Respect Or Love?

Shakti

I was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this issue please. I believe my GSD loves me - he is distressed when someone attempts to take him away from me - he cries if I am out of his sight etc - and he is very obedient to me (but not as much for my husband or kids) .

However....when we went to see K9-Force and also Cesar Milan, both times my dog turned adoring eyes on them and gave every appearance of being willing to follow them anywhere!

My question is - does a dog love us only so long as we are their Leader and when a more calm/assertive more charismatic leader comes along they will transfer their respect to them?

Your assumption is correct. But to say a dog is capable of love is untrue. The dog will repsect and gravitate strongly towards you but it cannot 'love' like a human can.

he is distressed when someone attempts to take him away from me - he cries if I am out of his sight etc - and he is very obedient to me

It is a trait bred into the GSD. Also makes some individuals a total PITA :eek: You are his crutch, he knows his habits and limitations with you and hence carries on when removed as he doesnt have his safety net anymore. You can train that out of a dog, depending on how strong the nerve is.

Thanks Nekhbet - yes it is all as you say!

Ben is not an anxious or confused dog but he does feel far more secure with me and acts very *loving* with me and I am certainly his pack leader but I also know that he responds well to people who are even MORE of a Pack Leader than I am. This does seem to hold true for many other dogs I have noticed and observed - hence my original question!

Personally, I don't think you can difinitively state that dogs do not feel some kind of feeling comparable to love.

I am not anthropomorphising. Just not willing to rule it out due to the fact that we don't actually have the tools capable of measuring such a thing.

Personally, I don't think you can difinitively state that dogs do not feel some kind of feeling comparable to love.

I am not anthropomorphising. Just not willing to rule it out due to the fact that we don't actually have the tools capable of measuring such a thing.

please please please do not flame me for this -- it is not a criticism but an observation that I sat looking at for 10 minutes and decided I could not let it pass.

It might've been a typo, but I am genuinely perplexed that you could write/spell word two (above) but not word one ?

I am nice, I really am, but this caught my eye.

Running off now ..... :eek:

Edited by mrs tornsocks

GSD's IMHO are very loyal dogs to the person that deserves it and earns it. If you are the one that does the bulk of care eg feeding, training, fun stuff they will become very devoted. This may become a problem if it causes anxiety when seperated from you. I dont think we can interperate it as love but it means you are their pack leader with alot of responsibilities for their welfare. I once had a beautiful GSD bitch that the breeder, (a close friend) gave to me on condition that she could breed from her. She was 11months when I got her and was the most loyal dog Ive ever had. In the end I couldnt leave her in kennels or even with the breeder as she sat waiting for me and would hardly look at anybody else. This was very flattering but probably not that good for her. She wasnt a spoilt dog and always had time in a kennel and cage but as she got older it got harder for both of us.

Poodlefan is probably right about the anxiety thing and I know you wernt asking for advice but here comes some......address the anxiety and make life easier for both of you.

However....when we went to see K9-Force and also Cesar Milan, both times my dog turned adoring eyes on them and gave every appearance of being willing to follow them anywhere!

Oooh I am SO trying to fight off the green-eyed monster right now :laugh: