Cpr On Puppy

PuggaWuggles

Gympie woman uses CPR to revive cattle dog puppy. - http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5013016,00.html

A GYMPIE mother has used her nursing skills to bring a cattle dog pup back to life using cardiopulmonary resuscitation after it was attacked by a 2m carpet snake.

Jeraldene McKenna used the kiss of life and gentle compressions to revive the four-week-old pup after retrieving its limp body from the clutches of the python.

The drama unfolded at the family's Tandur property south of Gympie when Mrs McKenna and her husband, Shane, were alerted by a night-time ruckus in the pen where red cattle dog bitch Samantha was nursing her eight puppies.

In torchlight they saw Samantha trying to fend off the large snake which was rearing to strike at her while its tail was wrapped around the neck of the little pup they called Grace.

When Mr McKenna chased off the snake, Mrs McKenna said she picked up the puppy and thought the worst.

"Its tongue was hanging out, it was all blue, it just looked dead. Then I just thought, 'if this was a baby what would I do?' so I gave it two rescue breaths and started to push on its chest."

Carrying the lifeless body back to their house, she continued giving the pup breaths and compressions and after a couple of minutes it managed a very weak breath on its own.

"To be honest, I thought it was going to be brain dead and I thought 'what are we going to do now?' but I took it back out to its mother waiting by the door and I laid it down on the ground," said Mrs McKenna.

"She started to lick it and it lifted up and started suckling, then it stood up. It was amazing. I could not believe it."

Mrs McKenna was inspired to try CPR, learned as a nurse at Nambour General Hospital, after a friend and fellow nurse, Jo Garrett, saved a drowning sheep the same way.

What a lucky pup!

I've often wondered about this - about whether I could perform CPR on a pet and if it would do any good if I did. Although, not being a nurse I'm not too

sure I'd be as effective. I've always been trained in first aid but luckily never had to use it.

Wow thats amazing, When my cat (now 18 yo) was born, she was the first one out and she was just limp and I am sure that she had no heart beat, I waited to see what the mum cat would do and she didn't do anything as she had 5 more to deliver, so I picked her up and while I didn't give her mouth to mouth, I blew on her face lightly and I rubbed her chest, she was limp and lifeless, as I blew I rubbed for maybe 5 - 10 seconds and then she took this massive big breath. It was amazing, Im sure if I had of left her she wouldnt be here today!!

I had to give mouth to mouth to one of my girls a few weeks ago when she stopped breathing. The most amazing adrenalin rush of my life. And so scary too. I thought she was dead until I found a pulse.

:laugh: scary stuff!!

I've given CPR to a couple of newborn puppies. One took 10 minutes to finally take a breath on its own, but it was fine after that with no obvious deficites from being resusitated :laugh:

Just got to use soft breaths on puppies as you don't want to over inflate the lungs and risk bursting them. Cover their mouth and nose with your mouth and puff the air in. As for compressions, the heart is located just behind the front legs so again, gentle pushes to help circulate the blood.

It's the best feeling when you bring it back to life :)

Earlier on it says "in the pen" so to me it sounds like they gave a run set up... :thanks:

Its amazing to hear the stories of peopel saving their pets, or even newborns. :thumbsup:

I'd hope I could manage it on my animals, if I'm not in tears and on the floor myself. :party:

Yep I have revived a cat. When I was vet nursing I was assisting a 'new' vet in surgery and the cat stopped breathing. I immediately said to the vet breathing has stopped and the vet started freaking out and just sat there looking at the cat, I then said more alarmingly 'she is not breathing' followed up with 'do something' and the vet just sat there in shock :thumbsup: with that I pushed the vet out of the way and began cpr. I revived the cat and the whole time the vet just stood there in some kind of shock. Later that day the vet was dismissed & the cat went home to her loving owners :whisper:

I have saved two pugs lives by giving mouth to snout.

One was for about 6 to 7 minutes untill she started breathing again on her own. She had a blue tounge and dilated pupils before I started the mouth to snout. The other screamed, frothed at the mouth and stopped breathing taking about two minutes to come back.

Scary stuff but I am glad that I used my gut instincts each time and both pugs are alive and happy. I now include a CPR instruction sheet in our rescue pugs adoption folders.