Council ‘kills’ Kids’ Puppy Dog

Steve

http://city-news.whereilive.com.au/your-ne...bred-puppy-dog/

All Lachlan, Jack and Lilly wanted from santa was a Border Collie dog. It was on the christmas list, delivered with bells on and the children were so excited. Little did the kids know that the Ipswich City Council Pound would kill the poor doggy without cross referencing with the RSPCA.

‘Josephine’ was sent to us at Peak Crossing all the way from a reputable Townsvelle breeder. She was wonderful dog for the children, gentle, timid and friendly. Very pretty and clean. We even had her desexed before she was sent to us.

Sadly, the day after boxing day ‘Josephine’ dug under the fence and escaped before we had the chance to register or coller her. The local council and vets were closed over christmas. The children were crushed, but began searching for her.

Quickly we registered Josephine with the RSPCA as a missing pet and put her photo up on their internet site. We checked the Ipswich City Council’s website for any animals matching our dog’s description and posted leaflets around our local community and vet.

To make things worse, the day the dog escaped Mummy was put in hospital due to illness for the 3rd time during that year. So the kids and daddy were doing their best to search as well as driving a hour each way to visit mummy in the hospital.

By chance the local postman told us that a gentleman in Purga handed the dog into the Ipswich City Council Pound on the condition that it would’nt be put down. To our delight we rang the pound to get our dog back, but were horrified with the news that it was put down the day before.

Ipswich City Council Pound did not cross reference with the RSPCA before they put her down otherwise Josephine would have been returned to us.

I would have thought the RSPCA would be the first place they would liase with.

It has been such a horrible experience for the children to have their beautiful dog put down while their mummy was in hospital. It wasn’t fair for our kids or the dog. I don’t think we will be getting another animal for a long time.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Distressing but if you pay a very small fee to the RSPCA when you register your dog missing they will do all the cross checks with pound facilities for youon a daily basis. It is called Pet Detect. The pounds don't have an obligation to check with the RSPCA. I must admit Ipswich Council is a bug bear as after hours or weekends they do not have ANY ability to register your dog with them as lost and you have to remember to contact them on the next working day.

All Lachlan, Jack and Lilly wanted from santa was a Border Collie dog. It was on the christmas list, delivered with bells on and the children were so excited. Little did the kids know that the Ipswich City Council Pound would kill the poor doggy without cross referencing with the RSPCA.

‘Josephine’ was sent to us at Peak Crossing all the way from a reputable Townsvelle breeder. She was wonderful dog for the children, gentle, timid and friendly. Very pretty and clean. We even had her desexed before she was sent to us.

Sadly, the day after boxing day ‘Josephine’ dug under the fence and escaped before we had the chance to register or coller her. The local council and vets were closed over christmas. The children were crushed, but began searching for her.

Quickly we registered Josephine with the RSPCA as a missing pet and put her photo up on their internet site. We checked the Ipswich City Council’s website for any animals matching our dog’s description and posted leaflets around our local community and vet.

To make things worse, the day the dog escaped Mummy was put in hospital due to illness for the 3rd time during that year. So the kids and daddy were doing their best to search as well as driving a hour each way to visit mummy in the hospital.

By chance the local postman told us that a gentleman in Purga handed the dog into the Ipswich City Council Pound on the condition that it would’nt be put down. To our delight we rang the pound to get our dog back, but were horrified with the news that it was put down the day before.

Ipswich City Council Pound did not cross reference with the RSPCA before they put her down otherwise Josephine would have been returned to us.

It has been such a horrible experience for the children to have their beautiful dog put down while their mummy was in hospital. It wasn’t fair for our kids or the dog. I don’t think we will be getting another animal for a long time.

From the Ipswich Council website:

"Cats and dogs are held at the Pound for three working days, while livestock is held for seven working days. "

It doesn't say what happens to them after that. Don't they offer (or outsource) an adoption service? Or are they automatically destroyed after 3 days. That's criminal!

And why on earth is the holding period more than double for livestock (which typically owners are not as emotionally attached to as they are family pets)??

'Josephine' was sent to us at Peak Crossing all the way from a reputable Townsvelle breeder. She was wonderful dog for the children, gentle, timid and friendly. Very pretty and clean. We even had her desexed before she was sent to us.

Sadly, the day after boxing day 'Josephine' dug under the fence and escaped before we had the chance to register or coller her. The local council and vets were closed over christmas. The children were crushed, but began searching for her.

