Can Anything Be Done To Keep Cats Away?

ruthless

The people renting the house two doors down have two cats that KEEP waking me up really early miaowing outside our bedroom window. I've spoken to the owner and she doesn't care. Is there anything I can get to keep them out of our garden, driveway and front verandah? Something other than a dog? :laugh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of those big pump action water pistols. Put a little vinegar in with the water.

Problem with that is that you have to be around to be able to do this. And if that cat is as wiley as the one I have that invites itself to my backyard and into my house when I leave the back door open (to investigate the possibility of food that might still be in the dog's bowl, or worse, up on my kitchen bench :laugh:), there is no way it is going to come over while the OP is out in the yard nor linger once the OP steps out the back door.

Edited by Erny

I've spoken to the owner and she doesn't care.

That's just dandy, isn't it? Yet these same people "looooooooove" their cats "sooooooooo" much, but happy for their cat to be out and about going who knows where and getting into who knows what trouble and danger in the meantime.

That's just dandy, isn't it? Yet these same people "looooooooove" their cats "sooooooooo" much, but happy for their cat to be out and about going who knows where and getting into who knows what trouble and danger in the meantime.

That's what I was going say. Her cats should be inside!!! So what would one do if they were woken by 2 dogs going for it every morning under their window?

I take it back, it seems she does care after all :laugh:

I kind of exploded at her at 6.30 this morning and later I found a letter in the letterbox asking what time they'd like us to keep the cats inside until in the mornings. Frankly I'd like the cats to never be in my garden cause the dogs go troppo when they're there, but I'll settle for not waking me up for starters and work from there.

I've gotten up to squirt them more times than I can remember. I've even thrown a whole vase of water on one but they just keep coming back.

There's no cat curfew laws in NSW AFAIK.

A council trap/trip to the pound.

We called out local council here about he same problem and asked if they have traps and we were told - we can't trap cats and take them to the pound... So OH asked if we set a trap to catch a possum in the roof and it caught a cat, could we take it to the pound... Once again we were told no - you can't trap cats...

My local council has Cat curfew laws cats must be inside from 5pm to 9am and never pose a menace to the public or their property. Council are pretty strict with it too after a local matter was dealt with due to a dog attack on a man's cat. (I live in NSW) the local court ruled in the dog's favor saying that cat's must be taught not to trespass. So I would still check with the council even though the matter is settled for now.

--Lhok

There's a great spray I've used to train my cats. I'll have to check the name of it when I get home but its not expensive and can be bought from most pet stores. As an outdoor application I imagine you would need to spray it maybe twice a day but once the cats have smelled it a few times they won't be back. It does smell pretty bad (to humans) but is not unbarable. I think it may come in garden pellets as well.

In indoor training, a few days of spraying the 'no-go' area and the cats get the idea. I can even just pick up the bottle now and they'll go running.

It may also be worth washing the area down with vinegar, they may be attracted to that area because another cat has previously been there.

If water restrictions allow it, you could try turning a sprinkler on when you know they are most likely to visit.

As a side note, I understand this is a dog forum but as a cat lover and owner of indoor cats my whole life, I find it frightening how often trapping is the first response to these issues. I'd be beseide myself if one of my cats got outside one day and ended up in a trap. :laugh::)

As a side note, I understand this is a dog forum but as a cat lover and owner of indoor cats my whole life, I find it frightening how often trapping is the first response to these issues. I'd be beseide myself if one of my cats got outside one day and ended up in a trap. :laugh::)

Better off in my cat trap , then to be ripped to pieces by my dogs.

I no longer tolerate any cat in my yard, even for the first time. They make my dogs bark and I will not have a council complaint lodged against my dogs.

My neighbours shouldn't have to put up with dogs barking and as a responsible dog owner, I will take whatever steps I fell are necessary to prevent this.

If dogs get out, they are taken to the pound, so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for a roaming cat.

Edited by SBT123