Dog Attacks

Jed

Ch 9 news tonight. 7 dog attacks a day in SE Qld. Most by staffordshire bull terriers and crosses, followed by ACD and kelpie crosses. 8 (for the year) attacks by pitbulls. Didn't mention whether they were pure or cross. No more information than that, except numbers by council areas, and a list of breeds which attacked, too fast for me to write down

Ch 9 news tonight. 7 dog attacks a day in SE Qld. Most by staffordshire bull terriers and crosses, followed by ACD and kelpie crosses. 8 (for the year) attacks by pitbulls. Didn't mention whether they were pure or cross. No more information than that, except numbers by council areas, and a list of breeds which attacked, too fast for me to write down

Nope...

Number one breed was "Staffordshire Terriers and their related breeds"

Number two was Australian Cattle Dogs/Kelpies

Also on the list (about nine or ten) was "Labradors and Retrievers"

Very high class piece of reporting from people who obviously had a strong grasp on their subject matter. :laugh:

it honestly made me mad to watch that...no comments from dog owners no nothing..basically 5 mins of bawking about how dogs are bad, 7 a day? what do they class as an attack?

made me mad too, an attack a i've read in the council laws could be from charging at someone or another dog to actually biting someone or making them feel threatened, even when nothing happens, they just have to report it to the coucnil and WHAMMO it's in the stats!!

So top was SBT, but they are the most populus (i think) dog in australia, and every other mongrel is crossed with a staffy. Stats prove absolutely nothing.

APBT was flashed in the screen in BIG BOLD LETTERS, for 8 attacks. (why they done this is only too obvious as they glassed over all the other info) to put it in persective labs came in at 160 attacks, though again i couldn't care what numbers they are in because every 'attack' is different.

Stupid waste of time, utter crap. only fueling the BSL fire.

Do these friggin reporters have nothing better to do? than speculate on things they nothing about.

If my boss said, "hey say this.. blah blah blah". I'd say well i'd rather present something different or factual and representative, but these people are only interested in the sound of their own voice on TV, they don't care about the people that got 'attacked' or the animals involved, they care about ratings and money and their careers.

Ok ranting a bit, i'll stop.

And if you'd titled it "Most common breeds and crosses in the region" you could probably have named the same dogs.

Go figure. :rofl:

Hey guys. Why are you complaining on DOL about this instead of letting channel 9 know they're doing a rotten job? Or have you done both? (I hope so).

p.s. I don't watch Channel 9, so can't comment on the program.

Edited by sandgrubber

I stopped watching "current affairs" shows a long time ago but lately even the news broadcasts seem to have sunk to the same pathetic level. So I never bother to watch the news anymore either. I sometimes switch on around 25 past the hour so I can catch the weather report, but that's it.

So this kind of rubbish reporting doesn't surprise me. I honestly think since the advent of the internet and everyone getting their news and info from the net blogs, various alternative websites etc etc, journalists have become worse and worse and the profession can barely claim the title "journalism" any more.