Quickly we registered Josephine with the RSPCA as a missing pet and put her photo up on their internet site. We checked the Ipswich City Council's website for any animals matching our dog's description and posted leaflets around our local community and vet.

By chance the local postman told us that a gentleman in Purga handed the dog into the Ipswich City Council Pound on the condition that it would'nt be put down. To our delight we rang the pound to get our dog back, but were horrified with the news that it was put down the day before.

It has been such a horrible experience for the children to have their beautiful dog put down while their mummy was in hospital. It wasn't fair for our kids or the dog. I don't think we will be getting another animal for a long time.

From the Ipswich Council website:

"Cats and dogs are held at the Pound for three working days, while livestock is held for seven working days. "

It doesn't say what happens to them after that. Don't they offer (or outsource) an adoption service? Or are they automatically destroyed after 3 days. That's criminal!

And why on earth is the holding period more than double for livestock (which typically owners are not as emotionally attached to as they are family pets)??

Yes that is crimminal and I thnk perhaps its time we did something about it.

Someone help me out to save me time -the awards have me snowed in - This is a local policy particular to this queensland pound and not state wide - is that right?

Someone help me out to save me time -the awards have me snowed in - This is a local policy particular to this queensland pound and not state wide - is that right?

No unfortunatley it is state wide.

Some councils will hold dogs longer but they are under no legal obligation to.

Ipswich pound are "difficult" to work with although Varicool did manage to a little bit.

It's a pity because in most ways Ipswich is a very progressive council.

No unfortunatley it is state wide.

Some councils will hold dogs longer but they are under no legal obligation to.

Ipswich pound are "difficult" to work with although Varicool did manage to a little bit.

It's a pity because in most ways Ipswich is a very progressive council.

So they can hold them longer if they want to - is that right ?

Actually, the more I think about it ... I think there is a very good chance that someone from the council decided to keep the puppy and claim that it was destroyed.

She was a pure bred border collie puppy. The story doesn't say how old, but you can assume well under 6 months. It just doesn't make sense that she was destroyed - unless the people who work at this pound are totally barbaric.

IMO, there is a very good chance she was taken by a council worker either to keep as a pet or to on sell for hundreds of dollars.

May i add, i am from Ipswich and 25 years ago my purebred choc kelpie was taken from our backyard by the garbo. I was devistated as i didnt know how she got out. We searched and searched. We lived across from Queens park where the council had their nursery. We went down there and the white collar worker said no they hadnt seen her. As we were walking back to the car a man from the council came to us and said a garbo put her there till he finished his shift 3 days earlier. We noticed the white collar worker jump in a car and go straight to the depo where the trucks were my husband at the time walked straight up and said wheres my dog. He lived at peak crossing this man and he went and brought her back STILL WITH HER REGO TAG AROUND HER NECK. If there is anything i can do to help out i will do with pleasure. I do have a friend who is in animal control in Ipswich now. I will question her on this lil pup

Edited by sandra64

May i add, i am from Ipswich and 25 years ago my purebred choc kelpie was taken from our backyard by the garbo. I was devistated as i didnt know how she got out. We searched and searched. We lived across from Queens park where the council had their nursery. We went down there and the white collar worker said no they hadnt seen her. As we were walking back to the car a man from the council came to us and said a garbo put her there till he finished his shift 3 days earlier. We noticed the white collar worker jump in a car and go straight to the depo where the trucks were my husband at the time walked straight up and said wheres my dog. He lived at peak crossing this man and he went and brought her back STILL WITH HER REGO TAG AROUND HER NECK. If there is anything i can do to help out i will do with pleasure. I do have a friend who is in animal control in Ipswich now. I will question her on this lil pup

Could you also please ask questions about laws and regulations which we cant do anything about at Ipswich level so we know what we can and cant change localy before we work out a plan to get them to wake up to themselves.

Could you also please ask questions about laws and regulations which we cant do anything about at Ipswich level so we know what we can and cant change localy before we work out a plan to get them to wake up to themselves.

Will do. I will ask for a copy of it. It is pitiful what they have done. Can't imagine the pain for that family, as the outcome can't be changed.

Edited by sandra64

Actually, the more I think about it ... I think there is a very good chance that someone from the council decided to keep the puppy and claim that it was destroyed.

