Help

MrBusy

Morning all,

I am going quite spare with my 11mth old Border Collie pup. He travels to work with me most days and I must say this is not a pleasant experience.

He loves the car, gets in with no problem - BUT then as we get into traffic he barks, howls, pants heavily, bites at the back head rests etc. His behaviour is especially bad when bikes go past.

I have tried treats, pig ears, toys to keep him occupied but to no avail. Even yelled at him on occasion - not good. He was very good for about two weeks then it has all started again, carn't put my finger on why.

Have just purchased a never ending treat thingy and am hoping this may work on the way home. Travel time is about 40mins.

Tomorrow I am going to go another way to work to see if this may have any affect on his behaviour.

He is a super dog I just wished we could get over this hurdle. Even thought of a blind fold him but that would not be nice. Carn't black out the back car windows as this is quite illegal.

Any suggestions would be very much appreicated.

Thank you

Travel him in a crate, either metal or a soft crate and cover him up on the sides, so he can't see the traffic

ETA: He's not stressed ( you are by his behaviour ), he's excited and over stimulated by the traffic. It's fun for him to bark at the cars and chase them as they go past.

Edited by SBT123

Agree with SBT123.

you have a working breed- who are bred to respond to fast moving things (like sheep) When they see this movement they are 'programmed to RUN/herd'

With this constant stimulus, and no chance to do what his brain is demanding- he finds other outlets - like chewing/barking. :laugh:

He would be anxious, because he cannot do as nature intended....

what mental exercise does he get?Training sessions,flyball, herding, lots of obedience at home...... he sounds as if he needs a bit more to tire out his very active brain :rofl:

Excellent suggestion about the crate....& cover view of the traffic. I'd pop one of the huge dried chewy thingies in the crate with him, so he can be kept busy. Or a kong stuffed with kibble. And what sas said, re checking with a behaviorist if there's any other way, out of the crate. Like behaviorists have helped turn working breeds off trying to organise the moving mower.

So true about his breed.....while you're driving to work, he's starting work organising the moving traffic. Also great advice to channel his fantastic working drive via activities where he can let it rip. He'll make you proud when trained for such activities.

My 9 month kelpie rounds up cars and especially large trucks and road signs. She developed the habit while on a road trip from Marlo to Makay. I stopped her (well most of the time) by holding her lead and growling at her when she did it. Now when she sees something coming towards us she hides from the temptation, then brings her head up slowly when she thinks is is safe. Typical working dog. She has plenty to keep her brain busy as she works on the farm, chases flys, we do a bit of agility in the back yard and shes got a 9 month old male kelpie as a companion.

You may have to crate your dog as others have suggested. Good luck.