monitoring to ensure early detection of problems.

These guidelines indicate the minimum standards of accommodation, management and care to meet the physical and behavioural needs of seized animals along with monitoring requirements and operational procedures for both management and staff.

The Kurri Kurri Animal Shelter does not meet the standards prescribed in the draft Code of Practice. Investigations of the options of relocating the animal shelter or contracting for the provision of the service have commenced.

There's a lot more in the council minutes/agenda, so read it if you wish, but this is the essential part I think. So even though, as noted in the last paragraph above, the council admits they're in breach of their own Code of Practice, all we get is an extra hour a day opening time. Seriously that's simply not good enough...

Needless to say it'd be great to support Cr Allan McCudden by sending letters & emails to the other councillors, & the mayor, to show there is voter, I mean public, support in respect to the real issues.

Here's the list that DOL member butch's dad compiled for the Kurri Pound thread resently:

Mayor:

[email protected]

Councillors emails:

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

General Manager

[email protected]

Local MP

[email protected]

Please help in any way you can.

Its all a bit hard to follow-

quote These guidelines indicate the minimum standards of accommodation, management and care to meet the physical and behavioural needs of seized animals along with monitoring requirements and operational procedures for both management and staff.

The Kurri Kurri Animal Shelter does not meet the standards prescribed in the draft Code of Practice. Investigations of the options of relocating the animal shelter or contracting for the provision of the service have commenced.

If that were a private rescue or a breeder or for that matter even a dog owner they would have had their animals seized and charged with duty of care etc.

There's a new article in the Cessnock Advertiser today (page 3) about the issues at the pound & last weeks Council's meeting. See below:

kurripoundarticle10022010.jpg

As you can see, other than accepting that the hours maybe extended, other vital issues aren't mentioned at all by council's response; these being a volunteer program, being facilities, far better security, a do-not-kill policy for releaseable dogs, among other issues.

So please sign the Cessnock City Council Animal Pound petition (link below) & spread the word to everyone you know. Council won't do anything unless presured to do so by the people.

Support the Cessnock City Council Animal Pound

Thank you

Edited by DMA

I just like to pass on, for those who maybe not aware already, that the cattledog pup, who sparked off the petition due to being stolen from the pound, was found again last week. Anyway she went into rescue care yesterday (Tuesday 16/02) & is now having the time of her life on a farm on the Central Coast.

I named her Petition, but her carer has named her Nulla.

Here's some pics of the pup who could change the world - well the Cessnock part of it at least...

Nulla1.jpg

Nulla2.jpg

Nulla3.jpg

Nulla4.jpg

Photos curtesy of the carer

Needless to say please sign Petition's petition if you haven't already. And please tell everyone you know about it. Here's the website address: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/cessno...imal-pound.html

Edited by DMA

Finally getting the attention so desperately needed!!

Great work DMA :(

Also good to see 'the face' of the petition is a cattle dog!! :laugh:

And here's a couple of more of the girl when she was an inmate. Notice the difference :laugh:

k15a.jpg

k15b.jpg

k15c.jpg

I was lucky enough to see her go yesterday morning, although I must admit I had teary eyes...

Edited by DMA

Our first advertisement for the petition has been published in the local paper...

ad240210.jpg

This is just the small one. There's going to be a 1/4 page ad next week. So hopefully we'll get a good response from locals.

And, needless to say, if you haven't signed the petition as yet, please do so by following the link: http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitions/ces...imal-pound.html

Edited by DMA

good luck - I've already signed the petition and really hope they are not too blind to notice it. I spose we just have to shout louder!

Thanks ;)

Hopefully today's ad, in the Public Notices section (page 28 for people who get the Advertiser), will cater for people who take an interest in such things, whilst the big ad next week will be on page 3 or 5. So hopefully everyone will see that one.

If you haven't read by now, the big ad has been published in the Cessnock Advertiser today (page 3 if you can get a copy). Here it is:

bigad.jpg

Similarly the newspaper has written up a very favourable article for us on page 5. Here it is:

poundarticle.jpg

Hopefully we'll get a good response by locals. And, it goes without saying, if you haven't signed the petition yet, please do so by following this link: http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitions/ces...imal-pound.html

Just joined :)

I teach Animal Studies out of Kurri TAFE.......I am sorry to say that I have never been there personally :( ......let me know if I can help with anything!

Thanks for joining & signing the petition.

Given your expertise, maybe you could drop down to the pound for a quick look, then write up a report which you could submit to council suggesting ways to improve the place. In fact if we can submit it with the petition, it'll give the petition that much more weight.

I am teaching on Central Coast for the rest of the week. But I will be teaching @ Glendale TAFE on Monday arvo.....can I visit on Monday morning?

Can't spell!!!

Yes the pound is open to the public on Monday morning between 9-10am. It's also open on Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday mornings during the same time period (namely 9-10am).

And that'd be fantastic if you could write up some report about the pound as I doubt it's ever been done.

EDIT: We're trying to get the petition to council for the 17 March meeting. I hope that's enough time for you.

Edited by DMA

Just signed like fury, and made the rellos do ditto. Any time a pound's practices are up for re-assessment is a time for animal lovers to go like the clappers. Hup hup people, get the petition out there. Is anyone able to get this petition on other sites where it can draw gazillions of signatures?

It's a sad thing that it takes vandals to highlight the plight of animals - complacent, selfish, blinkered society that we are. These are the pets we love right here whose future is being decided. Maybe Kurri pound will raise the bar for councils around the country.

DMA, please post this in Rescue so it can be broadcast among the various rescues. The wonderful PetRescue site and people might also have some suggestions. More power to you. xx

Edited by hoffpig