She was a pure bred border collie puppy. The story doesn't say how old, but you can assume well under 6 months. It just doesn't make sense that she was destroyed - unless the people who work at this pound are totally barbaric.

IMO, there is a very good chance she was taken by a council worker either to keep as a pet or to on sell for hundreds of dollars.

I'm not defending the ICC by any means but that's a huge accusation to make :rofl:

About 5 years ago a Mini Foxie escaped at 3pm on Christmas Eve. His owner searched. Someone 2 streets away said they caught him, phoned the pound, and they came and got him. Pound dogs in that area are sent to RSPCA at Dakabin. By the time the owner found out, it was too late to do anything

Owner arrived at the RSPCA at 7am on Christmas morning, banged and called and waited till lunch time. No one came.

Went back at 3pm, waited till 6. Still no one. Dogs were inside

Did the same on Boxing day, and the two following days which were holidays.

First working day, arrived at 8am Was told his dog had been held the statutory 3 days and euthed.

How fair was that? He was an older gentleman and too traumatised to complain, although he did write a letter to Pine Rivers Shire Council

Edited by Jed

About 5 years ago a Mini Foxie escaped at 3pm on Christmas Eve. His owner searched. Someone 2 streets away said they caught him, phoned the pound, and they came and got him. Pound dogs in that area are sent to RSPCA at Dakabin. By the time the owner found out, it was too late to do anything

Owner arrived at the RSPCA at 7am on Christmas morning, banged and called and waited till lunch time. No one came.

First working day, arrived at 8am Was told his dog had been held the statutory 3 days and euthed.

How fair was that? He was an older gentleman and too traumatised to complain, although he did write a letter to Pine Rivers Shire Council

RSPCA has a 24 hour line which is run at the Fairfield Shelter. Whilst I understand the stress of this gentleman and do feel sorry for him all it would have taken was a call to the RSPCA and they would have put a "hold possible match" on the dog.

The RSPCA is not perfect but in my experience they do try to give the dogs a fair go. Dogs only need to be held for 3 days but they don't get entered the first day and pts is late on the last day so in effect they are getting five days before pts happens.

I am not sure of the processes at Ipswich but it is more difficult there since you can't even notify them you have lost your dog after hours and they refer everyone to the RSPCA for both lost and found animals which is an hour's drive away.

I would imagine livestock get 7 days cause the average farmer doesn't check all their stock everyday and it would be reasonable to expect a person to miss their pet within three days, whereas a farmer may not notice stock missing for a bit longer.

I am not sure of the processes at Ipswich but it is more difficult there since you can't even notify them you have lost your dog after hours and they refer everyone to the RSPCA for both lost and found animals which is an hour's drive away.

It takes 30 minutes in good traffic to drive from Fairfield (RSPCA) to Ipswich and vice versa.

I live a couple of minutes away from the RSPCA and have driven to Ipswich many times. From here. Last time I drove it in 25 minutes.

RSPCA has a 24 hour line which is run at the Fairfield Shelter. Whilst I understand the stress of this gentleman and do feel sorry for him all it would have taken was a call to the RSPCA and they would have put a "hold possible match" on the dog.

The RSPCA is not perfect but in my experience they do try to give the dogs a fair go. Dogs only need to be held for 3 days but they don't get entered the first day and pts is late on the last day so in effect they are getting five days before pts happens.

I would imagine livestock get 7 days cause the average farmer doesn't check all their stock everyday and it would be reasonable to expect a person to miss their pet within three days, whereas a farmer may not notice stock missing for a bit longer.

My guess is that the gentleman didn't know about the hotline. How many everyday people would know something like that?

--Lhok

My guess is that the gentleman didn't know about the hotline. How many everyday people would know something like that?

--Lhok

I'm not suggesting he did, just trying to put forward a balanced argument. Five years ago things were different and that number may not have been available then but from memory I think it was. As I have said the RSPCA is not perfect but I sometimes cringe when I read things written that vilify the shelters when I know the lengths that the staff go to to try to locate owners for these dogs before they are pts. A search is even conducted IMMEDIATELY before pts, just to make sure their owner has not put in a last minute report.

For the record I do not work for the RSPCA but do volunteer and do foster for them. I also do breed specific rescue for a breed that does not necessarily have a good reputation within pounds and shelters or within the veterinary community so I think that places me in a position to view the world from both sides.